Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking under the hood of my 05 Rev 550 fan for a rattle and while I was doing so, I moved my spare belt in the holder, and discovered it had worn a hole right through it!! On the mag side (pull cord side) where the plastic air intake comes from the side of the sled, at the front edge of the plastic ducting is a bolt that holds the 2 halves of the plastic together. Since it is connected to the engine, and it is constantly moving, and the belt is clipped to the frame brace, and doesn't move, the bolt ends up rubbing a hole through the belt!!
I told my dealer and they warranteed the belt no problem, I showed them where it rubs and one of the techies came out and said there was a bulletin from BRP on the 19th regarding the matter. Apparently I wasn't the first to have this happen I guess.
Just giving the fan guys a heads up. You don't want to blow a belt only to find your spare is useless.

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Can you show us a picture of where the belt was meeting the bolt?

Thanks for the note, I'll tell Couchboy.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yellowknife said:
Can you show us a picture of where the belt was meeting the bolt?

Thanks for the note, I'll tell Couchboy.
[snapback]286912[/snapback]​
Sorry Yellowknife. I don't have a digital camera, or scanner for that matter. You'll find it easy though. Just lift the front hood like you're going to get the spare belt. Right by where the hinge is for the side panel,(pullcord side) the plastic ducting intake for the fan is there, and the bolt is readily visible. Clip the belt in and you'll see it rests against that bolt as the engine runs.

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Thanks Carolla! You rock!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
That's an interesting one. I actually took my belt clip off, and riveted a clutch cover bag thing in there, I thought a belt would fit around it in there but wouldn't. I left the bag there anyway, moved my toolkit up there along with a few other goodies, used my tool kit holder for an oil caddy, and stuffed my belt in between the air box and the gas tank. I better give everything the once over before I head out again. Thanks for the heads up.
Side note: Ahh, never mind, I'll maybe start another thread....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info, Carolla. I just put a new spare in the other day and I thought it went in tight. I also noticed the two ends of the belt were pushing on the plastic ducts, but I failled to notice the bolts. I will definately take a another look tomorrow. Thanks for saving my new spare.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone finds theirs doing the same, please post and let us know. I haven't looked yet but maybe I can put it in the holder more to the clutch side and see if it can rub anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Checked my expedition sport 550f this morning. Sled has 400 miles and my nice new spare belt has 1/2 X 3/4 inch of material removed from the back of the belt!
Damage is almost down to the cords.
It has been rubbing on the plastic intake duct for the engine cooling intake,no bolt contact just plastic.
It has also worn off a section of the plastic duct.
Called my dealer, they did not know of the problem and said they will call back about replacing the belt.

Thanks for the warning!
Corvette

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update dealer called back they will replace the belt.

Corvette

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
ns503 said:
It's an epedemic!

[snapback]288279[/snapback]​
Isn't this where we're supposed to start the whining?
!$#@** BRP!! I've had ten billion Poo's/Cats/ Yammy's
they never did this! blah, blah blah. BRP better look after me or it'll be the last doo I ever buy! lol

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones...checked my belt... no problems yet...but I do have low mileage still (100 miles) on my 05 Expedition 550f ...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I know a couple of other people around here with Expeditions, saw both of them on the trail yesterday, actually, I'll have to tell them about this....

·
Registered
544 Posts
As a further, much more important warning to fan cooled owners... change that FAN BELT at the beginning of every season to ensure no burned down engines. The pulley rusts, eats the belt, belt slips at high speed, cooling suffers, pistons melt. It's the best $15 you'll ever spend. Be sure to properly clean the rust off too (scotchbrite or emery). This has been an Achilles heal for the F/C Rotax for 25 years.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts