Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did post before about how often everyone is cleaning their exhaust valves. I finally got mine apart and here is what I think. I feel the burnt oil is causing the gears to stick and not funtion smoothly. I think you have to base cleaning on how many miles you put on and how often you ride. I think that once a year is not enough. I don't get the chance to ride every week or week end so I am going to clean mine in between trips because I feel as it sits the oil is hardening. But if you are fortunate enough to ride more frequently than me and want to make sure that the sled performs it's best I would clean them once a month or every other week. This is just my humble opinion and take it as you want but if you are noticing any lack of performance that is one area where I would start to look. Hope this helps

·
Registered
118 Posts
Once a month or every other week

How many miles a week doo you put on? My 02 800 MXZX had over 3000 miles on it and I gave up on taking the raves apart after the first 1200 miles because they were always OK. I use AMSOIL INTERSEPTOR
and have not had a issue with grungy gummed up valves. The only trouble I had was back with my 02, I had a diaphram fail on the rave.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chodders said:
Once a month or every other week

How many miles a week doo you put on? My 02 800 MXZX had over 3000 miles on it and I gave up on taking the raves apart after the first 1200 miles because they were always OK. I use AMSOIL INTERSEPTOR
and have not had a issue with grungy gummed up valves. The only trouble I had was back with my 02, I had a diaphram fail on the rave.
[snapback]739228[/snapback]​
Correct me if I am wrong your 02 800 had springs that operated the valves and was not gear driven right. The valves themselves are not where I noticed a problem it is the gear drive and the shafts where it causing tight spots. I use Klotz. You can do what you want all I am saying is that I would rather be proactive instead of reactive. You probably can just wait for the mid range bog to show up or your servo to blow. Your sled not mine

·
Registered
904 Posts
Tad117 said:
I did post before about how often everyone is cleaning their exhaust valves. I finally got mine apart and here is what I think. I feel the burnt oil is causing the gears to stick and not funtion smoothly. I think you have to base cleaning on how many miles you put on and how often you ride. I think that once a year is not enough. I don't get the chance to ride every week or week end so I am going to clean mine in between trips because I feel as it sits the oil is hardening. But if you are fortunate enough to ride more frequently than me and want to make sure that the sled performs it's best I would clean them once a month or every other week. This is just my humble opinion and take it as you want but if you are noticing any lack of performance that is one area where I would start to look. Hope this helps
[snapback]739190[/snapback]​
Agreed! I had mine cleaned By the dealer 400-500 mi. ago & I took them apart last weekend and found a sludge filled mess. Because of lack of snow in N. IL. I can only ride every other weekend in the winter so my sled sits most of the time between trips up north. Even after the cleaning they didn't operate very smoothly because the passages they slide into the cylinder were also loaded w/ crap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Alright, I will take mine apart and check them. Maybe this is why guys are having Rave cable troubles with fuzes blowing. Maybe the slugde is faulting the servo and blowing the fuze. Could be. FYI I used to be a dealer for KLOTZ, I switched to AMSOIL several years ago along with many of my loyal customers. Don' t have nothing against KLOTZ just facts. And yes the 02 was spring and vacum operated but why did did rotax go to a gear drive it it's going to require so much maintence?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Try running Blue Marble oil ,You will be astonished at the way your R valves will look . Go to your local Mercury Marine dealer and pick up a can of Mercury Marine" Power tune " Engine tune up. This will literally dissolve the carbon deposits on the valve and in the slide area. This is some really good stuff.

·
Registered
904 Posts
DODOO MAN said:
Try running Blue Marble oil ,You will be astonished at the way your R valves will look . Go to your local Mercury Marine dealer and pick up a can of Mercury Marine Engine tune up. This will literally dissolve the carbon deposits on the valve and in the slide area. This is some really good stuff.

[snapback]739565[/snapback]​
I'm running Blue Marble. My valves had buildup on them, I have seen worse though. The problem is the sludge build up in the upper housing were the gears are. I have not checked the actual oil pump setting but my Mach uses very little oil I can run 2 days before I have to fill the oil tank

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dooman thanks for the info. chodders I am with you on the gear drive system and thanks for the info on the klotz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts