Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friends skandic died on one cylinder last evening. Got it back to the garage and I was going to pull the plugs to have a look and found that the spark plug wire on the pto side was broken in two. Very odd, as there's nothing obvious it could've been rubbing on.

I tried rigging up a new one using a old spark plug wire and the coil end off the etec wire, but I couldn't get a good connection, so he'll have to pick up new parts today.

Anyone seen this happen before? I've never seen a spark plug wire just break off in the middle like that, on any sled i've ever owned.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I see them break by wrestling them around on the old singles and doubles but i never see one break on their own no, was it a clean break or jagged, could be a manufacture defect in the rubber but that wouldn't explain the wire breaking?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mechanic at the dealership said the wires will sometimes burn off like that. Doesn't always mean the coil is burnt, but it does sometimes happen that way.

We tried changing both wires and plugs. No difference, so tomorrow it'll be the coil. Fingers crossed she fires on both cylinders then.

·
Registered
80 Posts
a friends skandic died on one cylinder last evening. Got it back to the garage and I was going to pull the plugs to have a look and found that the spark plug wire on the pto side was broken in two. Very odd, as there's nothing obvious it could've been rubbing on.

I tried rigging up a new one using a old spark plug wire and the coil end off the etec wire, but I couldn't get a good connection, so he'll have to pick up new parts today.

Anyone seen this happen before? I've never seen a spark plug wire just break off in the middle like that, on any sled i've ever owned.
Just noticing this post but I've had 2 burn off like that. Coil went the first time and I tried to rig up a wire off an old inviter that was left at my cabin lol which didn't work. The second time I just replaced the wire with a new one.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
The OP said they were broke off, spark wires burning off is a different matter and not uncommon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts