Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lost my 4th plug. I start and 5 secs later PTO plug down. I tried to recover the plug by reving up which saved a couple before but this one was gone.
Open up the side panel and entire front of the engine is coated in black oil.
I wonder if the plug when goes down, all the unburnt fuel is washing down and out of the Y pipe. Maybe thats how suddenly rich the motor becomes momentary and kills the plug.

They got to reslove this. The motor is way to rich on start up,reflash a leaner map and be done with it. It wearing thin.

Sure it is fast and fun to ride, but really do I need to carry a box of spark plugs with me. This is a easy reflash for cold start. FIX IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
MACHZER said:
Just lost my 4th plug. I start and 5 secs later PTO plug down. I tried to recover the plug by reving up which saved a couple before but this one was gone.
Open up the side panel and entire front of the engine is coated in black oil.
I wonder if the plug when goes down, all the unburnt fuel is washing down and out of the Y pipe. Maybe thats how suddenly rich the motor becomes momentary and kills the plug.

They got to reslove this. The motor is way to rich on start up,reflash a leaner map and be done with it. It wearing thin.

Sure it is fast and fun to ride, but really do I need to carry a box of spark plugs with me. This is a easy reflash for cold start. FIX IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!
[snapback]279525[/snapback]​
if your fouling only the pto plug have your dealer remove the injectors and make sure it has a blue (low speed) injector on the outer part of the cylinder (lh). we found on one that fouled only the pto side had two high speed injectors in it on the pto cylinder.

·
Premium Member
2022 Mach-Z
890 Posts
I wish I was as lucky. Rode 30 miles and ok. Eat breakfast started and it fouled pto side. Replaced and ran for 170 miles starting and stopping all day, ate lunch and all was good. Brought sled home and went to take off trailer and lost pto side once again. This is realy getting old, and yes these are the br8ecs.

·
Registered
803 Posts
bossboy said:
I wish I was as lucky. Rode 30 miles and ok. Eat breakfast started and it fouled pto side. Replaced and ran for 170 miles starting and stopping all day, ate lunch and all was good. Brought sled home and went to take off trailer and lost pto side once again. This is realy getting old, and yes these are the br8ecs.
[snapback]279931[/snapback]​
Maybe try br8es?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got about 150 mi on my Mach Z now and I'm starting to foul plugs. Just on cold starts and it looks like both are fouling. Leaving on a trip in the next couple of days so I don't have any time to get it back to the dealer.

Best guess I'm seeing on a fix would be to run BR8ES (or BR8ECS) plugs and hope for the best. Any other suggestions??

Real embarrasing changing plugs to get it off the trailer in front of all my Arctic Cat friends.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i bet they are all all laughin at you changing plugs

but

just look at it this way
when it comes off the trailer you have a new set of plugs already installed

just cause somethng fouls plugs doesnt mean crap about sled reliabilty

once your riding you will be the one whose laughing at them

the 1000 mach is awesome once they are installed

i was riding with my bro las night he has one
2 feet of snow 4 hours of fun and no fouled plugs and i watched him start and shut it off at least 20 times and the temp was about 10 degrees or less outside

only trouble with his sled was bending the rear bar into rear tailight cause he had it straight up in the air and landed on tail
nice rugged bar it held up well
protected lens not a crack in it

he has had to change some plugs-he said yesterday"i would change plugs everytime i ride it it is worth it"

i hope everyones sled runs well and you have plenty of snow

we are skipping work to ride em today
woohoooo

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it did it again on Sunday morning. The 3rd set in 2 days. The cost of plugs is more than the fuel I used.

I cannot understand why this is taking so long so fix.

The sled is a great ride and is fast but really at $10 a plug this is (*&%($>

Enough of the bullsh&% get this thing fixed!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
MACHZER said:
Well it did it again on Sunday morning. The 3rd set in 2 days. The cost of plugs is more than the fuel I used.

I cannot understand why this is taking so long so fix.

The sled is a great ride and is fast but really at $10 a plug this is (*&%($>

Enough of the bullsh&% get this thing fixed!!

[snapback]280675[/snapback]​
Rode a few hundred miles over weekend and went thru ONLY 2 sets of plugs dealer gave me br9exi?? They didn't foul after that, but those plugs are 10 to 14 $$$ each.............OUCH

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Dealers should be covering all fouled plugs you bring back in. Mine is. It shouldn't be costing you anything but time. Also, I have had success by starting the sled and just riding it slow and careful immediately after a cold start. Don't let it idle following a cold start. Just get on and ride slowly for about 5 - 10 minutes until it's warmed up. Won't foul a plug all day doing that. Also, seems to foul plugs if you start the sled cold and run it only for a short time and then shut it off such as taking off a trailer. It doesn't foul on first start but almost always fouls on the second start. Probably too much fuel in there from previous short run and no warmup followed by a subsequent second cold start.

·
Registered
270 Posts
MachZ990 said:
Dealers should be covering all fouled plugs you bring back in. Mine is. It shouldn't be costing you anything but time. Also, I have had success by starting the sled and just riding it slow and careful immediately after a cold start. Don't let it idle following a cold start. Just get on and ride slowly for about 5 - 10 minutes until it's warmed up. Won't foul a plug all day doing that. Also, seems to foul plugs if you start the sled cold and run it only for a short time and then shut it off such as taking off a trailer. It doesn't foul on first start but almost always fouls on the second start. Probably too much fuel in there from previous short run and no warmup followed by a subsequent second cold start.
[snapback]280764[/snapback]​
Yea they have replaced them all...Hey machZ990 what are you runnin your clickers at,I just can't get the right feel.....Thankx

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BlueMax said:
Hey guys, there is a bulletin out that addresses the plug fouling issue. Check with your dealer.
[snapback]280795[/snapback]​
I did. He claims nothing has come in writing. Until then his hands are tied. He is a great dealer but I to think it is a waste of time trying things as this is clear programing problem that can be easliy fixed with a reflash.
Look at the other posts on the site, it seems everyone has tried various things with no clear resolve.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Going way out on a limb here, but if I had a Mach I would put the Summit high altitude program in it, only experence I have is on my Summit which runs like a banshie at 1,000' and no plug fouling at 185 miles. This is only a suggestion and have no idea if it can be done, use very good gas, maybe a little race gas mixed in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone tried regapping your plugs to about .020"?

I know you guys are talking about a 05' 1000 but with my 99' Z I was going through plugs like crazy. Re gapped to .020" now i very rarely foul out...

I might be worth a try.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'd like to second what Banzai stated. I'm running the RT Summit above 6,000" and I have the high altitude clutch kit. I've run 300+ miles and am still on the original set of plugs (BR8ECS). I only run the semi-synthetic oil as well.

Sorry to hear about your Mach problems. Rumor has it that the dealers just got a newsletter dated January 19th that talks about solutions to the fuel mapping on RT Summits and some other problems on the Machs. The letter supposedly states the solution is about two weeks away. Maybe this is the announcement everyone is waiting for.

·
Registered
103 Posts
HighMarker said:
I'd like to second what Banzai stated. I'm dunning the RT Summit above 6,000" and I have the high altitude clutch kit. I've run 300+ miles and am still on the original set of plugs (BR8ECS). I only run the semi-synthetic oil as well.

Sorry to hear about your Mach problems. Rumor has it that the dealers just got a newsletter dated January 19th that talks about solutions to the fuel mapping on RT Summits and some other problems on the Machs. The letter supposedly states the solution is about two weeks away. Maybe this is the announcement everyone is waiting for.
[snapback]281218[/snapback]​
2 MORE WEEKS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!! HOW LONG IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO GET IT RIGHT!! BY THE TIME THEY THINK THEY HAVE IT RIGHT, WE WILL BE LOOKING AT THE NEW PAMPLETS WITH THE 06 MACH Z IN IT. I CAN NOT BELIEVE IT TAKES THIS LONG TO FIX THE FOULING PROBLEM. FOR THE MONEY WE PAID FOR THESE SLEDS. I HAVE NOT EVEN MENTIONED THE CLUTCH NOT ENGAGING AT SKI-DOO SPECIFIED ENGAGEMENT OF 3400. IT NOT HAVING ENOUGH WEIGHT IN THE CLUTCH. OH DID I FORGET TO MENTION THE EXCESSIVE HYFAX WEAR IN FRONT OF THE IDLERS ON A SLED THAT HAS BEEN IN GOOD SNOW CONDITIONS THE WHOLE TIME. 1000 MILES. OH DID I MENTION THE FRONT SHOCKS THAT LET YOU BOTTOM YOUR SLED OUT ON MOGULS. YES THE SLED IS VERY FAST, BUT SOMETIMES SPEED IS NOT THE ONLY THING YOU LOOK AT IN A SLED. SORRY, JUST MY 2 CENTS.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My dealer called me back today and he talked to Bombi and wants my sled in. I buy a new sled every year and we also have a race team for sno X with a rev.

All that is needed here is a slight remapping of the ECU . It is done in the automotive field all the time. The sled gets great mileage and is not burning rich once warmed up although I do not like to see the temp gauge so low. It occurs in the first 1-3 mins of run after start up ( PLUG FOUL).

With all the guys posting this problem and potenial customers reading and following you would think they would want to reslove this right at the start.
How come you sled is okay with the BR9 but mine needs BR8? Its compemsating for incorrect programimg plain and simple.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.