Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GAYLORD, MI -- The suspect in a fatal snowmobile accident was arrested Saturday in Gaylord after he attempted to flee the scene of the crash, police said.

Around 2:30 a.m., police were called to the scene of an accident on Trail 7 behind the Tractor Supply Company. Police found a Gaylord man, 38, unresponsive.

The man died at the scene.

Police officers then discovered the suspect in the incident had fled the scene on foot. Officers tracked the suspect by following marks in the snow and found him hiding a short distance away.

The man, 54, of Oakland, was arrested for operating while intoxicated causing death and for leaving the scene of a fatal accident.

A 40-year-old Gaylord man was also involved in the accident and is undergoing surgery for injuries sustained in the crash.

The identity of the deceased man was not released by police.

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
I hope they throw the book at him.Brutal and totally avoidable. :angry_old:

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
Sorry to hear.

Great that they caught him

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Part of the reason we don't ride at night or on weekends is because of things like this.. I was told by more than one person in the Gaylord area to avoid riding on weekends, especially holiday weekends. Very sad for the family of the deceased.

Reactions: MinnDave

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,386 Posts
Always so very sad to hear about, especially when it's due to senseless drinking and riding.

My deepest condolences to his family.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
We were east of you and the trails were very busy! I don't think I have seen them as busy before. Many large groups. In the end the worst riders were some of the slow riders that would not share the trail. Still a lot of corner cutters. Trails need snow but good for what was available.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I have no pity for the guy arrested apparently he was more concerned for his own hiney and didn't bother to check on those injured. Show's he was very aware of the situation

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
That's part of Tbone. Its long been northern Michigan culture. Not just sledding but hunting fishing etc. Not bashing any of my yooper pals eh

·
Registered
708 Posts
My wife and I were in Gaylord over the weekend. I'm sure a lot of you remember exactly a year ago Saturday night 01/16/2015 at the same time of night our neighbor died on the railroad grade. His first time on a snowmobile. I know what happened and it breaks my heart to see this happen again. It's not just your life your putting at risk when you decide closing the bar and getting on a sled or in a car or on a bike, it's everyone else that' crosses your path. You leave behind wives and children mothers and fathers wondering why this happened. I love this sport. It's my escape from the day to day grind. It's the freedom I feel when I'm out there in the woods. My point is that I have that feeling without drugs or alcohol. I'm no saint. I drink when I'm done. Sorry I just got a little emotional. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Recently I was contacted by a small group of riders in their mid-50's on DooTalk as to my interest in riding with them as we lived near each other and shared some of the same area's of riding. There was a comment in his introduction about stopping at the bars. I then asked for clarification as the their groups' policy on drinking and riding. He advised me that some of the group drink more than the others. While I appreciated their offer to join his group, I advised them that I do not drink and ride, nor does anyone I ride with drink and ride....that is our policy. You can have a few in the evening after the sleds are put away....nor do we allow anyone to ride who is under the influence....and yes, I still have the PM from him in my DooTalk email.

Some people do not know when to stop drinking when on a ride.... and many think they are better riders after a few............yaa sure....

12 years ago a women in her late 30's early 40's riding by herself and under the influence hit me in a corner.....all I saw were ski's dangling in the air under full throttle as she rounded the turn on my side of the trail. I was lucky....she only totaled my sled, ruined my day, ruined my trip to the Big Horn Mountains that I was leaving for that week AND put me in the hospital for 4 days 160 miles from home....and this happened at 10 in the morning.

I hope the person in this incident gets jail time...........but probably will get an attorney and get off............that is what happened to me. She got an attorney and they played the delay game....and the court ignored the local Sheriff's Department citation that was issued.....I learned later that her attorney used to work for the county (as an attorney) and was a buddy of the presiding judge in my case. I also cost me over $10,000 in medical bills as I had a $10k deductible on my self employed health insurance, plus lost income for over 2 months......

Yea, I hope this dirt bag and all like him/her gets jail time..........he just killed someone who has a family and friends........ :angry_old:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Chances are that the guy tried to hide because he has prior's. His life is wrecked. He will lose it all.

I have got to say that I may never ride in the UP and northern Wisconsin. Staying alive is more important that a ride on snowmobile in these well known areas.

Not that it cannot happen where I live (SE MN) but it surely is happening ALOT more in the UP and Wisconsin where drinking too much seems to be socially acceptable. I know first hand of a snowmobile accident in Wisconsin that caused a woman (mother of 2) to become a quadriplegic vegetable. She's dead now.

Last season, on our lake, a rider lost his leg from a crash into an ice shack at night ... drunk? You betcha.

More and more I will only ride before dark.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Sorry to hear of your encounter with the drunk gal. Glad to hear you survived.. Don't let the few morons who make the news keep you from a trip to the UP. Do a midweek trip and enjoy the great trails and scenery. My group only does boondocking on Friday and Saturday. We hit the trails Sundays thru Thursday. Way wsy less idiots and quite often we have the trail to ourselves

1 - 20 of 61 Posts