Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have RTK 827 kit with 250 miles on it. yesterday it seized. I rode it aroung the neighborhood earier that day and it has always ran great. My plugs have always looked great. I let it warm up for about 5 minutes then went around the parking lot a few times. It had been ran for at least 10 minutes. I know it was warmed up and it sounded great and everything seemed fine. Then I started up the trail and made it 20 minutes and it locked up. I took it home and opened it up. It looked like a cold seize. The piston and rings were melted together and the cylinder is scared pretty bad too. The damage was only on the intake and exaust sides of the piston. There is no signs of air leaks. I am running the jetting Kelsey at RKT told me to put in. I was riding at cub river were Kelsey rides all the time so he knows were to jet them. I am bummed out. If it is a cold seize then why did one side go down hard and the other look perfect. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It did look a little lean but they were not bad. A little light but still a meduim brown. The jetting should be good. I got it from Kelsey and I ride were he rides. It went down on the clutch side. I was going about 35. I got on it and a moment latter it locked up. The carbs looked clean.

I wonder if that sides cylinder is to tight. If it was to tight then the forged piston might get to tight when it warms up. I have not shecked it yet but Im going to have them measured.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it out to Kelsey yesterday and had him look at it. He tought it was an over heat or a oil issue. Also he thinks it is too lean in teh mid range. Form 6500 to 7200 his kits and 800 doos in general run very lean here. Well this is were I was at when it went. SO he cleaned out the cylinder, for me a useable piston, rings and new gaskets and sent me on my way. Cool. So I put it back together checked the tremostat to make sure it is working. then I jsetted up 4 sizes from 360s to 400s to be safe. Lifted the neadles all the way and cranked the oil injection up. I it is running and I will let you know how it runs. Kelsey is a great guy though. He did not have to help me out. Brian

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
good to hear you fpund the problem, wouldn't want to do it twice! seems that you'll be too rich though throughout the whole circuit. better rich than lean. good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts