Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, first ride was a week ago on my 2016, been running it full tits since the minute it was off the deck. Break in was done in 4 days. Been running top notch everyday, I got almost 600km on it now. And suddenly half way up the hill today It won't put anything past 7100rpm. Whether it's loaded or track in the air, just backfires and sounds like a rev limiter at 7100. Tried to keep running it to clean it out. No luck. So when I hit the trail on the way down I just held it wide open being angry, popping and farting at 7100rpm for a couple minutes, then a code came up for "rave valves no opening fully" ..... No way they are dirty after only 1 week of hard riding. Coils? Shorted wire? Wtf? Such a piss off when it's always on the days you plan on being the best

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should be under warranty. I hate to say it but take it back to the dealer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yes my week old sled is still under warranty. I'm posting so I can try to be riding by morning again instead of wait days.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Understandable, I am kind of in the same boat, mine was 6 days old and already need to make a claim. Hopefully someone can respond with an easy fix for you. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Could be a sensor or a mechanical failure. Someone with a 1200 just posted they had a major engine failure after 1 mile. Very rare but stuff can happen.

I'd pull a cable off the battery for 30 min as a Hail Mary to see if it resets anything. Otherwise, it's a trip to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Sounds like you need to have the exhaust valves open/closed settings reset. I've had this happen on past Etecs. But that requires the dealers computer.

Reactions: 2009 tnt etec

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Buds need to re sync the rave valves, otherwise the rave valves may have had a mechanical failure!
Get it checked asap.

Reactions: 2009 tnt etec

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ripping the raves apart, will go for a blast later tonight and test. If no dice, will get fullspeed rentals to resync the raves first thing in the morning

·
Registered
502 Posts
And change/clean those nasty spark plugs after break in. A fouled or partially fouled plug can play havoc on everything else staying in sync.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine did the same last week. Wouldn't push pass 7200. Needed a reflash!

Ace
Let hope to god that's it. All raves cleaned with no leaks. It's like it's hitting a rev limiter right there. Trying to post a 8 second vid but I can't put any sized files on here

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Ripping the raves apart, will go for a blast later tonight and test. If no dice, will get fullspeed rentals to resync the raves first thing in the morning
If your at a higher elevation there is a new flash that helps with this issue.
Good luck!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No luck with reflash. Everyone is stumped. Rev limiter at 7100rpm. No codes coming up on BUDS even with it wide open on the limiter there. Heading south to Playmor Power in cresant valley. Good to have a great dealer. Hope they get it fixed up tomorrow to ride Tuesday

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok dealer is the solution for warranty. But if u want to try some stuff at home on ur own.

1) change spark plugs - when u do this u have to index them. That means the gap pointed at injectors. Warm it up and then do a few passes on the flat

2) pop the rave caps off, manually move them up and down. Check it they move correctly. This will require a BUDS intervention to set the position. If they do not open sequentialy they will cause timing issues (backfire). Check for leak around the joints.

4) test compression should be within 10% of each other and above 140psi on a cold pull

5) ensure all ur intake holes are not clogged.

6) during idling observe clutch to see if there's mvt. If so ur crank or clutch is unbalanced (rare but happens)

7) clickers on clutch: all set to the same

8) drain fuel and and run new fuel.

9) clutching appropriate for elevation. Flyweights are still set to appropriate weight for your environment. It's not uncommon for a clutch balance weight (little shinny round thing jammed in the shieve of ur primary) to come loose and throw the clutch out of round

10) exhaust manifold leaks. U can see this by the presence of oil around the exhaust manifold gaskets and main donut. This would cause a lean condition

11) check ur intake boots for leaks. As in clamps are tight etc.

If all these are correct then the possibility of a timing issue (rare) or computer issue are definitely plausible. This something you would have to sort out at the dealer as no one has access to BUDS proprietary device. Typically, like others have said, ur symptoms describe a RAVE issue.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Called my dealer. Mine was the high altitude reflash. He has another one that he is chasing his tail. His take on what is going on...

1) High Altitude Reflash
2) Fouled plug
3) Fuel pump pressure

Hope you get it addressed! Keep us posted to your fix!

Ace

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a link I finally manged to get a vid online of hat it sounded like. Had it plugged into a buddies BUDS system in his shop with no luck finding any codes or issues when it was sitting there on a track stand on the limiter at 7100rpm. Drive 3 hours to my dealer. Put it on te track stand and it suddenly runs fine down there. Try finding and issue that doesn't exist, impossible. So we just reflashed everything again and cleaned out every electrical connector on the sled. I ride pretty much every day and the sled stays outside on the deck. But I've never had a moisture issue in any of my precious etecs. Hope it doesn't come back. Sled ran fantastic today.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
To me that seems to be a fouling plug as it studders!
Try a new set of plugs and run..her hard. See if it stumbles afterwards.

Good luck!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To me that seems to be a fouling plug as it studders!
Try a new set of plugs and run..her hard. See if it stumbles afterwards.
Good luck!
As I said it's working fine now. Put new plugs in first thing when it happened with no change in the issue, so the original plugs are back in now. Crazy weird stuff eh

1 - 20 of 34 Posts