Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i was making a good move. I switched from the original steel skis to flex skis. I tried to ride this weekend. It was darn near impossible. The conditions were less than perfect. So, I am not sure if I can blame the skis just yet. There was about 5 inches of snow (not 5 feet 440man!) with a icy crust from rain a few days before. I first rode on fresh snow. The sled would dip & turn to one side, then to correct the dip, I had to turn the skis the opposite direction & that started the cycle. Back & forth to the point I had to slow down to stabilize the sled & try to start all over or get thrown off. Then I got on a road thinking it was just the icy crust of the fresh snow. But, the same thing happened. No dipping, but i went from side to side. I NEVER had that happen w/ the steel skis. I DO have the "ski correctors" on these flex skis. I thought they were supposed to take care of the darting. Then I turn the ski springs all the way UP, & turned the center suspension spring down 2 notches. Same thing happened. I would have no problem putting the steel skis back on but I wanted to wait to see if it was the snow conditions first.
P.S. I was following an 02 Grand Touring & he said his was a "little" harder to control than normal but he could still ride fast. I couldnt go above 40mph.
What do you think? Screw w/ the suspension or go to the old steel skis?

·
Samsquamch
1,652 Posts
check ski alignment,first and foremost...

Also,you adjusted your suspension the wrong way...you did the total opposite from what you should have done...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Dooinvt said:
check ski alignment,first and foremost...

Also,you adjusted your suspension the wrong way...you did the total opposite from what you should have done...
[snapback]260158[/snapback]​
Should I have adjusted the ski springs "down hill" (the lowest setting) & moved the center suspension spring "up hill"?
I am truly asking. I dont know crap about suspension set up!
Also w/ the ski alignment, I didnt change that from when the steel skis were on the sled. Would that change? Are you talking about the "tow" in or out?

·
Samsquamch
1,652 Posts
The stiffer you make your "center" shock=less pressure on your skis=lighter steering effort (if its too light it can "push" in the corners)

The softer you make your "center" shock=more weight on skis=harder to steer/and can cause more darting.

Your "ski" springs do the same thing (to an extent) the harder you make your "ski" springs=more pressure on the skis/visa - versa....

Put your ski springs in the middle,and put your "center" shock in the middle...that'll be a good place to start!

AND,I agree with 02summit800,the flex skis are great,keep adjusting,you'll get it and then you'll love them too!

oh yeah,you want your skis toe'd OUT in the front,usually 1/8 -1/4"...some guys go as far as 1/2"....do a "SEARCH" on ski alignment...it's talked about quite often ...

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.