Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode a 97 Mach 1 for two years. It was a bear to wrestle around on the trails, but the low end power and the lake runs were always a blast with that sled.

My fear is that I will be disappointed with the performance of a 500/550/600 Rev chassis. While handling on the trails is my main concern and how much easier a Rev chassis will be on my back and knees, I'm always afraid that I will miss the low end grunt my Mach 1 had.

I had the chance to ride my buddies 550 GSX a couple times last year and it obviously handled better, but didn't give you the bug-eyed OH CRAP I need to hang on feeling that the older triples do to you on the trails.

Has anyone come from the rave triple to a 600 or smaller Rev and even though they handle better, were you finding yourself missing the power?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Budget is in the 3k range...... I don't see many 800's in my budget...

I do see a lot of Yamaha RX1's that fall in my budget but I hear the rear suspension on the 03/04's is primitive and the 05's are where it's at.

How do the 800 compare with the 700/800 triple?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Budget is in the 3k range...... I don't see many 800's in my budget...

I do see a lot of Yamaha RX1's that fall in my budget but I hear the rear suspension on the 03/04's is primitive and the 05's are where it's at.

How do the 800 compare with the 700/800 triple?
I had a 600 HO and while it had some pep it was nothing compared to the 800 my brother was riding. If your looking for all around comfort and power id get a rev 800, $3k is a little low but you may be able to find a decent 03/04 for $3500 or so. Getting closer to fall so the deals will start popping up

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a 600 HO and while it had some pep it was nothing compared to the 800 my brother was riding. If your looking for all around comfort and power id get a rev 800, $3k is a little low but you may be able to find a decent 03/04 for $3500 or so. Getting closer to fall so the deals will start popping up
I'm thinking I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on the few 600's I've found in my budget range...

I also have a 96 Vmax 600 and that sled felt a LOT better than my Mach 1 in the trails, but trying to keep up with everyone on their triples was difficult, I had to enter corners much hotter and pin the throttle to keep up... I had parked my Mach 1 and was trying to sell it so I finished out the year riding my Vmax 600 XT and I was constantly frustrated by how hard I had to ride to keep up.

If the darn Mach 1's and Mach Z's handled anything like the Revs I would solve this all real quick for about $1,000...grr!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Simple solution, 809 triple in a REV chassis. And if only someone could make a triple fit in the XP chassis that would be even better. I have a 500ss XP coming off my 99 Formula III 700. Honestly the engine is pathetic, but an 800R wasn't in the budget for me. I still have my Triple for racing and will not get rid of it anytime soon. 800 and 800 HO are in the same power range as the 700 Mach 1 but don't the top end the triple does. I'd hang on to the Mach as you'll miss the pull of the triple after the first ride on a twin.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simple solution, 809 triple in a REV chassis. And if only someone could make a triple fit in the XP chassis that would be even better. I have a 500ss XP coming off my 99 Formula III 700. Honestly the engine is pathetic, but an 800R wasn't in the budget for me. I still have my Triple for racing and will not get rid of it anytime soon. 800 and 800 HO are in the same power range as the 700 Mach 1 but don't the top end the triple does. I'd hang on to the Mach as you'll miss the pull of the triple after the first ride on a twin.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I think the 550 I rode, I didn't have enough time to get adjusted to it. I was so impressed by the handling and suspension that I never really paid much attention to the power. I know once I have a couple hours in on a 600 and get used to the shock'n'awe that I might be upset with the low/mid range power on the trail?

·
Registered
417 Posts
600s are not as fast as your old one but they still go 100+ mph

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think you'll be surprised the difference between the 600 HO and the 550F...

Set up correctly, the 600 HO will get you out of the hole and to top end pretty quickly...

And remember, the Rev chassie is a heck of a lot lighter than the Zx chassie...making it snappier than you'd expect comming off your Mach.

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
Sounds like you ride mostly groomed trails and lakes. If this is the case try and find a 2000 - 2002 Yamaha Srx 700 triple cyl/triple pipe(God & Dootalk forgive me). Lighter than the Mach 1, Handles and feels a lot lighter than the Mach 1, faster than the Mach 1, I was as fast or faster in the corners/twistes as anyone(see low center gravity). The only low point is this is not a bump sled so if you ride in a lot of beat up trails go with the REV.

·
XPert ss builder
7,272 Posts
Y don't u find a 2001-03 mach Z? Lighter than ur 97 more powerful and it'll handle better, also I don't know what u guys are talking about wen u say a 500ss is pathetic, I beat up on tripples all the time..... A good running 600ho or sdi rev with a clutch kit will run next to a stock tripple.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Y don't u find a 2001-03 mach Z? Lighter than ur 97 more powerful and it'll handle better, also I don't know what u guys are talking about wen u say a 500ss is pathetic, I beat up on tripples all the time..... A good running 600ho or sdi rev with a clutch kit will run next to a stock tripple.
When I go from 160 hp to 105 I don't even consider that in the same ball park. Even the lighter weight of my XP doesn't make that up. My 500ss will run with a 600 ho or sdi no problem, triples not a chance. But then again when I'm out with triples its out on the ice where they shine. Tight twisties or the moguls its better but that's about it.

·
XPert ss builder
7,272 Posts
160hp??? He has a STOCK 97 700, the 2003 mach Z was the most powerful @ 156hp stock where r u getting 160? A mach 1 700 makes in the mid 130's, my BB 500ss makes 128hp but weighs 150lbs less... A rev is 50lbs more than mine and a 600HO makes 125hp do the math.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I was referring to my 700.

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
Maybe a 600 triple, My 02 SRX 700 triple/triple would absolutely kill any stock 600 twin or 600 triple period.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
75,139 Posts
I never rode the straight up Rev chassis but I understand your concern. Although I had the MXZX 800's I still miss the eye buggin' holy crap acceleration of my 97 MXZ 670.

You all can laugh if you wanna but even now on my 08 800 XP I miss it.

But, what I realize now is I cover the ground much quicker on the XP than I did on the old 670. It's just so much smoother in acceleration that it seemed less eye popping. Not to mention the ride I now get and the handling.

Don't be afraid to move up into the newer stuff. It ain't as brutal as the hard hitting sleds from the past. But, trust me that "seat o the pants" speed racer you have now. Only FEELS quicker and more aggressive. Before long on the new stuff you'll be quicker than you realize.

Why else do you think there are more wreck Revs than any other chassis? Because you are going faster than you feel you are and get a false sense of security. Next thing you know you're blowing out a turn.

·
XPert ss builder
7,272 Posts
Maybe a 600 triple, My 02 SRX 700 triple/triple would absolutely kill any stock 600 twin or 600 triple period.
I'd bet $50 that my buddy's stock 600 E-tec would throw ice @ ya if I set his suspension up to do so.
I'd race u with mine but then all the excuses would come out... "Its a big bore, its ported, I can't hook up and u have long studs". All u tripple guys are the same, no twin is faster than u and if it is bring the excuse book. Some almost as bad as Polaris Riders... Lol there's a reason Craig Marchbank isn't running tripples anymore. I'm not trying to be a jerk but look how Ignorant/arrogant u sound "My Tripple Tripple" Yes your right I understand that EVERY manufacturer had tripples with tripple pipes with the exception of the Formula 3 I'm not an Idiot.... I had a '99 F3 improver that ran 121mph in 1000' ur "700 tripple tripple" doesn't impress me.
I'm sipmly stating to the topic starter that IN TRAIL FORM a 600 REV IS just as fast as his Stock 700 "tripple tripple"

1 - 20 of 56 Posts