Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright looking to get my first GPS to start doing a little off trail riding. What recommendations do you have for a GPS that works well in cold weather and works well for off trail riding. I was looking at a Garmin 64s. Thoughts??

·
Registered
470 Posts
Buy once, cry once. Spend the money on the Garmin Montana. I scraped by with the smaller version, the Dakota for a few years, but the small screen was a PITA trying to zoom around with enough detail. Got the Montana now with the RAM mount and life is good. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
86 Posts
X2 for the Montana (600T).

I've never had any issues with it in the cold. Includes US TOPO maps. Provides trackback ability, to help you find your way back.

VVmapping also a great mapping product. Forest roads show up as dotted lines.

Use Amps marine mount with Ram Mounts.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Alright looking to get my first GPS to start doing a little off trail riding. What recommendations do you have for a GPS that works well in cold weather and works well for off trail riding. I was looking at a Garmin 64s. Thoughts??
I like my old 60 series. The screen is a little small for me now that my eyes are not what they used to be. Its a real simple unit to use. You don't have to go into sub menus to get to different screens and there are buttons on the front that make it somewhat usable with gloves on. They are popular units. The used prices are going up from what I paid for mine a few years back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you searched for the app? We have one for our trail system in NB (eastern) Canada. Of course you need cell service for location updating however I find it works fine for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was considering a Garmin 64s because of it's compact size relative to the Montana 600. I thought the 64s might be easier to carry in a pocket for hiking/walking when it wasn't attached to my sled or dual purpose motorcycle. I had a chance to handle and compare both units side by side at a Cabela's. A young, knowledgeable salesman spent quite a bit of time (I'm really low tech) showing me the two units. After handling and viewing both, I felt that I could manipulate and find my way around the various functions on the touch screen Montana 600 unit better/faster than I could using the buttons on the 64s. I also found the larger Montana screen was much easier for my aging eyes to see. In the end, I went with the larger, more expensive Montana 600.

Other than 'playing with it' in my truck to familiarize myself with it, I haven't 'put it to work' yet.

I was glad that I had a chance to compare the two units side by side in my hand. For my purposes, I found the Montana was a better 'fit' for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide works for you. I hope you'll update after your purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts