Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO, MY BUDDY AND I BOUGHT 2 NEW MXZ 800 THIS YEAR, MINE WITH 1000 MILES HIS WITH 600 MILES, AFTER A QUICK INSPECTION BEFORE A LONG RIDE, WE FOUND THE EXHAUST BOLTS ON BOTH SLEDS HAD BACKED OUT. MINE HAD 3 MISSING HIS HAD 4 GONE WITH THE GASKET. I FOUND 1 BOLT IN THE BELLY PAN, NO LOC-TITE, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SLEDS, THIS COULD HAVE TURNED INTO A MAJOR PROBLEM 100 MILES FROM HOME. THANK-YOU HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
moresnow said:
HELLO, MY BUDDY AND I BOUGHT 2 NEW MXZ 800 THIS YEAR, MINE WITH 1000 MILES HIS WITH 600 MILES, AFTER A QUICK INSPECTION BEFORE A LONG RIDE, WE FOUND THE EXHAUST BOLTS ON BOTH SLEDS HAD BACKED OUT. MINE HAD 3 MISSING HIS HAD 4 GONE WITH THE GASKET. I FOUND 1 BOLT IN THE BELLY PAN, NO LOC-TITE, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SLEDS, THIS COULD HAVE TURNED INTO A MAJOR PROBLEM 100 MILES FROM HOME. THANK-YOU HOPE THIS HELPS
[snapback]282232[/snapback]​
There was a recent thread on this subject... a couple of days ago... some are using loctite (don't remember the number), some the copper rtv.. and I forget what else... The 800 is a bit of a vibrator...... and it pays to check exhaust manifold bolts frequently.

But do a search and you should be able to find the thread..

Kind of why I wish they still made the 700, so much smoother.. and a little more power then the 600HO...

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Don't use locktite on exhaust bolts!
Get new bolts and torque to spec's

Rich

·
Registered
253 Posts
locktite is fine on exhaust bolts.

·
Registered
759 Posts
was at my dealer yesterday and a friend of mine brought his 800 x in bolts on one side m issing

·
Registered
674 Posts
I cleaned my bolts and used blue loctite (242) - no more problems. Everyone has an opinion, I am stating what worked for me ('04 600SDI). Per Loctite, the 242 threadlocker has a working range from -65 to 300 degrees fahrenheit. I am pretty sure the exhaust bolt holes are not getting to 300 degrees F.

·
Registered
242 Posts
GSX800HO said:
Don't use locktite on exhaust bolts!
Get new bolts and torque to spec's

Rich
[snapback]282273[/snapback]​
Can you explain how you'd torque an allen head bolt to spec in a space barely big enough for a mouse to scratch his *ss? Is there even a tool for torquing allen heads?

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
The torque spec is 16ftlbs or 22nm (377/552/593) 11nm or 97in/lbs for(593ho/593ho sdi/793ho pwrtek) and you use a special socket with a ball end allen driver.with a short extension with a torque wrench .
There is a specific patern in the shop manual
Locktite will harden rock solid after years no matter what color you use.been there.

Yes we all have opinions ,and you are welcome to yours !
sorry I should have explained my opinion better

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts