Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Expedition with the 900 ACE. The local lakes are a mess. Probably a foot of wet snow over a foot of slush. In the past with a Renegade 800etec I would just give enough throttle to power out of any situation.The Expedition has a much bigger footprint but also carries an extra 200+ pounds and maybe a passenger and an otter sled. I sure don't want to get the beast stuck. What riding techniques work the best in prolonged slushy conditions.Looking forward to hearing your responses....Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
WOT, basically. The 900 with a 20" track should keep you on top. Momentum is your friend, stopping or slowing down is what will get you stuck. I always try to get up to speed and then keep my thumb under half throttle so that if it gets worse, I have some room to put the hammer down.

·
Registered
885 Posts
WOT works on the SWT...the 20" should be no different. Plenty of umph in the 900 to keep the track turning in slush/water etc. It's not an 800 but lots of torque to keep her turning. Water/slush flying off the brake rotor and eventually onto the clutches or the same combo in through where the panels join is your biggest concern. Pin it and hang on.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
The protective belly pan help enormously in the slush/water from it getting on the disc/belt, on the skandics anyways, i've got a theory & in the works now of devising a simple plan to eliminate this problem altogether.

Reactions: J. McNugget

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i've got a theory & in the works now of devising a simple plan to eliminate this problem altogether.
Jet pack?

Reactions: suv1

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
You bugger you ST, now i got to come up with another theory!? :mad_old:

·
Registered
677 Posts
My vote goes for WOT. And stay on he trail, if there is one. I made two mistakes in the pic below: 1) I stopped on a lake, and 2) I pulled off the trail to do it.

I always carry a long rope when towing a sleigh on a lake where there might be slush.. the water and slush coming out from the tunnel has a very negative affect on the sleigh when up close, but slack it back 25 or 30 feet and it seems much easier to tow Worked for me on a number of occasions over the years

·
Registered
431 Posts
Stupid question - In really heavy stuff does anyone leave it in low gear (if you aren't hauling stuff) to be able to spin the big track in that slush?

I've typically just kept going in high and don't stop for anything but I'm betting in low gear you could get the track spinning but I"m not sure it would be fast enough to climb out.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think track speed is your friend in slush. Dropping to low gear would reduce the track speed.

My approach is to always grab a handful of throttle...preferably before you start to sink into it. Very similar to crossing open water. Momentum is your friend!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Yes momentum is the key, how you achieve it is up to you?

Reactions: Snow Terror

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Same discussion here a page back if you do a quick search.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1185426-slush-strategies/?hl=%2Bslush#entry14435826

I do usually use low gear if I know I'm going to hit slush. Depends on your load, how deep it is, clutching, and engine. But in the XU's, belt getting wet is usually a problem in any prolonged slush and water. The 600 and 900 don't have super strong belt clamping force in the clutch, and it's a lot of work plowing through slush and keeping the track turning. The combination of those factors means I choose low gear (even in my1200) and give-er.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just because I love this picture:

556010_548523553520_516718020_n_zpsohms4

The phazer was following me upriver and got trapped in the overflow in my trench. I never even noticed it because I was on step at 60kph 3/4 cracked. When i came back to see what was wrong, he never waved me off, when I slowed down, PLOP! As you can see from my trench, I couldn't get back on top from low speed. In this case it wasn't that bad, all I did was stomp down a trench for myself to get back on the shore ice and let it freeze up a bit. SUV walked out no problem after that. The phzer was 1000000x worse: no paddle, nose heavy and nothing to grip on. We basically had to muscle it out for two hours in 18" of water. Rope was about 20' short of the bank, couldn't get close enough with the SUV. It was a nightmare. If buddy hadn't been following in my trench he may well have just skipped over it like I did. Momentum is everything!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same discussion here a page back if you do a quick search.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1185426-slush-strategies/?hl=%2Bslush#entry14435826

I do usually use low gear if I know I'm going to hit slush. Depends on your load, how deep it is, clutching, and engine. But in the XU's, belt getting wet is usually a problem in any prolonged slush and water. The 600 and 900 don't have super strong belt clamping force in the clutch, and it's a lot of work plowing through slush and keeping the track turning. The combination of those factors means I choose low gear (even in my1200) and give-er.
Thanks forn the link. Before posting I did on search on this forum on slush. Don't have a clue why "slush strategies" wouldn't have shown up. I appreciate all the responses and tips...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts