Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was definitely interesting / a learning experience. My question is did I put it back together right. I know the spring is in the right hole in the helix as I marked it with a sharpie. It's the hole in the fixed sheave I'm not sure of. Can somebody tell me which # hole is the stock hole in this diagram???

Attachments

·
boost junkie
10,603 Posts
your supposed to mark both holes

now you need a fish scale and check tension

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same sled as you and mine was in #1.
Thank You !!!

I found the secondary spring update bulletin for the 2014s and it said to use #2. But then I noticed the new hole it has you drill in the helix is in about the opposite spot as mine was in. I almost ripped it all apart again. All my sharpie marks were lined up though and I knew the helix hole was the right one. I was just surprised how much I had to wind the spring. And while I don't have a fish scale it sure seems quite a bit stiffer by hand and I went with the B/Y/S Dalton wich is supposed to be oh so close to stock, course the stock spring did have over 1K miles on it. I just didn't remember the helix jumping "that" much when I backed off the QRS tool. I didn't know you needed to also hold it by hand.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speaking of the QRS tool they all say you don't need that much tension to hold everything in place. Well I was just about to put the helix bolts back in when bang, the whole thing flew apart! The tool, the helix, the spring, everything went flying... LOL Needless to say I cranked it pretty good for attempt #2.

·
Super Moderator
29,364 Posts
Let us know how it runs when you're done.

Did you ever get the handling dialed in?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Which letter was the Helix in stock? Just curious as I have the same sled and the dealer put my Cudney kit in so I don't know which holes were in use stock.

thanks,

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It should run like a brand new stocker as the springs I'm using are close to stock spec, maybe a hair stiffer. It's just these ones are quality springs and shouldn't sack out. I do have the W/Y primary I might try at some point for a little more rpm up top.

Right now I have my steering effort at a tolerable level. It's not exactly light per say but it doesn't steer like a Mac truck like it did last year. I got some Doolies to try next which should make it steer even lighter but also push more, I'm still experimenting. Too bad we're having a 2nd cruddy winter in a row. It's hard to dial anything in when you can barely ride the thing.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Which letter was the Helix in stock? Just curious as I have the same sled and the dealer put my Cudney kit in so I don't know which holes were in use stock.

thanks,
I'll pull the belt adjuster back off and let you know when I put the primary back on.

I think it's D, I'll update when I know for sure.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It should run like a brand new stocker as the springs I'm using are close to stock spec, maybe a hair stiffer. It's just these ones are quality springs and shouldn't sack out. I do have the W/Y primary I might try at some point for a little more rpm up top.

Right now I have my steering effort at a tolerable level. It's not exactly light per say but it doesn't steer like a Mac truck like it did last year. I got some Doolies to try next which should make it steer even lighter but also push more, I'm still experimenting. Too bad we're having a 2nd cruddy winter in a row. It's hard to dial anything in when you can barely ride the thing.
Regarding steering effort, I hadn't been on my sled much due to lack of snow so I was messing around with the suspension and realized that I had cranked my front track shock to the softest setting.(duh) Last weekend I got to try it with the shock cranked all the way up and new 5" stock carbides instead of the 7.5" Shapers (per Rocker Dan's recommendation to me). All I can say is WOW! A totally different sled. It felt so light compared to my other setup. I spent all of last year with super heavy steering, thanks to not paying attention when I made my adjustment. The sled still turns fine with just a little bit of push in soft snow, but that's ok with me. The darting is there, but not nearly as bad. I hope to eliminate that if possible. I may use Snowtrackers next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts