Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not that I know of.........I have a mold I used to make them. Some guys just get 1/4" lexan and the bend it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you considered selling windshields? If so any idea of costs? Jason Parrins is making his own and selling them, but they do not have the side flaps. Sure would be cool if the makrolon was available in smoke like the original windshield.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you considered selling windshields? If so any idea of costs? Jason Parrins is making his own and selling them, but they do not have the side flaps. Sure would be cool if the makrolon was available in smoke like the original windshield.
I have considered it, but seem to have too many unfinished projects and not enough time even though I'm now retired. If I were to fabricate another windshield with side flaps and bent top lip I would need to charge a minimum of $200 USD not including packaging, shipping and export costs. Cost would not include the black snap caps which I installed after the windshield was mounted to the Elite.

I'm not sure how I would package the windshield as the bent top lip would make it difficult to roll up and the 17" x 54" x 3" high flap sheet size shipped flat would be prone to damage and scratches.

I believe smoked Makrolon (polycarbonate) is available in 1/16" and 1/8" thickness, but the 1/8" thickness is too thick to work with. Alternatively, Plasti-Dip has a smoke colour removable rubberized spray paint that could be used to achieve a smoke coloured windshield. I used 3/32" thick clear Makrolon which seems to be an ideal thickness. The windshield that came with my 81 Elite was 1/16" thick with the appropriate bends, but I don't know if it was the original OEM windshield that came from the factory (although it sure seemed to be). Looking at the following Ad for an 81 Elite, Elan and Alpine, the windshield appears to be clear. Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree Ive seen this ad before and it is a clear windshield. My 1981 has 332 original miles and everything else is original. I have not looked to see if I can find a Bombardier part # on it. Did Kimpex offer a smoked screen.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I also need a windshield on my 74 - I will probably make one.

That winch is sweet on the front of that Elite!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts