Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST INSTALLED EGTS IN BOTH PIPES AND CAN'T FIND ANYONE TO GIVE ME AN ANSWER ON WHERE THE TEMPS SHOULD BE AT IDLE, MIDRANGE, AND WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. I HAVE BURNT TWO PISTONS THIS YEAR ALREADY AND DON'T WANT TO DO IT AGAIN. I HAVE IT JETTED SO RICH NOW IT BURNS MY EYES. GOING TO TRY TO WORK BACK TO PROPER JETTING, BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TEMP RANGE I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR. EGTS ARE 4" FROM PISTON FACE INSTALLED IN TWIN PIPES.

·
Sled Builder
9,282 Posts
IDOGMPARTS said:
JUST INSTALLED EGTS IN BOTH PIPES AND CAN'T FIND ANYONE TO GIVE ME AN ANSWER ON WHERE THE TEMPS SHOULD BE AT IDLE, MIDRANGE, AND WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. I HAVE BURNT TWO PISTONS THIS YEAR ALREADY AND DON'T WANT TO DO IT AGAIN. I HAVE IT JETTED SO RICH NOW IT BURNS MY EYES. GOING TO TRY TO WORK BACK TO PROPER JETTING, BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TEMP RANGE I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR. EGTS ARE 4" FROM PISTON FACE INSTALLED IN TWIN PIPES.
[snapback]752971[/snapback]​
No one will be able to tell you what your temps should be. You are going about it backwards.

You first need to determine proper jetting by reading the sparkplugs and piston wash. You have the proper plug readings and piston wash, you then determine the temps and monitor them.

You should NEVER use the EGT's to tune the motor.

·
Registered
821 Posts
doo calls out 100MM from the piston in the race manual for EGT placement on a two cylinder w/single pipe. They also claim 1330 degrees = detonation. I have seen as high as 1360 on my guage with no detonation and great looking pistion wash. These temps are at mid throttle on a long run. At wide open throttle I see 1250 or so, which is a little rich. Idle 400 or so. These are not absolute numbers and burndowns occur well within the allowable range. You need to establish your guage readings by reading the plugs and pistion wash. Only use the guage as a reference, not as the final solution to jetting. Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SOUND ABOUT RIGHT. IT'S TEMP @ IDLE RIGHT NOW RUNNING RICH IS 400. WOT THOTTLE IS @ 1100. I'M NEW AT MODING THESE THINGS AND I'VE LEARNED THAT 3/4 THROTTLE AREA SEEMS TO BE THE MOST DANGEROUS FOR BURN DOWN. THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts