Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Expedition/Skandic WT/SWT Final Drive Ratio Discussions

9K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  LabradorBoy 
#1 ·
Decided I am done hauling heavy loads and sold the SWT. Going to get either a 13 WT or 14 Expy with a etec.

Comfort has me leaning towards the Expy, We ride double for 100 miles round trip and the front end, heated passenger hand grips and back rest would be nice for the kids. The wife has a 13 Expy with the etec and she loves it.

My days of bucking heavy brush are not over but I can manage A arms with the 9.8" liners.

I priced the back rest and heated grips that gets me to essentially the same price. Now Im stuck again, I know I would love either one.

Can I go wrong with either sled?

What are the musts gets for accessories?

#3 ·
If your done with the heavy work go Expo XU .
Had the 2012 600 etec XU limited and would go that way if I was you .
You get all the extras that are very nice.
This is a touring sled more than a work sled IMO due to the way it is set up .
Higher gear ratio than WT and can really get out and move.
Geared to high for deep snow and rough going and will be hard on belts .
They come with a 166 belt and if you can change it for the summit belt as it will handle the heat better.
Had mine to 160 Kms a few times before a changed drivers to gear it down.
The ride is very nice and luv the 600 etec.
Cheers

#4 ·
Hmm, I thought from my research the Expy and the WT was the same gear ratio. I'll have to look again.

Personally I'd go with the Expy LE 1200 - will be a rare occasion for me if I ever buy another two-stroke. Really depends on what you want to do and your budget as far as "must haves". For me, I'm planning on getting the Expy LE 1200 as soon as a dealer get's one in Alaska, but may have to spring order and get it next fall.

As soon as I get it, I'm doing my rear bumper replacement mod, wiring and battery mods, LEDs, and a bumper and skid plate. Will eventually consider a turbo as a possibility as well, someday.. My wife has an Expy Sport 600 ACE, and I'm running a SWT ACE. With the Expy thrown into the mix, we'll have a much better selection based on what we want to do. Trail running and long range riding, take both Expys. Heavy expeditions and trips hauling multiple sleds, take the Expy 1200 and SWT. etc.... For me, I wouldn't spend my money on the SE version nor get the BRP boxes and such. Reports I have heard are that the cargo boxes aren't that great, and one can build there own 3500# winch compared to the little 1500# setup they toss in there.

OK, so I stand corrected. I did think they were the same ratio, maybe BRP changed it for the new year. The SWT and WT both have 3.86L/2.3H:1, and the Expy WTs run 3.23L/1.98H:1. Not a major difference in my book except for the deepest trailbreaking or thickest brush (and my SWT would be in front then).

Reactions: akgiauque
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
^^^^ x2
The 1200 is a very nice machine but a lot heavier on the front end .
Jumped back and forth between the two and you notice the weight on the 1200 but the torque is unreal.
The ratio is quite abit due to the 2.86 pitch drivers and 8 tooth on the XU .
The SWT still has small drivers and 2.52 pitch due to the 156 track.
2010 and up the XU has 2.86 pitch 8 tooth drivers with 154 inch track.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow, I'm learning all sorts of new things today! Didn't think of looking at the drivers. This is where some of their specs start to sound weird, based on 2014 BRP specs..

So BRP lists the 24" as a 156", and the 20" as a 154". It sounds like from above that the 24" is a 2.52 pitch, and the 20" is a 2.86

According to BRP specs and part numbers, the WT ETEC, Expy ETEC, and Expy 1200 all share the same 504-153-104 8 tooth driver. The WT ACE and 550 have a -106 driver, which is said to be a 7 tooth. All seems good so far...

But the SWT ETEC and SWT ACE both show a -203 driveshaft (of course the tunnel is wider). BRP specs list the ETEC as a 9 tooth and the ACE as an 8. Interesting that they would be higher than the WT, taking into account that the pitch is lower but still. And one of those driver numbers has to be off. (Unless BRP changed it for 2014. Driveshaft parts numbers I got from 2013, versus BRP 2014 specs)

BRP also lists "drive sprocket diameter" for ALL as 7.2" (SWT, WT, Expy, Expy Sport, 550, Ace, Etec, and 1200). How can that be right?

Not a math wizard, and this is probably pretty crude, but in low range:

The WT Etec travels 5.9" for every rev of the secondary

The WT Ace and 550 travel 5.2" for every rev of the secondary

The Expy's travel 7" for every rev of the secondary

The SWT would seem to travel either 5.2" or 5.9" for every rev of the secondary, depending on which driver value is correct..

In high the SWT is traveling about 8.7", so the Expy in low would be about halfway between the SWT high and low. Probably manageable, but a significant difference.

Anyone know what the driver pitch is for the 16" x 154" tracks, specifically the Expy Sport? I'm curious where our Expy Sport 600 Ace stands with its apparent 2.4:1 chaincase ratio. Guessing that it might be the same as the 20" x 154', that would make it be 9.4" of movement.. I always thought the Expy Sport and SWT Ace in high were geared about the same..

With that said, I'm still looking for an Expy 1200. I could always toss some Skandic gears in it later..

Reactions: akgiauque
#7 ·
No problem for the expedition to work or play> much more comfortable sled on the trail, more stable> the skandic is good sled but it is a tundra with a widetrack.. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but it does tend to be more prone to tip.. I have the expy with the 1200 and I have used the skandic with ace which is a good sled but really lacks power on the hills. I have used the expy for hauling lots of firewood and gear to my camp and it is a good all around sled.. the 600 etec version is a little lighter but the difference in weight is not that much especially if you compare the 600 expy se and 1200 expy le. The ones I have seen in action are not a whole lot better in the deep stuff. With regard to being built slighter, the only difference I see is the front ends.. I would go with bumper and skid plate if you are buying the le.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
16 x 154 is a 2.86 pitch track.

Yammie for now,

Correct about the weight but the weight if the 1200 is right on the front and you can feel it. The 1200 is a lot better suited for heavier work due to the torque of the engine and also the way the primary grabs the belt. The gearing is fine on it being higher.

The 600 being geared the same will not grab the belt as hard and will create a lot of belt heat if working it hard in deep snow or pulling heavy loads.

I tried everything as far as clutching and the only thing that worked was smaller drivers to gear it down.

Have sold sled and new owner really likes it being geared down also. (smaller drivers)

Again keep in mind that the 1200 is fine but IMO the 600 not so much.

#11 ·
For my purpose the extra weight is not an issue.. I am willing to give up the weight difference for the low end grunt of the 1200. We are experiencing the best snow conditions(non snow lovers say the worst) we have had in a lot of years. In three feet of powder this things just powers right on through..After 20,000 kms seat time on a vk pro you really don't notice the weight. With a 900 ace I think this will be one awesome sled... Don't know much about changing drivers and such, all I know is that this is my 8th widetrack since 1990 and this by far the most versatile sled.. I can haul a load of wood with ease or go for trail ride and keep up with the pack.. This sled is a dual purpose sled, work or play it can do it all.. and if changing the drivers can improve its performance then so much the better.. The only down side I see in these new sleds is the electrical gremlins attached to them.. I come from an era when we could fix just about anything on the trail or at least patch it up to get home, but unless you are a techy today it has to go to the shop.

#16 ·
Avalanche I have heard tat the ACE SWT is more like the 550 and will not spin out on you pulling a load. As for the 800 I an not sure those things have clutch heat issues on much lighter sled with no load.

Thank you gents. I have decided that the LE is the way I am still going, ordered a front bumper, skid plate and will keep the gearing on mind. I can always throw the lower ratio in. Im going to miss the SWT but it is murder on my hips and i need to ride double more. I guess it goes to show you that we are spoiled and even then it is not enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.