Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm considering a new machine for next winter hopefully, and I'm looking for some data on the Expedition 900 and 1200.

Just wondering if anybody has a new model of either the 900 or the 1200 and can tell me how they compare?

My main concern with the 900 is the speed. I know it's not going to have a lot of top end, just wondering if anybody could tell me what the new 900 Expy can do top speed ?

And I have a couple of concerns with the 1200. Obviously the 1200 is not going to get the same fuel mileage as the 900, I'm just looking to see an average of what the 1200 can do for MPG.

And, what's it like on the slower speeds? I know it will have a lot more top end than the 900, but I want a machine that's more multipurpose. I want it to be able to take the wife and kids and go for a ride, and I also cut and haul firewood. I've heard that there was some lag on the low end with the 1200 ? Has anyone experienced this? Or is it fine to haul a fairly big load as well as the 900 will ??

Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
80 mph on my 900 Expedition LE with about 245 miles on it. I'm totally impressed with the sled, I wanted it for the multi-purpose thing also. I've done some trail riding and had no concerns whatsoever about keeping up or being able to maneuver. I haven't been able to check the mileage yet but will be filling up this weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
80 mph on my 900 Expedition LE with about 245 miles on it. I'm totally impressed with the sled, I wanted it for the multi-purpose thing also. I've done some trail riding and had no concerns whatsoever about keeping up or being able to maneuver. I haven't been able to check the mileage yet but will be filling up this weekend.
80, wow.......that's more than I thought the WT's would get. My cousin has a 600 ACE in the Grand Touring and although I don't think he's really tried it flat out on a pond or lake, I don't think he's gotten anymore than that.........Thanks

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
It's actually very impressive as a trail sled. I'm always surprised how I can hang the tail out when I want to have a bit of fun on the trails.

80, wow.......that's more than I thought the WT's would get. My cousin has a 600 ACE in the Grand Touring and although I don't think he's really tried it flat out on a pond or lake, I don't think he's gotten anymore than that.........Thanks
Well, you won't be seeing that very often with a 900, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was that 245 on one tank ???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes 245 miles on the sled at the time I hit 80 mph on the lake. Does anyone know how to reset that max speed?

I filled up and got 17.7 miles per gallon. Mostly trail riding.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
1200; I've hit 90. Some have reported more, like 95.

I've seen 10-18 mpg. Both extremes, only once.

10 was mostly breaking trail and getting hung up on downed trees. 18 was high speed RR grades in the Keweenaw. Tight trails with the occasional off trail puttering, I get about 14 pretty consistently. The 1200 likes speed.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
2016-02-07%2021_35_36-Rory%20Dysart%20-%

Oops, sorry I stumbled into a 4 stroke post...

The dreamometer is quite sad really, this only equals 92 GPS MPH.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can tell you that the 1200 in an Expedition SE is an absolute tank. If you're looking to haul a load with it, no problem. It shines, I can haul a big heavy load of wood a long ways without issue, biggest beast I've ever towed with. Can't say enough about it's towing ability. The extra weight from that heavy 4-stroke becomes an advantage when it weighs almost as much if not more than your load. Even with the komatik full to the rim with firewood plus my gear, I often have to look around at it to make sure it is still there as I can't really feel it, except over the really big bumps. As for speed, I have hit 165 kph on sea ice and still climbing when my safety sense kicked in and I said that's fast enough. That was only on the speedo though, not GPS or anything. I would be interested in people's experience with the 900 ace in this package as well to compare towing capacity, I'm not as concerned with top speed, though must say I'd like a bit more than what the 600 ace can do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone had any issues with handling ???

I read another post where guys were talking about issues with the weight on the skis. Some were looking to swap out the factory skis, and others were trying to use shims to put more weight on the back end of the ski to make it handle better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you're asking about the 1200 expedition, than yeah, it def wants to stay going in a straight line, need to use a lot of side-to-side leaning or "body english" to get it turning in the soft stuff. Certainly an aspect that could be better, but I take it as a compromise. The flotation from the stock pilot 6.9's is decent for such a heavy machine, and so I have not even considered changing them out. Like the 6.9's.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you're asking about the 1200 expedition, than yeah, it def wants to stay going in a straight line, need to use a lot of side-to-side leaning or "body english" to get it turning in the soft stuff. Certainly an aspect that could be better, but I take it as a compromise. The flotation from the stock pilot 6.9's is decent for such a heavy machine, and so I have not even considered changing them out. Like the 6.9's.
The 1200's don't have the DS2 skis?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The 1200's don't have the DS2 skis?
Not mine, I spring ordered the first time they put the 1200 in the XU chassis, 2010 model. Came stock with 6.9's.

Reactions: Skeld
1 - 20 of 20 Posts