Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just trying to install my ambient air temp and engine temp module into my brand new 2016 ski doo renegade X and I know that through the years the location has changed( as well as whether the temp will be displayed in bars or numerical numbers). Just wondering if anyone has done an install yet on the 2016?

Also I've already purchased the ski doo 12volt outlet and would like to install that inside the Glove box extension I've already installed to charge my cell phone while I'm riding or possible run a gps unit in the future. So I need to locate the plug in for the 12volt harness as well, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should mention that this is my first snowmobile so any preventative maintenance advice specifically for the renegade would be greatly appreciated and things to carry in the storage bags that might come in hand would be great.

2016 skidoo Renegade X
Pull start installed
Glove box extension and liner
19l Linq storage bag
11l Linq jerry can
Tank bag

·
Registered
168 Posts
Super easy to install both. Temp unit has a thermometer that must be installed by the exterior shock tower. Put 12v plug in before installing box extension. Just follow instructions.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Have air temp. sensor kit also, not the best bang for buck for sure, temp. sensor mounting placement is a bad afterthought at best, and you see the reading in the odometer part of the gauge which I hate, does anyone know if the temp. can be displayed on the main part of the gauge?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If the engine temp is already accessible, having the premium gauge, why spend that kind of money on the module just to know how cold it is outside? Just get a small stick-on thermometer, or get one of those Casio watches that have temp. I think their under $20.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
to the op question, I followed the directions except for the sensor routing, I just fed the sensor wires between the panels at the top of the shock tower, didn't want to drill holes, and might even move the sensor to the front grill. even thought of mounting it somewhere on top of the clutches to see how hot the clutches get unless the sensor doesn't read that high, in any case there's lots of wire to mount it pretty much anywhere. 12 volt plug is usually just under the tripod above the eng. spare belt for sure, I like the doo carbon fibre tower brace also, and keep the eng temps cool imo the biggest key to a healthy 2 stroke, scratchers are a must also imho.

·
Registered
623 Posts
he should if it is a 2016 x. I know you get the eng temp, don't think u get the ambient temp
It's an Adrenaline. Standard gauge.

Please HELP!!!!! I cannot find the connection to hook up the temp sensor and the pics do not help. Even where the sensor goes! Can someone please take some pics and help me out? I spent an hour last night looking and came up empty!!!

Thanks,

Fred

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's an Adrenaline. Standard gauge.

Please HELP!!!!! I cannot find the connection to hook up the temp sensor and the pics do not help. Even where the sensor goes! Can someone please take some pics and help me out? I spent an hour last night looking and came up empty!!!

Thanks,

Fred
You need to run your main wire up the ( clutch side ) pyramid post . Feed it up near the steering post making sure it doesn't contact anywhere. Next, feed it down by the backside of the chain case ( near the right foot well ). I wouldn't zip tie anything yet, wait until everything is connected. The plug your looking for is set in a dummy socket just above and to the right of the right foot well. Once you make this connection , find a good safe area to tuck the wires and connector out of harms way. As for the temperature probe, I would recommend drilling the hole as suggested , and install in the shock tower area. this way it shouldn't collect snow and give false readings. Also, on the pyramid post you will find an existing wire support ( about half way up ) that has additional openings for your new line, worked well for me. For me the trickiest part was zip tieing the small temp probe into the correct position. The reason to wait on zip ties, is so you can leave enough wiggle room in the wires allowing for access to the main plug harness. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought the same module 860201362 for my 2017 Renegade Adrenaline 900. I have combed the internet and this site for any pics on how the module installs to the sled. I see in the pic above where it is mounted, but I can't for the the life of me figure out how to actually secure it to the body using the aluminum plate that came with it. Was just wondering if anyone had any other pics showing how its secured or any other good tips? The directions that came in the box would be better served to start a fire! Beyond frustrated....... :shrug

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks firehouse17 for the reply, those are some great pics. I can clearly see now why mine mounts differently, your aluminum mount plate is different than mine. Here is my mount plate and the very vague directions say to mount it to the right side in front of the "sidewing" panel. I found the plug I need right next to the chaincase and I can route the wires, it is just this darn mount plate that has me baffled.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
On my 16 Gade, the plug was in a blank spot on the oil tank. I would not say it was easy as the directions were vague, but I got it done with help.
That plug in the oil tank is the BUDS Diagnostics connector and it is not meant for the Cluster accessory modules.

The harness plug used for the modules is typically tied near the steering column on the XS under the hood.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That plug in the oil tank is the BUDS Diagnostics connector and it is not meant for the Cluster accessory modules.

The harness plug used for the modules is typically tied near the steering column on the XS under the hood.
All I can tell you is that is what I used (Per my Service guy) and it works great. I searched for hours for a plug at the steering column. I finally gave up and called my dealer.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
That is the BUDS Diagnostic Port..... I can say that with 100% certainty..... and while it provides the a communication path to the ECM and Cluster, it was not meant to for accessory plug in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Anyone install one of these since my last posts and pictures? I still have not had any luck mounting this due to the way the aluminum mount plate is configured. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That is the BUDS Diagnostic Port..... I can say that with 100% certainty..... and while it provides the a communication path to the ECM and Cluster, it was not meant to for accessory plug in.
I believe they started using it for accessories lately since it connects to the 12v power circuit.. This is the second user that said he was told by the dealer to plug in there and this is the only 6 pin deutsch connector I'm aware on the skidoo harness. So if an accessory comes with the correct plug this has to be where it connects.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: firehouse17
1 - 20 of 24 Posts