Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just Killin' Time Till Summer
1,258 Posts
Ok I have a 800 Renegade 2006 and the last couple of days here it's been hovering just above the freezing mark.
I was out with a crowd on Saturday towing my Kiddos in their snow coach.
My engine temp which usually runs at the bottom mark (or at the 1/4) was for the most part at the second mark or half way to red, and when coming back in around the tight trails and near the houses it went up to the third notch. I shut it down for a few mins and when I started up again the temp rose above where it was when I shut it down and the idiot light flashed 2 maybe 3 times until the fluid started to circulate againthen all was ok.
Was out again today with out a tow behind and my temp stayed mostly around
the middle mark.
It would go down if we ventured off trail in new snow, but if we stayed on the beaten path it would run hotter than I am use to seeing.
Now the big question has how hot do these engines run normally
and how much hotter is the 2nd and 3rd notch or in the red on the temp gauge.
Now if I didn't have the Temp gauge all would look normal, as you wouldnt see the temps rising, except for the 2 or 3 flashes of the idiot light when I first restarted so I am sure now damage has been done Just wondering is all.

Tanks.

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
I have an aftermarket gauge on my 2005 800PT which I bought from Summit Racing.

FYI, at 185*F the idiot light starts to flash. This is the point at which you had better find fresh snow for cooling or shut it down.

Normal running temperature on good trails is usually between 105-120*F.

As long as your temp gauge stays out of the red and the idiot light stays off, you are good to go.

Jerry C.

G

·
sleddude5 said:

FYI, at 185*F the idiot light starts to flash. This is the point at which you had better find fresh snow for cooling or shut it down.

As long as your temp gauge stays out of the red and the idiot light stays off, you are good to go.

Jerry C.
[snapback]749696[/snapback]​
That`s good to know! thanks!

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sleddude5 said:

Jerry C.
[snapback]749696[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info, that is exactly the numbers I was looking for.
I just got back from an other run, this time towing the kiddos in the snow coach.
2 Deg below freezing and my temp stayed pretty much at the bottom mark.
Guess it has to do with the sticky snow not getting up around the coolers.
Just have to watch it in warmish weather.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts