Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SkiDoo Guru
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just some things to look for if your having these problems?(tight erave cables/dirtyrave valve) if the raves arn"t fully closed when first started the ecu senses a problem and puts the fuel system into rich mode.(low octanefuel) ecu knows there is a fuel problem by means of the knock sensor and puts the fuel system into rich mode also.(stuck injector /dirty injector)will also make it run rich .high ash oils are also another thing you don"t want to use with the sdi motors.(bad/fouled plug)another thing to look for.(up dates done incorrect/06to06orback to05)we have found it takes 7-10 times to get these updates installed correct.the cold start update isn"t as time consuming as the ecu updates.(rave cable adj.) we have also found it takes 4/5 trys to ge it correct and if you don"t run the engine over where it needs to cycle the raves and then shut the engine off to see if the raves are fully shut you will never get rid of this over rich problem!the servo motor must be able to reset itself when ever it cycles or the ecu will know and you"ll get that exsessive fuel problem.(bogging)a stuck rave valve(open)would cause this problem.just some things to maybe help those that are having these issues?this is a good motor but it seems alot of techs haven"t figured out how to do the fine tuning this motor wants yet and with the lack of snow its only made it that much harder .good luck!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
krm, Please PM me your phone # again... we need to talk. I took my sled to Seymores before I took my canada trip. They did all the updates... coolant plate, cold start, updated pins, checked cables............ anyway, I just did 860 in quebec last week and my right wheels are full of sut and the sled is shooting flames like a top fuel dragster. Can you please help me out with getting this thing updated correctly. I'll pay the $$$$ I just want it right. I'm heading back to quebec in a few weeks and I don't want to have any issues. Also, want to talk to you about you clutch kit. Give me a call Dave from Saratoga 518-573-9687

THANKS!!

·
SkiDoo Guru
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe brp should have also put a thermostat in this motor ? maybe in good snow conditions it never get hot enough to come out start (rich) mode .this could also cause the flames from running full rich.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
krm said:
maybe brp should have also put a thermostat in this motor ? maybe in good snow conditions it never get hot enough to come out start (rich) mode .this could also cause the flames from running full rich.
[snapback]704396[/snapback]​
Wasn't this one of the summits problems last year............couldn't build enough heat?

·
Registered
347 Posts
krm said:
[snapback]704396[/snapback]​
bingo!!!! thats the story i'm getting. gade has a bigger cooler than the mach but the same ecu program, and the motor won't build enough heat to come out of rich mode.. which makes sense, the only time mine has ran right is on hard crusty snow that provides little cooling....

·
Registered
839 Posts
hello doo........... EVER HEAR OF A T-STAT?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
This was brought up before and according to my water temp gauge it comes out of rich mode at 40F and the idle will come down.Once it goes out of rich mode it won't go back into it until you shut off the moter and the temps are low.When I play in powder or drive in snow the temps do come down,like right in the middle of 0 and 1/4 scale, but the engine temps are at 80F,never seen them lower than that.

·
SkiDoo Guru
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one more problem i know brp is working on is the( cold start program ) that may have done more harm than good?(excessive fuel off start mode)i"ll keep you posted as i"ll test mine tomorrow.the ecu should go off rich mode approx. 40/50 degrees water temp ,but does it?the main thing seems to be the erave cables need to be more on the loose side or you"ll never have that correct starting point to solve any other problems.whish me luck!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
who the F is writing BRP's code for their ECU's..... are they testing anything?? Sounds like we're riding prototypes and they using our sleds for testing. THIS IS BS!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.