Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my 2000 FD 700 had some issues with keeping it going in a straight line down the trails. One problem was my carbides were pretty much non existent. I replaced them, it helped a little, at least now I can turn. Added some shims, it helped a little more. Now that I got that resolved, at least I think I do, I can't get it to "hook up". My rear end just seems to do nothing but spin and fish tail. A few friends that I have in the snowmobile community say that I need to stud my track. I can kind of agree, but then disagree. Before, the carbides that came on my sled seemed to do the job, and I never noticed that I was doing much fishtailing, if any at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya know, I really like this old sled. In fact, I like it more than my son's 2018 900 ACE 4 stroke. I love the power of the ACE, but it just does not feel right. The throttle is too sensitive to use. In the part of Michigan we sled, trails can get pretty rough, and going through them, you are constantly hitting the throttle when you don't want to due to condition of trails.
So, I want to keep my ole 700 going as long as I can afford to.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
If it was ok before and got like this suddenly, you need to get it in and look over the suspension. Maybe you have something broke or wore out in the front of the skid making it get way too much ski pressure. I would say to check all your spring settings, but again, if it was ok before…shouldn’t have to. You can always try taking some spring adjustment off the skis, or crank the front skid spring some.

Have you driven it more than one ride? Are you sure it wasn’t just the trail conditions? Is the track wore down a lot by chance?

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you have the original track that’d be your problem. Studs and carbides are dependent on each other. If you put in 144 studs your stock 4” carbides need to be changed to 8”. Sounds like your new carbides are biting hard and the track isn’t biting hard enough

1 - 6 of 6 Posts