Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this thread gets more views than the Expy/Freestyle thread so I'll post here as well. So this last weekend my Expy 550 came to a grinding halt with only 3000 kms on it. Man it sure isn't fun getting an engine out of an XP! But anyways, I got it apart and the top end is still perfect. The outer PTO side crank bearing is piled up. I see that up to 2010 that bearing was lubed using isoflex grease and is sealed from the crankcase chamber only by a sealed bearing. On the 2012 parts diagram it isn't clear if it uses isoflex grease or if it is lubed by the two stroke oil. The hole going through the crankcase to the bearing is plugged by a steel ball so I assume its supposed to be greased. It was bone dry so as far as I can tell, someone at Skidoo forgot to put the grease in it. Anybody know for sure if this is an isoflex bearing?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
3000kms is a little premature to loose the grease, i've seen 'em 5-6000 bind up but not 3, pretty sure they have isoflex, all their 2 strokes as far as i know, the grease holes are blocked so reason not to think otherwise, it's strange thought they don't show it on the parts list?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Looking at the 2011 parts view it shows the isoflex grease so I'm certain mine is the same way. There is no sign of any grease in the bearing or cavity and the outside seal is intact. I won't know about the inner seal until I pull the bearing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pressed the bearings off the crank tonight. The inner seal was intact and there was still grease in the inner PTO bearing. I guess that leaves it to being a defective bearing or under greased from the factory as everything else has been ruled out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts