Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys think? I have a 2013 renegade 800r etec with 5600mi on it and best warranty through March of 2017. I'm looking at snow checking a 850 or running what I have another year which in a normal year would mean I'll have 75-7800 miles on next spring. What's a 800r with that many miles on gonna be worth? Could a guy just regrease the outer crank bearings at that mileage or would a complete tear down be necessary?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You can't grease the bearings without tearing the engine down. Why worry about it if you have warranty until March 2017?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't grease the bearings without tearing the engine down. Why worry about it if you have warranty until March 2017?
Mainly because if it goes down and brp takes 6 weeks to get me fixed up which could be a possibility I'm gonna end up buying something off the floor and probably not the sled I'm gonna want. I thought you can regrease bearings I've seen pictures of it being done on here.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Mainly because if it goes down and brp takes 6 weeks to get me fixed up which could be a possibility I'm gonna end up buying something off the floor and probably not the sled I'm gonna want. I thought you can regrease bearings I've seen pictures of it being done on here.
A sled with a warranty would definitely be a good selling point. If there is a way to grease crank bearings without tearing the engine down. I would like to know. I have a friend that rebuilds about 100 sled engines every year and it would certainly save him a lot of time

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Not an expert here. Here's my opinion. #1 right now you have 5600 miles on it with 1 year of warranty left. The mileage your at is the beginning of the dependability range. Right now its at its highest resale value. #2 if you keep it another year and hit 7800 miles and warranty is done. A dealer or potential buyer is going to look at it as a hand grenade with the pin pulled. Not a question of if but when it goes boom. Cost of rebuild is going to be $3500+ depending on damage. #3 due to late season deals on new, and the dismal riding season its going to be hard for you to get what you think its worth.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself how bad do you want to spring order a 850? And are you willing to live with the deal you get if you trade in.

No right or wrong answer, as long as your happy with whichever choice you make.

As to your crank bearings I would have already done a repack and new seal on the PTO side but that's just me

·
Registered
611 Posts
You can only repack and replace outside seal. The inners you can't touch. Could do a leak down, add some isoflex and roll the dice.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Sounds like you want the 850 so I would sell or trade now. Used sled sales are going to be rough this fall. Really bad year in many areas followed by some pretty cool new tech is a recipe for disaster in the used market. Never hurts to try and make the best deal you can on a trade in and up on an 850 though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's worth more to me with warranty if I was looking to buy it. Bad year for all of us thinking to trade up!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I would wait till fall to sell it. I've tried selling sleds in the spring and I just got a bunch of guys trying to get a sled for little or nothing.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The most you could hope to get out of an E-TEC would be 10,000 miles... and that assumes it wasn't ridden hard, full synthetic always used, proper warm-up and cool-down every time. Isoflex grease itself is rated for about 10,000 miles. I would feel comfortable trying to push a 600 to 10,000 miles but I typically dumped my 800's before 6000 miles because I think 7500 starts to become the danger zone.

I don't know where you live but...... if you try to sell it today, I think the best you could hope for this time of year is about $6500 - $6800 based on this year's winter, deals on left-over 2015's and 2016's still going on and needing a rebuild after the warranty is up. If you wait until fall, you may get $7000 - $7200 for it.

For reference, I recently saw a 2013 Adrenaline 800 listed for $7100 with 4500 miles and some upgrades. I saw others with mileage in the 1500 - 3000 mile range for about $8000. I also saw a 2013 Renegade $1200 for $7900 with the warranty until 3/17 also and it had 3000 miles and that 4-TEC can run well over 10,000 miles.

When you factor in the full rebuild cost for an 800 after the warranty, I think that knocks you down at least $1000 over the guys with less than 4000 miles on them. And that assumes it gets rebuilt before a major failure and the need for a new short block and those odds go up the longer you ride it without rebuilding it.

If you try to trade it in now on a new 850, I'm betting you would be lucky to get $5000 - $5300 for it this time of year.

·
Registered
666 Posts
seeing them listed and seeing them sold for that price are 2 different things.

I would sell it or trade it in now ,lick your wounds and move forward while there is still a warranty on it.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I'm going to guess that he still has about 2000 miles of riding to do before he wants to get rid of it.

I know, wild guess. But it is based on the fact that he said that in his OP.

Tough to ride if you sell your sled.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Thanks for all the replies I'm done riding for the year sled has been summerized. I guess their is really no best way to go about this. If I was buying used the best warranty would certainly make me feel a lot better about purchase, but yes lots of low mile sleds on the market maybe I'll just keep it as a spare

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
If you wait till fall, there is going to be a lot of sleds on the market and like stated before, if you want to sell it, you are going to take it in the shorts hard!!!!! The next two or three years will be tough to sell a used sled with all the left overs and incentives.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
If I was buying used the best warranty would certainly make me feel a lot better about purchase, but yes lots of low mile sleds on the market maybe I'll just keep it as a spare
That is exactly what I decided to do. When I spring ordered my Enduro 900 last year. I had a 2013 TNT 800 with 5300 miles. The dealer was going to give me about 5500... and that was after a good winter and solid new sled sales. I sold it myself last October and I got $7100. I am glad I sold it before the winter or I would probably still have it.

This spring I already ordered another Enduro 900 for my wife. She has a 2012 MXZ X 600 with about 5900 miles. I did not even bother to ask my dealer about trade-in value after this winter and with all the incentives on left-overs and used sleds already on the market, I have decided to keep it as a spare sled. I figure I would be lucky to get $4500 - $5000 for it at this point so I would rather keep it as a spare.

We typically put about 2500 - 3000 miles on in a good season so I moved to 4-strokes because I got tired of having to move sleds every 2 or 3 years. I usually won't keep a 2-stroke past 5000 - 6000 miles. At least with the 900 I can get well over 10,000 miles and don't have to deal with years like this and trying to sell because of engine mileage.

I'm very happy with the Enduro and I could see keeping them for ~5 years before replacing them since they suit our needs well.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is a "Glut" of used sleds for sale now & will be this fall. I lMAO when I see used sleds at or near the "on-sale" pricing, SD gave to clear out new dealer inventory! It would have to be an inexperienced buyer to purchase a used sled at book price or near book price in todays market, especially with high miles..

wholesale trade in pricing would maybe sell this time of year. And like myself & people who have been in this sport for 40-45 years, this is a slowly dying sport which will not support the 4 mfgs we have now. We used to have 100 or more in the local snowmobile club & today, the club is struggling just to stay open. I bought my last "Brand New" sled years ago, & now stick with used sleds a couple years old. I buy in the late spring for best pricing. The low and No snow is a factor for sure. a large local dealer in snow-blowers is sitting on a huge inventory this spring too, with temps predicting to be in the 50's and 60's next week, riding season if over and people are thinking summer hobbies. good luck with your choices!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts