Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 96 formula z 583. Because of lack of snow, haven't ridden but 23 miles so far.
The problem is that if I go out to start the sled cold, I prime it 2-3 times it usually starts, runs if I keep my hand on throttle and give it primer. All of a sudden it will just quit. If I take off, usually it will fall on its face every 100 ft. then no matter how much you pull, it wont start. The more you pull the more it floods. It took me three hours and nine plugs to get it to run today. I have popped blisters on my hands from pulling it 300-400 hundred times today. I took the carbs off, cleaned.

When I did get it to the pond, it started first pull, rode it around, started good again, third time did not start. another 50 pulls, the plugs are soaked. set them on the woodstove, dried em up, went back out and it started first pull. then my friend took it up to 95 in dreamo on pond, ran good.

What gives? The guys sitting in the truck said the headlight didn't even flicker while pulling it over.
It almost seems like it has intermittent spark. I dunno.
I got it for a good price, it is in good shape, when it runs it goes good. I got it in mid jan from a ski doo dealer, I don't want to be a pain in the "edit for bad language" but this is killing me.
I had a new 503 fan with twin 34's, it was primer, and did not have this much trouble, and that thing was a pain in the "edit for bad language".

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Don't know about not starting after its been running. Sometimes we have to crack the throttle a bit to get it to start, if not it will sit there and not run. As for starting it for the first time in the day. Prime it 2-3 times and it will start, keep priming until it can run on its own. Once running let if warm up, put the back up on a stand and get it going a bit before you just take off. All of the 583's are cold blooded, they take for ever to come a live, but relax and let it warm up....It's the best thing for it!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got a Z 583 and if it starts up once, but then won't start, have someone hold the throttle in about 1/2 to 3/4 open and it should start right up. I really like my sled and I think it's great. Also if your starting it up after you've been riding don't prime it.
hope this helps

·
Registered
67 Posts
yes i think that once it is runing you shuld not have to prime to start again it has fuel run through it and shuld be good also you may need to check your needle and seat you may have cleand the carbs but your needle and seat do ware out maybe this helps good luck keep us posted....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Make sure your plug wires are connected tightly into the coil, also the plug end could be wore out and not seating properly. Your gas fresh? If not dry gas/octane boost it. These 583's are near bullet proof, I've owned/own a few. They can be finicky starters though, some of my buds hated my 97 583 mxz when we would switch sleds, because of the starting. NO primer when its warm, I always crack the throttle 1/4 or so when I start a rotary valve engine. Don't be hatin the girl just work with her! Best of luck, macker

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
The carbs on a rotary valve engine are so much lower than the fuel tank the fuel presure puts to much load on the ftoat checks . This causes fluding some tines so bad it will fill the crank case . When this happens they are real hard to start they only cure is new needle and seat .

·
SnomoSnob
2,587 Posts
hey,
replace the carb fuel inlet valve and seat, i'd bet as you pull it's pumping fuel past the valve and into your engine, also replace your primer and lines. I've had issues with both.
later
Gutz

·
Registered
984 Posts
hey my bro has the formula 670 and on cold days he usually prims it 3-4 times and within 2 pulls she starts and it will need to be primed every 10 secs since it will die out but once it gets warmed up it is good to go and we never had problems with it not starting after it has been warm...

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
My 583 MXz will do the warm start hang-up. I think it could be from shutting it down to soon after a hard pull. I think things being hot allows fuel to get past the neddle and seat and flood it. Let it idle for a minute to get some cooling fuel through and see if that helps. When it does hang up and not want to start. Have someone hold the throttle at 1/4 and keep pulling to keep the engine spinning and it should catch soon.

These little engines can be finiky like that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Party Chief said:
My 583 MXz will do the warm start hang-up. I think it could be from shutting it down to soon after a hard pull. I think things being hot allows fuel to get past the neddle and seat and flood it. Let it idle for a minute to get some cooling fuel through and see if that helps. When it does hang up and not want to start. Have someone hold the throttle at 1/4 and keep pulling to keep the engine spinning and it should catch soon.

These little engines can be finiky like that.
[snapback]806695[/snapback]​
wierd stuff.
Now that the weather is warmer out, I can go out and start it on first pull and will run good.
did'nt get much of a chance this winter to run it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sleddude5 said:
Take the advice that others have given here and replace those carb inlet valves and seats.

Jerry C.
[snapback]806844[/snapback]​
what are those and where can I get em?
thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
doodman said:
Just bought a used 96 formula z 583. Because of lack of snow, haven't ridden but 23 miles so far.
The problem is that if I go out to start the sled cold, I prime it 2-3 times it usually starts, runs if I keep my hand on throttle and give it primer. All of a sudden it will just quit. If I take off, usually it will fall on its face every 100 ft. then no matter how much you pull, it wont start. The more you pull the more it floods. It took me three hours and nine plugs to get it to run today. I have popped blisters on my hands from pulling it 300-400 hundred times today. I took the carbs off, cleaned.

When I did get it to the pond, it started first pull, rode it around, started good again, third time did not start. another 50 pulls, the plugs are soaked. set them on the woodstove, dried em up, went back out and it started first pull. then my friend took it up to 95 in dreamo on pond, ran good.

What gives? The guys sitting in the truck said the headlight didn't even flicker while pulling it over.
It almost seems like it has intermittent spark. I dunno.
I got it for a good price, it is in good shape, when it runs it goes good. I got it in mid jan from a ski doo dealer, I don't want to be a pain in the "edit for bad language" but this is killing me.
I had a new 503 fan with twin 34's, it was primer, and did not have this much trouble, and that thing was a pain in the "edit for bad language".

Any suggestions?
[snapback]735496[/snapback]​
I have the same 583 except mine is a 97. I have trouble starting it but it is just a matter of getting used to. I usually prome it 3 times and pull. Once it starts, hit the primer again and hold the gas. It works almost every time.

·
SnomoSnob
2,587 Posts
Hey,
they are located in the carb bowl, on the inlet side, under the float lever arm. each carb has one, and it connects to the fuel inlet on the carb that attaches to the fuel line. It's a needle style valve, usually with a rubber looking tip. they are easy to remove, as is the seat. the seat unscrews with an 8-10mm socket. you can pick these up at any MX or Sled parts outlet. the primer can be purchased at the same locations.
later
Gutz

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
doodman said:
sleddude5 said:
Take the advice that others have given here and replace those carb inlet valves and seats.

Jerry C.
[snapback]806844[/snapback]​
what are those and where can I get em?
thanks
[snapback]807034[/snapback]​
Well, you can get the needle/seats for the fuel inlet to your carbs at your local dealer.

http://www.inglesperformance.com/fiche_section_detail.asp
Click above for a link to a pic of your carbs.

Jerry C.

·
Registered
928 Posts
get it started then use primer to keep at high idle,2800-3k or so, it should level out by itself, down on the pilot jet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts