Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes i know theres some of you who say theve never had a problem but thats not my question. the trails turned icey and took a little rain last weeknd ruining half my trip. i am buying a newer fan cooled sled(2010 or so) for this purpose. im eyeing a gsx 550f and i see arctic cat 570s,polaris IQs , and some yamaha phazers which are liquid cooled but are 4 strokes with radiators and fans. what would you get for a so called ditchbanger?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i buy ice scratchers and break them within 1 or 2 rides. not gonna buy any more. its either 30 deg or colder w plenty of snow or i ride the alternative machine. thats my question. something around a 2010 year in what i mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
X2 on 550F and add idler wheels to help keep the wear on the slides to a minimum. Great idea by the way. Should be a nice backup sled.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Had a little 440f that ripped the ditches and even took the kids around in the pow. Spun a 136x15x1.75 track
So looking newer I'd go with the 550f

There is no such thing as too much snow!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Rode a friends 550 f on the saine river( small narrow river) out here, great little sled and fairly light, easy to drift around the winding corners as well. For what it is it goes pretty good.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Lol in an honest world, a 550f is all a good handling snowmobile needs. Reliability, respectable power.

Since we aren't honest with our needs, we have 800s, 1000s, turbos and a whole bunch of crap that takes way too much money, experience and luck to make it run the way it 'should' lol. Can't ever leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I know it not a Doo, but a Polaris. Voyager 550 is a great sled. I have one at work and it has been awesome. Cast front end, piston port motor with radial fan (no reeds or belts to worry abt).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
picked up a super super clean mxz 550f w x package from KDogg5171 cool looking sled w/ the better track i believe theres one left now. very peppy sled almost launched it over trailer. no more cancelled trips cause of sh*ty cond and a nice sled to ride

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
You'll love it. We have an '05 and I don't think I'll ever sell it. Much better pounding out a 30 mile loop on that then sitting on the couch when it's too icy for the liquids. Been slowly converting it over to x-package specs. Flat bars with riser, 440 windshield, tunnel braces, rebuildable shocks, tach, x seat, 1 1/4" track, even got plastics from an '04 Blair Morgan on it.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
I've never touched it that way. Just happy it works as well as it does. Almost 20,000km and the motor has never been opened up. My youngest boy has been riding it since he was ten years old, we've had it for three winters now. 78 mph on radar with the 1 1/4" track is good enough for me. When if comes time I have to freshen up the motor, I might consider the Aaen pipe. But by that time it will be more of a backup sled as the boy will be moving up to a liquid. If you want to do some reading, member LRD was big into playing with the 550 a few years back. Probably find most of his posts in the rev mountain forum.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes ive seen some of them. alot of experimenting. i figured by now maybe someone has dialed one in nicely.

most people have the 600s so im sure a litttle fan cooled isnt really sought after as much these days hence my lack of responses.

i do see they sell pipes for em. expensive buggers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts