Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both a '14 1200 Gsx Se and just picked up a' 16 Mxz Blizzard 900 with 150 miles on it and like everyone says "for the wife" but then they go and clutch for increased performance. This one is just as much for me as it is for her.
I was able to do a 200 mile run on the 900.
I have read all the build threads and no one seems to mention engine braking, which on the 900 is basically non existent compared to the 1200.
I'm hitting 7200rpm and have seen 94 on the dream meter. I have new springs on order and will be doing the clutch mods in the fall.
Question is, will these clutch mods increase the engine braking. I really like how the 1200 braking is and would like to see similar results on the 900.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I have not ridden a 1200 so I can't give you a direct comparison but......

I have a '16 900 Blizzard and just did BAR549's primary and secondary clutch kit right before the start of this season. Unfortunatelty, I didn't ride it this season before the upgrade and its hard to remember from last seaon but I thought the engine braking was pretty decent with the clutch kit installed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps, that's a better way to ask.

Does changing the spring from stock secondary to the preferred Dalton DPSS BYG spring increase engine breaking?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Perhaps, that's a better way to ask.

Does changing the spring from stock secondary to the preferred Dalton DPSS BYG spring increase engine breaking?
That is a good question. The spring in the BAR549 Clutch Kit was a torsion spring like the stock spring. The Dalton is a compression spring. What I can't answer is how the torsion versus the compression spring behave when the compression rates are similar / the same.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I cant answer your questions about stock 1200 vers stock 900. I might ride it for a day before i start doing some sping work in the clutches. I know you can make both better. However the 1200 will always seem to have a touch more. Now you can make the 900 lots better than what it comes from Doo. I do enjoy more engine braking than most.

Reactions: ProAngler

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not too concerned about the 1200, I was only using it as a benchmark.
I prefer more engine breaking, thought the 900 would be similar to the 1200. I had a Yamaha Sr Viper, it's engine breaking was similar to the 1200. The 900 not so much, on the trails found myself using brake considerably more frequently. Something I'm not really used to.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a 1200 and have currently Dalton tan/silver in primary along with yellow /green in secondary and set to 21lbs. It is awesome all around. I love engine braking and this is great. Bar549 has commented in another thread that I have mentioned this and says this is a great setting for this setup and I do agree fully. I know it is not a 900 but works real good in my 1200. 2400kms on this setup and hope to add another 1000 before the end of the weekend.

·
boost junkie
10,561 Posts
the 900 and 1200 can use the same clutching

that is how they come from the factory

I would just run lighter flyweights on the 900

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a '16 900 Blizzard and just did BAR549's primary and secondary clutch kit right before the start of this season. Unfortunatelty, I didn't ride it this season before the upgrade and its hard to remember from last seaon but I thought the engine braking was pretty decent with the clutch kit installed.
Hi Judge64

What are your thoughts on the Bar549 clutch mods now that you have performed them?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Hi Judge64

What are your thoughts on the Bar549 clutch mods now that you have performed them?
I am very impressed with Bar's setup. The stock primary spring when new can top out at 7200 but in less than 1000 miels the spring is sacked and top RPM is about 6800. I installed the stock 1200 Edrive II spring and it would do better.

Bar's kit with the lighter ramps and spring got the top RPM up around 7800-7900 and it has been holding there. The secondary spring does ane xcellent job as well.

I've messed around with the Cudney PB80 for the 900 but Bar's kit is a really nice setup for the stock eDrive and QRS. The only other thing I did was install DooDoctor;s Float Plug for the 900.

I've lost a little fuel economy but as far as I'm concerned I have the sled right where I want it.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
the 900 and 1200 can use the same clutching

that is how they come from the factory

I would just run lighter flyweights on the 900
The 1200 uses the same ramps but uses a different primary spring in the eDrive II and a different spring in the secondary from the factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have both a '14 1200 Gsx Se and just picked up a' 16 Mxz Blizzard 900 with 150 miles on it and like everyone says "for the wife" but then they go and clutch for increased performance. This one is just as much for me as it is for her.
150 miles? Awesome! I found a 600 mile Blizzard 900 a few days ago in mint shape. I have a buddy who has been riding my wife's 900 a few times a year and told him if he doesn't buy the Blizzard I will buy it and charge him $250 a day to ride it. He is buying it for $6800 which I think was a hell of a deal. I thought it might be the lowest mile 900 Blizzard left but you got it beat with 150.

In my opinion, this is the best 900 Ace made to date. 129 tunnel, pre-studded Ice Ripper, Spring order gauge, better clutch parts, shocks rebuildable all the way around, TS skis (never tried them).

I bought a 1200 for me and 900 for her and once I rode her sled through the woods I knew the 1200 was a goner...

·
boost junkie
10,561 Posts
some years use different springs and some years use the same

they use the same flyweights and that is dumb

the 749s are way too heavy for a 900

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
^^^ There were a couple years they used the same secondary spring but the e-Drive II spring has always been different between the 900 and 1200.

Not a stupid design ...... the 900 was originally intriduced as a sled that was very reliable, great fuel economy and comfortable to ride. That was the objective and Doo was right on the mark.

It was only until 4-stroke sales started to really climb that they took the 900 to the next level by introducing the 900T. If people want to get more out of a 900, it is faily easy to do with some clutching but many are happy with the stock setup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
150 miles? Awesome! I found a 600 mile Blizzard 900 a few days ago in mint shape. I have a buddy who has been riding my wife's 900 a few times a year and told him if he doesn't buy the Blizzard I will buy it and charge him $250 a day to ride it. He is buying it for $6800 which I think was a hell of a deal. I thought it might be the lowest mile 900 Blizzard left but you got it beat with 150.

In my opinion, this is the best 900 Ace made to date. 129 tunnel, pre-studded Ice Ripper, Spring order gauge, better clutch parts, shocks rebuildable all the way around, TS skis (never tried them).

I bought a 1200 for me and 900 for her and once I rode her sled through the woods I knew the 1200 was a goner...
6800,that's a good deal. Mine was slightly more but a lot less than a similarly equipped new one.
The 900 is a nice option for a second sled, but my 1200 is going no where.
I'm just hoping the clutching on the 900 when complete, will yield the results I'm hoping for. Particularly increased engine braking on the trails coming into a corner and increased acceleration out.
Going to be a long summer and fall waiting to get out on the snow to test.
I created the thread looking for someones real world results to satisfy my curiosities.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

I picked up a left-over 2016 Blizzard 900 in April 2018 after they dropped the 900 in the 129 and got it for $7500 OTD. You are guys are doing very good picking up these low mileage sleds for a good price right now.

If you look at the Blizzard 900 and the ice Ripper Track, Premium Cluster, Rebuildable Shocks and TS skis, the sled is every bit as good as a current MXZ X that is selling between $12,500 and $14,000 OTD. Yea.... I know its the latest G4 chassis and RAS X stuff but side-by-side there is not $5K - $6K in difference between the 2022 X and these sleds.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
That's a good thing, it doubles my testing capacity.
If you want to use up a lot of time, test the 1200 set up on your 900. There are way better options than that.

I would start by using the PB 80, and get a couple of springs for it. Turn it up to 8000

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
If you want to use up a lot of time, test the 1200 set up on your 900. There are way better options than that.
I would start by using the PB 80, and get a couple of springs for it. Turn it up to 8000
I've tested the Cudney PB80 for the 900 and Bar549's updates to the eDrive II. Bar's updates (a gram off the ramps) and the Goodwin Performance spring make the eDrive II every bit as good as the PB80..... based on my testing.

The biggest difference is Bar's setup doesn't impact the engagement RPM's as much as the Cudney PB80 but it can still hit 7900 with no problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts