Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure any athletes or avid TV watchers have heard or seen 'powerade ion4' with the claimed '4 minerals lost during sweat potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium. I picked up a bottle at the store today to read the label it has sodium, potassium, and magnesium but no calcium. On the bottle I picked up clearly had 0% of daily recommend intake of calcium and on the US label it says "not a significant source of". Isn't this blatant false advertising? There own website clearly states it contains the 4 minerals lost during sweat and it is inside this drink when clearly the label says otherwise. Being someone physically active I have tried it thinking it will do more then just regular Gatorade.

http://www.us.powerade.com/products/#mountain-berry-blast

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
oh i'm sure theres a loophole in there somewhere.

Sure some of them taste OK, but I personally think all sports drinks are a gimmick. Never got anything out of them that water doesnt.

Your body is designed to be replenished with water, so thats what i drink when i'm working out. plus its FREE!!

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh i'm sure theres a loophole in there somewhere.

Sure some of them taste OK, but I personally think all sports drinks are a gimmick. Never got anything out of them that water doesnt.

Your body is designed to be replenished with water, so thats what i drink when i'm working out. plus its FREE!!
Your probably right with the 'loophole' though it's still highly misleading. It does provide some stuff your body needs and is used up/lost during physical activity that water alone doesn't replenish.

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As we wait for snow....................
I'm still waiting from last year we barely had any, but I've been golfing this year and looking for good sources of hydration on the course and came across this.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Perhaps you could email them with your concern. I think you have a valid question about what they claim.

If you get a response please post it.

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Perhaps you could email them with your concern. I think you have a valid question about what they claim.

If you get a response please post it.
Good idea I thought about it and will do it. I'll let you know how it goes.

UPDATE: email sent will let you know what if any response I get is.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it

·
Tomorrow comes a day too soon...
3,791 Posts
I read an article the other day (I can't seem to find it...) that stated that the best electrolyte replenisher is simply coconut milk. Gatorade has only 3 electrolytes and regular coconut milk has all 8 (or some large impressive number...thing). The article said that you probably won't want to drink coconut milk after a workout because it's so sweet....but as a hangover cure, it's pure gold.

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read an article the other day (I can't seem to find it...) that stated that the best electrolyte replenisher is simply coconut milk. Gatorade has only 3 electrolytes and regular coconut milk has all 8 (or some large impressive number...thing). The article said that you probably won't want to drink coconut milk after a workout because it's so sweet....but as a hangover cure, it's pure gold.
Good to know, I also heard that after a hardcore weights workout guys who had a glass of chocolate milk were able to go back and lift more weight then guys who had other sports drinks.

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got an email

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

You will be interested to know that per 8 fluid ounce, POWERADE ION4 flavors contain the following electrolytes:

Sodium - 100 mg
Potassium - 24.2 mg
Calcium - 2.5 mg
Magnesium - 1.2 mg

The RDI (Recommended Daily Intake) for calcium is 60 mg. Since the product contains such a trivial amount of calcium, we indicate on the label that the beverage is not a significant source for it.

We hope this information is helpful. Pleaee feel free to contact us again should you have any additional questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Johnetta
Industry & Consumer Affairs
The Coca-Cola Company

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Just got an email

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

You will be interested to know that per 8 fluid ounce, POWERADE ION4 flavors contain the following electrolytes:

Sodium - 100 mg
Potassium - 24.2 mg
Calcium - 2.5 mg
Magnesium - 1.2 mg

The RDI (Recommended Daily Intake) for calcium is 60 mg. Since the product contains such a trivial amount of calcium, we indicate on the label that the beverage is not a significant source for it.

We hope this information is helpful. Pleaee feel free to contact us again should you have any additional questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Johnetta
The Coca-Cola Company
how convient 2.5mg

·
Hoping for snow
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how convient 2.5mg
MTNFitz800 was right there is a loophole, they do technically have calcium in the bottle but obviously such a small amount it doesn't really benefit you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
cold chocolate milk is still the best way to go .The sports drink will only help for a little while.when cramping starts the fastest way to cure is a drink of cold milk. I remember reading somewhere that powdered quick is the best because it can be mixed at a heavier concentration if needed.Personally I do not use sports ,unless that is all that is available

·
Hooning 24/7
4,409 Posts
Just got an email

Sodium - 100 mg
Potassium - 24.2 mg
Calcium - 2.5 mg
Magnesium - 1.2 mg

Sincerely,

Johnetta
The Coca-Cola Company
Well that solves that problem

1 - 19 of 19 Posts