Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, as well as others, are missing the so called engine braking on the 1200.

Can someone give me a discription as to what caused it, and can we get it back on the 2016?

Really miss it, but could probably live without it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Riding railway beds is not a big deal without it, but running the twisties is a huge factor to have it, on/off the throttle without using the brake.

So, the primary is the biggest factor in this? Helix in the secondary?

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
I think the steep helix with compression spring is the biggest factor. However i also think the 2016 ECU has abit there too, I know when I throttle chop mine in sport mode, the Engine holds for a split second....could just be a ITc difference in feeling? But it may be ECU tuned to reduce some engine braking. hard to say.

But it seems the clutching is biggest factor due to guys who are already running pB80s with Bills secondary setup....the silver spring is very long/high finish rate on driven.

Dan

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got use to having it and relied on it for braking too. I love the way the new sled works but realized on the way home after the first run that the engine braking has all but disappeared.

maybe it was an option and I should have ordered it when I snow checked the sled..lol

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the steep helix with compression spring is the biggest factor. However i also think the 2016 ECU has abit there too, I know when I throttle chop mine in sport mode, the Engine holds for a split second....could just be a ITc difference in feeling? But it may be ECU tuned to reduce some engine braking. hard to say.

But it seems the clutching is biggest factor due to guys who are already running pB80s with Bills secondary setup....the silver spring is very long/high finish rate on driven.

Dan
I am with you on the ECU Dan. If I remember correctly, there was talk of people on pre ITC sleds wanting to get rid of the braking, but could not completely with clutch changes.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts

Dan
I would think the high idle in sport mode may be part of it.

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
I would think the high idle in sport mode may be part of it.
true the idle is higher for sure in sport......and I was ripping around a field, with little room for shutdown...WOT to throttle chop, and it got alittle hairy! The iTC does not shut down as quick as I would like....not sure if its just iTC or built into ECU for brake reduction?

Dan

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So old sleds have throttle lag and new sleds have ITC delay. It never ends...
We will see how long it takes for the Lester's to find out.

Reactions: XcellR8 and SBT

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts
Probably took some out of the ECU. You can gain it back with a change of the secondary spring by either adding in a compression type of spring or going with a higher forced torsional one.

-grover

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
The Bozo brothers already did a review and said that throttle lag was improved ( but did not say it was gone).

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Probably took some out of the ECU. You can gain it back with a change of the secondary spring by either adding in a compression type of spring or going with a higher forced torsional one.

-grover
So, I assume changing these items to gain breaking, could deffinately change acceleration and add lag? I love the stock setup for "Sport mode" acceleration on my new sled.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't have one, but if it's the sport mode tune, it should be pretty easy to put the sled in one of the other modes and see if your braking comes back (or significantly changes).

If the engine braking is not there in Sport mode, but is there (or you have more of it) in other modes, then you know it's something in the ECU with Sport mode. If not, it's probably all (or mostly) clutching.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts