Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Hey Everybody!

So I got my FIRST EVER SLED on the way FINALLY!! It's seriously been about a decade of waiting but this years the year. I bought land in Revelstoke, then thru my build downpayment in the weedstocks and bought 46 acres in Valemount so I'll be riding between the two for years to come but mostly based in Revy as the resort is mind blowing for Skiing which is one of my greatest passions.

I got lots to learn with Sleds, basically never driven one EVER but don't worry about that toooooo much because I'm writing this with hopes of maybe coming across some last minute reasoning for me to cancel an accessory order or perhaps order something in last minute while I can still, or get it for December etc.

I've been trying to talk to lots of people and order some good stuff to keep the sled operational, FUNctional and adaptable.

So far things are looking like this:
2021 Freeride Turbo 165 3"
RPM composite ski plate ( ordered )

MoPros Diamon series Ski and Snowboard rack ( ordered with heated bag and smaller ones )
BRP Removable snowflap

[ Are additional rear longer ice scrapers needed? Small ones upfront come stock? ]
BRP Adjustable limiter strap ( tried looking at some aftermarkets but these seem decent? )

BRP Adventure Front Bumper ( Reviews seem good and I like the look? Is ice collection much of an issue? )
BRP Adventure Rear Bumper ( I personally like the look of the combo adventure bumpers front and back )

BRP Brake reservoir cover ( was suggested to remount this in a diff location eventually? )

BRP Hand Guards Black ( may not install until colder days / may install and remove if I start jumping more? )

BRP Seat Storage Bag

For spare parts this year at a minimum I'm buying plugs and a belt for now?
Got a Linq Jerry can

Is the BRP Tool kit really the best kit? It's pricey but I'd get it if it's worth it?

Munster Rail Brace? ( I was just recommended to get this? )

AND

Grip n Rip Brace Addition? ( Seems like a good idea )
[ Being a highly addicted street style trials pedal bike rider I really like tight, responsive equipment or toys, so at first thought I want to get those last two ordered for responsiveness even tho I may not know any different but I'm seriously sooooo stoked to finally be getting into sledding and I want something that feels amazingly perfect with a high level of sensitivity in control / responsiveness if possible ( or so I assume? )]

I only have a weee Tacoma for now, may have to buy a bigger truck now that I'm starting to buy Toys finally but for now I got a 14' Vnose tandem access rear ramp I'm setting up with Superclamp glides and clamps but with the Caliber traction mat as I feel like it'd be less of a nuisance when not loading/ unloading a sled?

Also bought the 2021 42" wide marlon single loader Tilt Deck which is questionable but I worry about towing the enclosed in packed sled areas with a bunch of snow down and congestion etc so I'm hoping the combo can maybe work or I can sell it for a loss eventually ( planning to build a storage / support deck with some 2x8's to lighten the load on the tailgate etc )

Garmin in reach explorer plus
Interchangeable air bag for Dakine vest pack and heli backpack

Pieps TX / shovel and probe etc

I need a radio but am not sure which model to buy yet to capture all the handy channels ( forestry channels etc? )

Are you still here?
Holy novel. Sorry to those who read this far but all the same thanks for reading?
Any thoughts or recommendations would be very appreciated. My sled arrives on the 18th supposedly and I'm heading to Revy for over 3/4rs of the winter Nov 30 while working 6 long days in between so I'm hoping I'll have time to get the majority of this stuff on and the sled looking sick but I'll survive either way. Writing all this incase I'm making a horrible mistake I might avoid last minute so thanks for any thoughts if anything might come to mind!

SOOOOO EXCITED!! :)

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Hey Hey Everybody!

So I got my FIRST EVER SLED on the way FINALLY!! It's seriously been about a decade of waiting but this years the year. I bought land in Revelstoke, then thru my build downpayment in the weedstocks and bought 46 acres in Valemount so I'll be riding between the two for years to come but mostly based in Revy as the resort is mind blowing for Skiing which is one of my greatest passions.

I got lots to learn with Sleds, basically never driven one EVER but don't worry about that toooooo much because I'm writing this with hopes of maybe coming across some last minute reasoning for me to cancel an accessory order or perhaps order something in last minute while I can still, or get it for December etc.

I've been trying to talk to lots of people and order some good stuff to keep the sled operational, FUNctional and adaptable.

MoPros Diamon series Ski and Snowboard rack ( ordered with heated bag and smaller ones )
BRP Removable snowflap
[ Are additional rear longer ice scrapers needed? Small ones upfront come stock? ]
BRP Adjustable limiter strap ( tried looking at some aftermarkets but these seem decent? )
BRP Adventure Front Bumper ( Reviews seem good and I like the look? Is ice collection much of an issue? )
BRP Adventure Rear Bumper ( I personally like the look of the combo adventure bumpers front and back )
BRP Brake reservoir cover ( was suggested to remount this in a diff location eventually? )
BRP Hand Guards Black ( may not install until colder days / may install and remove if I start jumping more? )
BRP Seat Storage Bag

Got a Linq Jerry can

Is the BRP Tool kit really the best kit? It's pricey but I'd get it if it's worth it?

AND

[ Being a highly addicted street style trials pedal bike rider I really like tight, responsive equipment or toys, so at first thought I want to get those last two ordered for responsiveness even tho I may not know any different but I'm seriously sooooo stoked to finally be getting into sledding and I want something that feels amazingly perfect with a high level of sensitivity in control / responsiveness if possible ( or so I assume? )]

I only have a weee Tacoma for now, may have to buy a bigger truck now that I'm starting to buy Toys finally but for now I got a 14' Vnose tandem access rear ramp I'm setting up with Superclamp glides and clamps but with the Caliber traction mat as I feel like it'd be less of a nuisance when not loading/ unloading a sled?

Also bought the 2021 42" wide marlon single loader Tilt Deck which is questionable but I worry about towing the enclosed in packed sled areas with a bunch of snow down and congestion etc so I'm hoping the combo can maybe work or I can sell it for a loss eventually ( planning to build a storage / support deck with some 2x8's to lighten the load on the tailgate etc )

I need a radio but am not sure which model to buy yet to capture all the handy channels ( forestry channels etc? )

Are you still here?
Holy novel. Sorry to those who read this far but all the same thanks for reading?
Any thoughts or recommendations would be very appreciated. My sled arrives on the 18th supposedly and I'm heading to Revy for over 3/4rs of the winter Nov 30 while working 6 long days in between so I'm hoping I'll have time to get the majority of this stuff on and the sled looking sick but I'll survive either way. Writing all this incase I'm making a horrible mistake I might avoid last minute so thanks for any thoughts if anything might come to mind!

Hey Dude, your list looks pretty good, congrats on the new sled!!! You should be excited, they are sick sleds and Im waiting for my turbo to arrive.

I personally think the tool kit is worth it, I pieced my tool kit together and it cost way more than that.

I highly recommend enzo tuned shocks, you mentioned you like tight and responsive toys, that and clutching possibly in the future may interest you.

As far as a radio, we run specfic beofeng radios, with all the BC FSR channels programmed in them.
Norona on here and snow and mud sells the exact same one I have.

I ride Valemount quite abit its been a couple of years since I rode Revy. Just because of my work schedule.

Come on over to the Snow and mud forum, that site is more directed to Western Canadian riding areas and updates.
That site has meet and greets every year, so we know each other on there quite well. This years meet and greet or Mountain Maina as its called, was supposed to be in Valemount this year. Due to Covid, this year's event is not going to happen. It sucks, I always had a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,180 Posts
Welcome to dooTalk!

Enjoy the new sled & have a great season

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Hey Everybody!

BRP Removable snowflap
BRP Seat Storage Bag

Got a Linq Jerry can

AND

Are you still here?

Congrats on the new Freeride! Your list looks good. Each to there own. Some things I think you might want to reconsider.

I don't think the new sled needs Bracing. The 2017 had the weak bulkhead. Not sure. IMO your just adding weight with a lot of these things.
Bumpers- I use to buy them. I don't know - most of them just collect snow and if you do have a impact, some of these bumpers add stress to other areas and create more damage.

Resi cover- good idea! I use the ZRP one $60 us and you can get different colors
Flexible hand guards - awesome.
Seat bag. Ditch that. Your foot will just hit it when you move from one side of sled to other. Your covered with the MoPros bags.
Maybe a handle bar bag since or smaller reach to often items.
Munster brace is sweet, but freeride comes with rail bracing.
You will hardly ever use that snowflap. Maybe on spring day when ice in am down low.

Rpm skid plate is amazing! Been using this for years. Definitely saved a few insurance claims. I went with the economy version this year and combine it with skidoo extreme skid plate, this will be a lighter combo, rpm full skid plate is amazing, but it is heavy. Like 14lbs.

The deep snow pro bag is maybe an item worth looking at for days your not taking skis with. But if the MoPros rack stays on full time, you might not have room...don't know.

So many choices. Have fun! These things rip, all your really need is Radio, Avy gear, gas, oil and riding partners.

·
Registered
609 Posts
A 850 Turbo for first ever sled, that is a bold choice :eek:

Hope you wont be more scared than entertained :p

If it had been me I think I had gone for a Summit 600R instead. You have at least a few years of learning on one of those before you outride that ride, and for half the money too. (and you would probably have more fun to since you won't spend half the time being afraid)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel like the first sentence should be more like:

"A 850 Turbo for first ever sled, that is a GREAT choice"... but in BOLD? :D

I will be safe, cautious and respectful but I don't think feelings like scared and afraid are going to be entering my brain too often to be honest?

If you knew me personally as a friend you'd probably understand and be more than fine with me making this sled choice but I ski DOO appreciate the intent of thoughts all the same^

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
THANKS for the congrats and welcoming guys!

I've been sleeping just a touch more the last week or so hoping for sled arrival day to arrive just a little quicker haha.

I got some great info from you guys which is greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time

Caper11-

I got signed up on Mud and snow, I totally see what you mean for more specific forum for my locations: that's perfect and thanks A LOT
..I'd also love to be able to host some sled get togethers amongst other things in years to come, shoulda had a big ol barn built in Revy by now set up to house a bunch of friends and friends with space to fix sleds and toys but I couldn't say no to the Valemount opportunity so now maybe that'll happen on the 56 acres before this decades out if I'm lucky! :ph34r: <-- Covid mask? lol...

I also feel like I should order the BRP tool kit but just on principle I wondered if there might be something else out there, it's definitely easier plus my dealers giving me 20% off so that helps^

Summit74-
That's a bunch of great information and some things I've been questioning as well but also somewhat running short on time which is exactly why I'm here now trying to make sense out of all these options and things to learn so I'm ready to ride the first of December!

I think I can probably hold off on bracing for sure, especially as I won't be airing TOO big right away haha plus at least then with riding as is first I can get a personal feel for the differences if I did happen to change or think of future needs etc.
Mannnn bumpers, I'd rather not but for my first year riding well.. I'm not perfect and it is my first time so I'd rather be slightly more protected this year at least to start, even if it does come at a sacrifice for performance I realistically won't know the difference aside from picking extra snow off but that'll just be "normal" for me until some new buddies are laughing at me for doing it too much perhaps lmao?

Either way, a few of those/these upgrades might be due for next season along with a wrap it seems I think. Seems like I should have the essentials covered which is what I'm really trying for.

The seat bag makes me wonder, as does the handle bar bags. I was leaning towards the handle bar bags at first but it seemed like these bags didn't take up much extra room? They just got some of this stuff at the dealership tho so I'm gonna go check it all out to try and get a feel for things next week

THANKS GUYS for some quick responses: December comes soon :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
No problem!! Your going to love it. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Black 165 expert turbo.

That ski-foo cast bumper is a little cleaner than the Adventure bumper, check it out to.

Did your order the full RPM skid plate or the economy package? I think the full will work with either bumper, but not a 100% sure.

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
:righton :ridedoo: :ride: Welcome

Reactions: JJ_Trainor

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Welcome to dooTalk! Heck of a sled for your first one. Have fun typious maximous!

pray for snow!

Reactions: JJ_Trainor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Black 165 Expert TURBO

NICE.

I went to buy that one actually when I showed up to the dealership with a couple hours left of the last day to snowcheck and he convinced me to buy the freeride yet at the same price and with 20% off accessories so I went for it. It sounds like it could have made more sense to buy that and mod more down the road but at the time I was 50/50 on whether or not I'd be able to actually buy a sled this time so aftermarket anything wasn't in the cards financially making the freeride also kinda more appealing in terms of maybe taking more abuse short term

I keep getting told all these parts work together so hopefully that stands true. I also do like the look of the CAST as well but also am stuck on liking the adventure bumper by choice which is actually a pain cuz I got to drive to get it and not get my 20% discount but I haven't found anything else that's pulling me the right way. I know I'm not making all the right choices lol

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Congratulations on the new sled, and getting into sledding.

Please don't drink more of that "Red Bull" or what ever you have been till at least after you have good snow!!!! (Kidding you)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The snow is coming Gents!
Believe it, the second year of these 7-8 year cycles is supposed to come with a bang: it's gonna be another deep one for sure

Another risky year as well though with the extra snowfall that'll be accumulating

Also lol, I've been drinking Harmonic Arts 5 mushroom Elixir mixed with coffee, coconut oil and a bit of honey and definitely been buzzing with excitement and anticipation LMAO
( but also highly recommended if you're looking for a good something extra and healthy? )

Winters are my favorite, plus my new skis just arrived that I've been waiting on for a few years now just in time for the first sled season

Armada White Walkers, custom designed by Sammy Carlson whos been riding back country in revy about 6 years now and has a similar surfy/poppy charging playful style

YA, I'm a little excited. Timing is incredible this year, she's gonna be good

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
HA!! I knew it was "something"!!! Good to see folks with "pep in the type"! (That just does not read right. . . .)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Break out some of that cash big spender, take an avalanche class or three... https://avyschool.com<a> </a>

Welcome to DOOtalk!

·
Registered
66 Posts
One thing I would suggest, if you plan on using it for both sledding and skiing check out the CFR Linq it up rack. I used to have a rack permanently bolted to my sled but I found that when I was only sledding the ski and board brackets would get caught on trees and branches in technical terrain. I would break buckles or straps on the rack and sometimes branches getting hung up in there caused me to get stuck. Now with the linq rack I just pop off the ski rack, and throw a pelican case and gas can on for sledding. Much more compact and doesn't get hung up in the trees. If you only plan on using if for skiing only, a rack that bolts to the tunnel only will be great. By the way, those white walkers look sick!

·
RS
3,087 Posts

BRP Removable snowflap

Stock scratchers are good... if you are riding vale you may not need a flap.. i've never used one in vale.

this is a hit or miss, it can work ok, but its easy to break with tunnel ice build up

These pack snow, i wouldn't use it in BC

Same tihng, get a Backwoods bumper or HD brp bumper.

The munster one is the best!!!!!

Only the expert ones if you want some.

BRP Seat Storage Bag

this is awesome, the new hard over is sweet.

Got a Linq Jerry can

BRP tool kit is awesome, but expensive, i got a klim soft tool bag and made my own.

If you jump i'd get it, as well as rear drop bracket brace from specialty sleds.

I have all the grip n rip braces on mine, the ZRP brace is good too but gets pricey with exchange.
AND

I have a Garmin Montana and have the mount screwed to my dash, works very good and is a favorite. then get backroads maps.

For sure get good Avy gear and know how to use it.

I like BCA 2.0, but a lot of baofeng lovers around, get one on amazon and program yourself to save a pile.

Are you still here?

I added notes in your novel.

only other thing i love with my freeride is the new Ling waterproof bag, its $310 CAD but its the best bag i've ever seen!

depending on your height you may want to lower your bars, lower bars are much better in narly terrain of Allen Creek and so on.

if you want to climb, (buying a FR i'll assume you ride like me and thats jump and aviod trees i don't need to ride ) the Zmotion helps with climbing and its probably better than the adjustable limit strap. if you do get the adjustable, just be careful with it if you ice up the tunnel. you do have a turbo so you'll want to do a few pulls, its an amazing sled, i was surpised how well the turbo did next to an aftermarket turbo. if i lived in BC i'd have a turbo expert 100%

Something i tried this season is the ZRP lift kit spindles, makes the G4 the same height as the Axys. they are very expensive but i also ride a race sled that has even taller spindles and i do like them better, but the Zmotion is a good upgrade to the turbo, i know a few people in Revy with Turbo 165s and they all have the Zmotion.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I added notes in your novel.

only other thing i love with my freeride is the new Ling waterproof bag, its $310 CAD but its the best bag i've ever seen!

depending on your height you may want to lower your bars, lower bars are much better in narly terrain of Allen Creek and so on.

if you want to climb, (buying a FR i'll assume you ride like me and thats jump and aviod trees i don't need to ride ) the Zmotion helps with climbing and its probably better than the adjustable limit strap. if you do get the adjustable, just be careful with it if you ice up the tunnel. you do have a turbo so you'll want to do a few pulls, its an amazing sled, i was surpised how well the turbo did next to an aftermarket turbo. if i lived in BC i'd have a turbo expert 100%

Something i tried this season is the ZRP lift kit spindles, makes the G4 the same height as the Axys. they are very expensive but i also ride a race sled that has even taller spindles and i do like them better, but the Zmotion is a good upgrade to the turbo, i know a few people in Revy with Turbo 165s and they all have the Zmotion.
If he does the enzo shock revalve there is no need for a zmotion.
Plus Enzo is local for us in Alberta, I got the turbo tuning in the rear shock.

·
RS
3,087 Posts
If he does the enzo shock revalve there is no need for a zmotion.
Plus Enzo is local for us in Alberta, I got the turbo tuning in the rear shock.

I'd like to do the Enzo coil over conversion on mine but its $$$$

If i were riding BC a lot i'd buy an expert instead of a freeride and get the Enzo all around with clickers and coilover in the rear.

Had the nexxtech (Edmonton) on my Summit T3 and it was amazing, but was $3500 with 4 shocks (maybe more i can't remember) its also the simplest torsion delete i've seen

1 - 20 of 23 Posts