Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres my new ****ty situation, after tearing the whole engine out and reclacing check vaulves in bottom of crank, i spent today putting it all back into the sled. i got everything hooked up and looking good and after a few pulls she fired right up and ran good. BUT I GOT TWO ISSUSE!!!

1: engine ran good but there is a loud knock. not noticeable when giving it gas but at idle is is very loud. sounds like it is coming right from the middle of the engine. it didnt do this at the end of the season last year. when i just pull it with the plugs out turning the engine over quickly i dont hear any knock, it sounds good. what could be knocking?

2: when i put my clutch back on i thought it looked like it wasnt going on as far as it usually did by about 1/8 inch, and when i ran the sled today when it moved inward it was fine, but when i let off the gas is slowly moved outward then then the last like 1/2 inch it would snap out to where it sits not rotating. what the hell it up with that?

HELP PEASE< put alot of work into the sled and snow is comeing....

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
1. Pull primary clutch apart to inspect the o rings and sliders. The 800 I bought 2 years ago was like that. I bought it right, so I wasn't worried. The noise turned out to be the primary clutch.

2. Is your belt on? This normally happens when the engine is ran without the belt.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i dont have my belt on. i think i will try it with belt on. and if i still have a problem i will pull the clutch off and run it with clutch off and if the noise stops then it must be in the clutch.

·
Registered
523 Posts
DO NOT RUN IT WITH THE CLUTCH OFF ! YOU WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE MOTOR IF YOU DO ! The clutch is there to help balance the motor , without it you could damage the crank bearings , over rev the motor and damage the rod bearings , lots of bad things could happen by running the motor without the clutch on .....

BTW its perfectly normal for the TRA clutches to rattle at idle as the arms inside the primary do not have any tension on them and they hang loose inside till the RPMs rise and tension is put on the clutch arms ...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP! but can i just run my engine with it off for like 5 seconds? just to confirm its not my engine knocking? i will be drove nuts by this noise thinking my engine will blow at any moment. and iv never evan took a clutch apart what should i do and look for? it just bothers me because last season there was no noise. and now after takeing everything off, them putting it back together now all of assudden i have some loud knock

·
Registered
963 Posts
Your engine will run fine without the clutch, just don't rev it to the moon. I have never seen a motor get damaged in my life due to a clutch being off at idle. Look at sea doo motors and such, I don't see them falling apart and I have one with a 951 twin with over 200hours. Who woulda thunk? Not completely the same but the idea is there.

The older TRAs, we'll most I should say are noisy. I have done the same thing over the years to check for piston knock.

IMO run it without the clutch and idle, you can rev it up a few hundred RPM to make sure.

Also have you seen dyno machines for sleds? Wow you have to take the clutch off to make a pull? I must be in the wrong time zone. Haha Sorry Im not for false advertisement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok will do, guna take it off tonight and try it out and hopefully its the clutch. but dtoldave what are those? i know very little about clutching, are those just a tool for making it easier to install new buttons?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well , I have always been told to never run the engine without the clutch on by guys with many years in the sport . And I bet there is some sort of balancer in that SeaDoo motor to keep it from eating itself . Sorry no false advertisement here just relaying info from people whom I trust know what they are talking about .....

O.P. call your local shop and ask them if its a good idea to run your motor without the clutch .....

Those are little holders that hold the button/sliders on the outer part of the clutch so you can put it back together easier , there are 6 total .....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
does anybody know of any online videos of how to service a clutch? ive youtubed the hell out of it and cant find anything good.

im guna need vid to service it i never have before

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so lets switch directions. just took clutch off, started it up, let it idle for about 10 sec. KNOCK WAS STILL THERE!!!! its not super dupper loud knock over the rest of the noise, but there is defiantly a knock. what the hell could be knocking? im assuming im just guna pull the head and jugs off. then inspect from there. and a new top end regardless.

so what should i look for we i do get around to pulling the jugs off.??? im guna have to wait for a warmer day!!!!! next couple days it isnt getting above like 5....

i just had the whole thing apart, none of the crank bearings grinded of jiggled at all. and if i remember right the rods had no play other that slight play side to side.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just looked this could be an issue. i guess low octane, and i would think after 8 months of sitting it has dropped, causes a knock. because when i pull it over withought and plugs in it it sounds good. no knock just air moveing through engine. but how to i test this? fill it up and put octane booster in it, then run it and see if it dissapears?

i would just hope that is it and not a bad internal part and the i totally fudge up the crank or something.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok so, been reading around as i too am having this issue. very loud knocking when idling. gets louder when reved. once moving 'seems' to go away. started it up today and tried something new ahaha.. i put my ear in there and listened... here is what i found. ear beside clutch: no knocking... ear just above engine/carbs: loud knocking..

i use fresh high octane fuel and chaincase was just serviced (looks fine with new fluid)

this knocking is very discomforting as i really dont want it to blow.

do any dooers out there know what this is???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok so, been reading around as i too am having this issue. very loud knocking when idling. gets louder when reved. once moving 'seems' to go away. started it up today and tried something new ahaha.. i put my ear in there and listened... here is what i found. ear beside clutch: no knocking... ear just above engine/carbs: loud knocking..

i use fresh high octane fuel and chaincase was just serviced (looks fine with new fluid)

this knocking is very discomforting as i really dont want it to blow.

do any dooers out there know what this is???
Hey guys.. sorry for the old thread bump.. but still haven't found a solution to this.. thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts