Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I basically couldn't turn without flipping over...was hanging off the inside and jerking the sled over...still couldn't git-r-done.

Do I need handle bar risers or just more practice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
WhiteHawk said:
I basically couldn't turn without flipping over...was hanging off the inside and jerking the sled over...still couldn't git-r-done.

Do I need handle bar risers or just more practice?
[snapback]728005[/snapback]​
Depends. Of course higher bars makes it much much ... much easier. The other thing is the snow, you need deep soft snow to pratice with. If you haven't done much " carving " , trying to learn with only say two feet of snow is hard and it just isn't all that fun. It's nice to have three feet or so, then you can easily lean it over. Plus if your a light weight, this makes it harder also. A heavier rider can more easily manipulate the sled. You were turning the skiis in the opposite direction that you were wanting to go right ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,189 Posts
powder riding is a "feeling" more than anything. we can tell you how to do it but, you need to teach yourself. it looks really easy and is very very difficult. i am not being a diffcult, i am being serious.

sometimes the snow wants only full throttle to help you out of the situation other time it wants you to lett off (alittle) let the sled creep back up to the snowtop and start applying the throttle again.

the deeper the snow the better. the sled will nose over easier the more snow there is. you dont need to be going very fast to turn or carve but you do need to be moving to complete the manuvers.

as stated above you'll need to fight the urge to turn the skis in the "correct" angle for the turns. you use countersteering like on a motorcycle only alot more motion. basicly you turn the wrong way to go the right way when the sled is on one ski. in slow speed turns you will have to revert back to the tried and true method of the correct steering for correct turn. it is very goofy.

remember a few things, throttle is your friend. 90% of the time it will get you out of trouble, the other 10% of the time, it will only speed up the inevitable. when riding offtrail, BUMPS ARE STUMPS! ski
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, well that is problem one, I was not turning the skis the "right" way. I don't know when the next time I will be able to practice, but I think I can figure it out from here knowing that I have to turn the opposite way.
 

·
ITs WINTER!
Joined
·
7,497 Posts
It does take a while to get the feel of the machine, for how much weight transfer/throttle/steering for the types of snow conditions you are in.

It took me a week or so of playing around on the REV to be able to toss it around like i could do on my old yami. But now i have it to the point that i can lay the thing on its side and do donuts in the powder and carve on hardpack


Anyways, just keep playing around with it and before you know it youll be tossing it around like a mini z!

 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top