Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a very quick trip out West to ride at 10,000 ft. elevation with an 2010 etec 600 XP. Has anyone ridden the etec with stock (base elevation clutching) in the mts.? Are you able to get by and ride with stock clutching? No time to clutch, but plan on taking the sled out to ride for two days.

Any input would be appreciated,
T.

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
Planning a very quick trip out West to ride at 10,000 ft. elevation with an 2010 etec 600 XP. Has anyone ridden the etec with stock (base elevation clutching) in the mts.? Are you able to get by and ride with stock clutching? No time to clutch, but plan on taking the sled out to ride for two days.

Any input would be appreciated,
T.
pin weight has to be dropped...the straight 48 helix is too much also...easy clutch kit that you can keep in sled when you get back...

800R summit 43/47 helix...stock everything else...but adj pin at stock weight (or little heavier for at home)...and about 5 grams less per pin for high elevation-BJ

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
It absolutely has to be changed you will be better to rent than take it out if you don't change the pins.
And the helix which is too tall in the flat lands too...

Figure you have about 30% less horsepower and if you don't detune the clutching the effect will be worse then a 30% loss in power.

The 600 etec doesn't pull the stock clutching well in the flat lands!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Figure you have about 30% less horsepower and if you don't detune the clutching the effect will be worse then a 30% loss in power.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
i've been to idaho several times with large groups of skidoos and we never reclutch, just click up to 5 or 6 and you'll be fine.been out there with cats and polaris' that reclutch and the skidoos run stronger than them just ckicked up

Attachments

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
i've been to idaho several times with large groups of skidoos and we never reclutch, just click up to 5 or 6 and you'll be fine.been out there with cats and polaris' that reclutch and the skidoos run stronger than them just ckicked up
Ha ha.. all I have to say is some guys don't care if you leave something on the table with their clutching, they could have so much more even in Wisconsin/Michigan let alone at 10,000 ft out west!

Not that there is anything wrong with that. That's why they sell stock sleds the way they do.

I was disappointed with my new 600 etec when I got it, kind of doggy I thought. Had to bump up the clutch engagement speed and get a more useable helix in it... fine tune the pin weight and it is getting to the point where I am much happier riding it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Ha ha.. all I have to say is some guys don't care if you leave something on the table with their clutching, they could have so much more even in Wisconsin/Michigan let alone at 10,000 ft out west!

Not that there is anything wrong with that. That's why they sell stock sleds the way they do.

I was disappointed with my new 600 etec when I got it, kind of doggy I thought. Had to bump up the clutch engagement speed and get a more useable helix in it... fine tune the pin weight and it is getting to the point where I am much happier riding it.
i do agree there is more,but for a quick romp why go through all of that and w/o testing and redial out there it's useless. you could change a bunch of clutching and w/o going out there to test you could make it worse.for the most part us flatlanders go to the mountains to have fun in the powder but never get into serious mountain climbing.mountain climbing to a flat lander is alot different than a guy thats from that area.like i said we click up to 5 or 6 and our sleds will pull the correct rpm.i've been out there 8 times in 8 to 12000 ft.with anywhere from 12 to 20 skidoos that had no clutchwork and we always have a blast.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i do agree there is more,but for a quick romp why go through all of that and w/o testing and redial out there it's useless. you could change a bunch of clutching and w/o going out there to test you could make it worse.for the most part us flatlanders go to the mountains to have fun in the powder but never get into serious mountain climbing.mountain climbing to a flat lander is alot different than a guy thats from that area.like i said we click up to 5 or 6 and our sleds will pull the correct rpm.i've been out there 8 times in 8 to 12000 ft.with anywhere from 12 to 20 skidoos that had no clutchwork and we always have a blast.
Great points guys. Thanks! I am heading out to Wyoming Thurs. night and be back Monday morning 6am for work. A quick weekend to get some late season riding in with some buddies from WI.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Ok, I can buy that. I also live in the midwest now, and I like to have the best clutching possible here and out there, must confess I grew up out there.

Big John gave him exactly what would work there, there is no guess work in John's recommendations.

tklaird have a great time out there, looks like you are catching the weather just right based on what Chuck posted a little bit ago!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Pattern Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Pattern Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Pattern Here is the H/A chart that all dealers have,
The cam can be left as s if trail riding but as others have said changing to a smaller angle will improve performance a lot.
Good luck and have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Here is my take after having my e-tec gade at 1100 '+ late last month. I had a Cudney kit and set up as Bill suggested. It worked ok but my stock gearing was a bad choice for me (not enough track speed).
If I were you and did not want to spend for the clutch kit right now. I would click up as suggested to 5 or 6. But I would look for a 102 chain and a 21t top sprocket. This would give you a huge advantage over your stock gearing. Perhaps you might be able to borrow the chain from one of your buddy's??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts