Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is it possible to swap some type of EFI onto an '02 legend 700?

I am no stranger to engine swapping/frankenstining things. Have been doing it to cars for years.

I'm looking for better mileage, and don't want to be down on power over what I have now.

My 700 is in great shape, but 100 miles per tank is beginning to be off-putting when my riding parterns are all pushing well beyond that in their new 800's.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Maybe its time to upgrade the sled. Anything is possible, but at what expense? I know the ZX chassis had a 800sdi for a very short time, not sure about a 600sdi. Either way, I would say a 600sdi would be the most logical choice.

·
Mod Smut
4,825 Posts
IMO it wouldn't be worth the expense to buy a full 600 or 800 etec after you have to get the motor, exhaust, wiring harness, electronics, etc..

But if you want, then yeah it's surely doable. Would need to either fab up or get some motor mounts that'll work, buy a complete motor, get all electronics (and I'd switch over all handlebar electronics and throttle cable to something off an XP or newer). While it'd be a cool project, I don't think it's worth pouring a few grand into just a motor for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe its time to upgrade the sled. Anything is possible, but at what expense? I know the ZX chassis had a 800sdi for a very short time, not sure about a 600sdi. Either way, I would say a 600sdi would be the most logical choice.
I like my ZX. Rode the rev's and didn't like them. So, I put custom valved shocks from Monster, put on a new track, and I just enjoy it.

The sled really suits my style. When my rev friends ride it, they compliment the cadillac'ish ride and cruizer quailties of it.

I'll look into the 600 sdi, but was hoping to do more of a retro-mod on the 700.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO it wouldn't be worth the expense to buy a full 600 or 800 etec after you have to get the motor, exhaust, wiring harness, electronics, etc..

But if you want, then yeah it's surely doable. Would need to either fab up or get some motor mounts that'll work, buy a complete motor, get all electronics (and I'd switch over all handlebar electronics and throttle cable to something off an XP or newer). While it'd be a cool project, I don't think it's worth pouring a few grand into just a motor for it.
So, is complete motor swap the only option?

I agree -- Several grand is not worth it, but $1200 - $1600 is not out of the question for me.

·
Mod Smut
4,825 Posts
But mind you, you can't even find an sdi for under $1500 that has all electronics, throttle bodies and exhaust

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That seems like a ton of work for a sled that is almost a dinosaur. I couldn't imagine anyone preferring a ZX chassis over an XP or XS. Try and ride one of those and then make your decision. The ride difference is literally life changing. For the cost of the parts and your time necessary to make everything work, you could be on a used XS in good shape.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is the SDI even going to be that much better for fuel economy in the zx chassis?

I think your going to be hard pressed to find a better engine that combined throttle response, power, reliability and decent mpg than the DPM 700. That is a great engine that did everything well.

I think you may be better off making your current set up more efficient. I would start by making sure everything is in good working order. After that, you may be able to mess with clutching, gearing, slides, bigger idler wheels. Ect.

Or go crazy with all of that underhood room and drop in a yamaha 1000 4 stroke.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That seems like a ton of work for a sled that is almost a dinosaur. I couldn't imagine anyone preferring a ZX chassis over an XP or XS. Try and ride one of those and then make your decision. The ride difference is literally life changing. For the cost of the parts and your time necessary to make everything work, you could be on a used XS in good shape.
I know I'm crazy, it's not a secret. I have driven my '99 BMW 540i daily with a cammed corvette LS2 and T56 magnum every day for the last 4 years, complete with climate control and heated leather seats.

I've ridden the REV's. Can't see the benefit in a $4-5000 sled (bare minimum cost to even touch what I have now) that everyone tells me "keep riding one, you'll start to like it!!" -- It just isn't me, and the massive swings we see in northern PA riding is feast or famine. I feel bad for my buds that just bought new sleds this year that they haven't even been able to break-in this year. I like my sled, but hate the constant staring at the fuel gauge.

I am going to keep my eyes open for wrecked sleds, and if that doesn't work out, maybe I'll piece it together.... Not a bad idea. Find a second sled, swap out the goodies, and then fix the wreck and put my 700 in it to have a second sled for my wife/kids to ride.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the SDI even going to be that much better for fuel economy in the zx chassis?

I think your going to be hard pressed to find a better engine that combined throttle response, power, reliability and decent mpg than the DPM 700. That is a great engine that did everything well.

I think you may be better off making your current set up more efficient. I would start by making sure everything is in good working order. After that, you may be able to mess with clutching, gearing, slides, bigger idler wheels. Ect.

Or go crazy with all of that underhood room and drop in a yamaha 1000 4 stroke.
I'm not against fixing what I have. I put the 600 HO carbs on my 700 and gained at least 1-2MPG, and the overall throttle response and smooth operation made that mod worth it, but it's just not enough. I have to keep up with new 800's, which means heavy on the throttle all the time in this old 700.

Even if I can squeeze a consistent 11-12 MPG out of it, I'm still going to be odd-man out.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
All that work and money for a couple of mpg. Why not buy a gas caddie?

You are going to put way over a grand into your sled and not make it worth a penny more. Will be worth less because no one wants a hodge podge sled.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All that work and money for a couple of mpg. Why not buy a gas caddie?

You are going to put way over a grand into your sled and not make it worth a penny more. Will be worth less because no one wants a hodge podge sled.
The way I see it, nobody wants it now except me. Considered gas caddie, but don't want fuel or the tanks flying all over the place. Do you have a link to a good solution or experience with carting extra gas around?

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Guys carry gas caddies every day without them flying all over. You might have to mock up an attachment for the new style caddy to your tunnel but if you are willing to do a complete motor swap I think you could handle that. Look in to the new Linq style doo caddy.

·
Registered
622 Posts
While I like the idea of motor swaps I agree with the above if gas mileage is the concern carry some more fuel! Or put an apex motor in it, if you have an ls powered bimmer you should be able to pull the apex swap off

And really you like riding a zx chassis over newer? To each his own

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes! And I prefer my e39 over the e60 and F10 chassis too ;)

Apex would not be cost effective unless I fell into one dirt cheap. I'm trying to be realistic here...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
What if you extend the tunnel some. ..and mount linq breakers on it to hold the linq has can. . uploadfromtaptalk1455160636595.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Attachments

Reactions: Rotax809rider
1 - 20 of 79 Posts