Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Formula Deluxe 600 Intermittent Starter

956 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RyanWall 
#1 ·
I havent seen anyone discuss the exact symptoms that we're experiencing. Thus the new topic. Really looking for people who have gone through this.

Buddy of mine bought a formula deluxe cheap. It has fairly high km, and was without a good charge on the battery when purchased. The previous owner was a family friend who had been sick for a while, and passed before we came into it so it's a bit of a mystery. After putting a good battery in, we found that the starter would only sometimes spin up and engage as intended. Other times it seems to want to just hardly turn the starter motor and whine much like when you pull part way on the trigger of your electric drill. Looks like a new solenoid on the starter. Battery reads quite well on the load tester.

I think we're going to be headed for tearing into the starter to find that it binds up sometimes. When we put a battery charger on a boost circuit it becomes more reliable, but like I said the battery is good. I'm thinking that the starter needs a rebuild and the extra juice from the booster allows it to overcome whatever is making it stick.

Any ideas or similar experiences are welcomed.

#3 ·
sounds like a bad starter to me.......bushings bad and binding maybe. if it seems to turn a little easier as you said when you add a charger, you are increasing the voltage slightly which adds more torque to the starter which may slghtly overcome the gremlins inside..........It sounds like everything else is working.

cheers

#4 ·
So as a check I connected it directly to the battery. Worked flawlessly every time. As with when I short from the hot side of the solenoid to the key signal wire. Works great. So i'm thinking its a bad connection or the switch is going bad.

Next I'm going to wire up a bypass switch

#6 ·
Yea, the ground on the starter was cleaned and tightened at both ends. It's a short run from the rear of the starter to the chassis so I made sure it wasn't broken or anything.

I'll try that to confirm that it's properly grounded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.