Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm officially jumping ship and I am going to buy a Ski-doo after driving Arctic Cat my whole life. First off i'm about 5'8 150 pounds and prolly do 50/50 trail to offtrail riding. Mostly due to us having drive a ways to get to the hills. I've ridden the M chassis and found it a bit hard to steer and kinda big and bulky so am thinking the switch to the XP might be great.

I have a few questions and would like a few opinions if you guys wouldn't mind. I have a chance at getting a 2010 everest with the 146 track and 800r engine.
1. How do these perform against the longer tracked machines like the 154'.
2. Would i be better trying to get my hands on the 800 etec engine in the 2011 and going with longer track although its quite the extra cost.
3. I know wheelieing your machine is kinda useless but i love it. How does the everest 146 lift?
4. Overall performance in the hills in the maritimes ie. Newfoundland?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey guys, i'm officially jumping ship and I am going to buy a Ski-doo after driving Arctic Cat my whole life. First off i'm about 5'8 150 pounds and prolly do 50/50 trail to offtrail riding. Mostly due to us having drive a ways to get to the hills. I've ridden the M chassis and found it a bit hard to steer and kinda big and bulky so am thinking the switch to the XP might be great.

I have a few questions and would like a few opinions if you guys wouldn't mind. I have a chance at getting a 2010 everest with the 146 track and 800r engine.
1. How do these perform against the longer tracked machines like the 154'.
2. Would i be better trying to get my hands on the 800 etec engine in the 2011 and going with longer track although its quite the extra cost.
3. I know wheelieing your machine is kinda useless but i love it. How does the everest 146 lift?
4. Overall performance in the hills in the maritimes ie. Newfoundland?

Thanks guys.
I have a 2008 800R 146 and its probably the best choice for a all round sled.Great power and its nimble,it will climb great until you get into the real steep and deep then the 154 will out climb,biggest problem is ski lift its hard to keep the front end down on really steep terrian,which sounds like your alright with.If you are doing lots of long feild pulls with this sled ( like hard pulls lasting more then 5 mins) it will destuct a belt ,they seem to need a cool down period to extend belt life,I havent been blowing belt but if you push the machine on deep heavy snow and dont back off it will blow a belt..All in all I love the sled it rocks on it and you will not be disapointed I wasn't.As for the e-tec if you have the money fuel injection rules!!!

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Doing a search on the 154 vs the 146 will get your more info than you will likely get in replies.

Being so, I have a 146, this year its getting a 154 2.5. Not because I feel I need it, but because I think we are going to endless powder this winter! HAHA

Seriously, I am the same weight as you. I went against what other people were riding, I thought a 146 might be "more fun" and possibly easier for throwing around. Really the XP chassis is just better from the get go. Only on the deepest of days last winter did I wonder if I had a longer track, would I have made it higher. Many days I himarked the longer tracked sleds.

Wheelieing as I mentioned to you before, is all in sled set up. My buddies 154 lifts the skis more than my 146. Its suspension set up and clutching. On flat groomed trails, he is 250lbs on a 154 and lifts the skis, I am 150 lbs on a 146 and get more track spin.

When climbing in deep stuff, the 146 will stand up much faster than the 154 if not set up properly and makes for some interesting pulls.

The stock shocks on Everest models do suck. They get the job done, but anyone who does any serious sledding ends up wanting to replace them at a greater cost. Be it with take off X shocks or Fox Air shocks.

For the East Coast, I think a 146 is a great sled. The snow there tends to set up faster. You don't have too many bottomless powder days and even though you do have some pretty good hills over there, its not like the steep and deep out West.

The 2010's are good sleds, better than the 08/09's. You shouldn't be disapointed. Buy it, ride it and then decide if you need to spend any money on it.

Do some searching, read the posts on what to do with new sleds as far as items to change, upgrades and such.

·
Registered
862 Posts
you got a great sled! The 2010 summit can be set up to be a wheelie machine. especially for those of us that get max horsepower closer to sea level.
set the limiter strap all the way loose. front track shock half way to 3/4 firm for your weight. torsion springs an 1 or 2 (thinest side), readjjust track tension as the limiter strap change might require the track adjustment. then just stand at the back of the running boards and pull up as you hit the gas and she will stand right up on the rear bumper. you need to be in good snow for bumper stands so that the track has something to dig into. but even on the trail she will stand up at a 45 angle all day even from 30mph.
the everest shocks are not the greatest, but at your wieght you will be just fine until you feel taht you need more out of the shocks. in other words dont buy new ones until you feel that you need new ones for a reason. That is just my opinion. there are great shocks out there, but until you know what makes them great or what you wish you had in your shocks you dont need to waste the money.
the 2010 summ 146 800r is a phenominal sled that rocks at everything. enjoy it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts