Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering a few things about this sled here they are

-How does it do in deep powder and how deep have you ridden it in

-Does it get stuck often and is it easy to get out

-What is the top speed

-Are the stock skis good for deep powder

-Does it ride well on trail

-And any issues or successes with yours

My father was thinking of maybe picking one up because his current sled (yamaha venture rs) has not served him great in the powder

I would really appreciate any feedback

·
Registered
325 Posts
Expedition Sport 900 Ace is an awesome back country riding machine. Deep powder, I can handle 3 feet of powder with ease. It gets stuck as often as I challenge the machine and myself, if I wanted to ride without getting stuck at some point I probably could. The articulating track helps to make this sled super for back country riding. Top speed is depending on conditions 120 to 130 kmh. The stock skis are mountain skis as found on the Summit SP, Renegade BC, Tundra and other powder riding sleds. It rides very well on the trail. Being a mostly back country rider, I made some mods to my sled, the two up seat had to go and I replaced it with the Summit seat, probably 20 lbs lighter as a result. I added a full belly pan, a 10 inch riser because I like to carve so standing up a lot. I also ditched the rack and installed a led light as found on the Summits and installed 4 LinQ so I can attach gas can and other accessories. Overall this sled is the best overall sled I have owned or ridden. I ride 3 to 4000 kms each year and this is my second season of trouble free riding. The only thing I would like to change, would be a 1.75 inch track vs the 1.5, but I would only do it if it became a factory option.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not sure about the 900, but my 600 has kept me very happy. Guess there would be a little more weight up in the nose of the 900. But you've almost got to be trying to get the sled stuck...not impossible, but as it's fairly light, not too much of a job moving it around to get back to more solid footing if you do plug it.

On the trail it's fine, but with the long track it ain't built for fast cornering.

My 600 will do over 60 MPH, and imagine the 900 will do a lot better depending on how it's geared. More than fast enough for me.

So far (knocking on wood) ZERO problems with my sled. Not a whole lot of miles compared to some guys here on the forum, but has never let me down.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Some claim the clutching on the 900 isn't so off-trail slow speed friendly.

I was considering an 900 ACE sport, but the 1200 SE wasn't really that much more expensive when I was shopping last year. I got $1200 more in discount with the SE than the Sport, so that made the decision easier for me.

I put a few hundred miles on a Venture GT over the last couple of years, and found the 1200 Expy SE to be better riding and performing. The Venture may have handled a bit better with its wider front end, but its wasn't a significant difference to me. Off trail was an incredible difference. I spent a bunch of time pushing and pulling on the Venture. Not with the Expedition. The factory winch hasn't been tested yet. If I was riding the Venture, it sure would have been.

I'd expect the 900 Sport to be comparable off trail to my Expy SE and maybe a bit better handling on trail. I'd expect the ride to be a bit worse, but still likely better than the Venture.

If your Dad is a fan of the Yamaha triple, Cat really shook things up with their utility sleds this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts