Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted a range of fuel delivery that was simple and easy to adjust in the field for the etec.

Purchased these components last spring but did not assemble them tell today. This is nothing new or nothing i am wanting to market. Just a personal tuning tool for the complicated etec fuel system. I am sure some of our vendors have this same gizmo for tuning fuel delivery on there modified Etecs. It is built fully plug and play.

Just need some quality snow to test it out... Dang it.

Glasses Head Vision care Eye Eyewear

Attachments

Reactions: Sorcerer

·
Premium Member
28,393 Posts
Is that a POT?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 25K ohm rheostat. Only trouble is it enriches the whole fuel curve. Not real tuneable vs a PCV.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the chance to run this thing on a stock motor 800R etec over the weekend.

Have five segments or lines on the box for a quick reference. Number 1 is Zero or open no resistance. 2 is 7K ohm. 3 is 14K ohm. 4 is 22K ohm and wide open it 25K ohm. At -20 deg C this weekend on a stock motor with small timing bump, 25K ohm is to rich. 14K ohm is ok but 7K ohm is better. Most noticeable is off/on throttle midrange richness but cleans up on wide open throttle runs.

Would be fun to try with timing cranked full advance and turn up the fuel.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,393 Posts
Is this the total resistance being given to the ECM in place of the sensor, or the additional resistance to the sensor?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This would be additional. Stock sensor is still in place.

·
Premium Member
28,393 Posts
I don't have the readings below -20C, but just taking a guess from the 3 shown below there is a multiplication factor or roughly 1.62 for each block of 10 degrees C. Since you were riding at -20C the sensor should show roughly 15 K + the 25 K = 40 K. This is roughly -40 C.

The 7K setting @ -20C would total ~22K or -30C. Nice find!

From Shop Manual

0 C 5.705 K
-10 C 9.102 K
-20 C 14.900 K

3.4 K difference between 0C and -10C
5.8 K difference between -10C and -20C

Estimate using 1.62 as the multiplier.

0 C 5.7 K
- 10 C 9.1 K
- 20 C 14.9 K
- 30 C 24.1 K
- 40 C 39.1 K
- 50 C 63.3 K
- 60 C 102.6 K

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is interesting info. I do not have access to the shop manual. Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
28,393 Posts
Ski-B, you do know this was a brilliant idea, eh? Obviously this is an old sensor trick that began when the first cars got filled with sensors decades ago, but how often do you see this for sleds even in 2017? The irony is that folks go about their business with their hand held computers walking the corridors just like Gene Roddenberry imagined it decades ago while we see a simple POT as this magical devise lol

What brought this on was reading the topic 800 etec miss-bog (click the link) and I couldn't help to think back to your topic and how easy it would be to eliminate the Air/Fuel ratio as a likely problem. There are many other topics that would also fit the bill. Do you remember the owner who set his 800RE back to Break-In mode just to find all his problems had disappeared?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little more tinkering with the dial a jet. On my 2016 it accepts 7K and even 14K better than the 2012 did. It seams as tho the later models are calibrated some what leaner in mid throttle.

This is all on stock engines. I do not modify my engines anymore. Sorry.

Reactions: djm

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Air temp sensor in the upper air box.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Where did you get the connectors on each end from? I have a 25k pot i'd like to wire in being plug and play.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purchased a stock air temp sensor. Then cut the end off it, to expose the metal terminals, and solder your wires to the two terminals. Heat shrink it, tape and wire loom. Kind of a pricey way of doing it...but the only way.

You can not but the terminal end from any supplier.

Reactions: barski

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just put a switch on my dash that has 6K resistance in it and tapped into the sensor harness. now at the flick of a switch I can enrich the fuel delivery if I have to get questionable fuel or I am doing long high speed trail runs.

·
Premium Member
28,393 Posts
I just put a switch on my dash that has 6K resistance in it and tapped into the sensor harness. now at the flick of a switch I can enrich the fuel delivery if I have to get questionable fuel or I am doing long high speed trail runs.
Wow, nice going! So how has it worked so far with the added 6K resistance? Are there areas in the rpm/load range that are more responsive?

·
Premium Member
28,393 Posts
Thx! That reminds me, does it work on a stand?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Always wanted a range of fuel delivery that was simple and easy to adjust in the field for the etec.

Purchased these components last spring but did not assemble them tell today. This is nothing new or nothing i am wanting to market. Just a personal tuning tool for the complicated etec fuel system. I am sure some of our vendors have this same gizmo for tuning fuel delivery on there modified Etecs. It is built fully plug and play.

Just need some quality snow to test it out... Dang it.

attachicon.gif
011.jpg
Nice ! Where did you get those parts ? I need one that goes from 0 to 2000 ohm

1 - 20 of 40 Posts