Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a way to eliminate the sway bar while not cutting it or removing it. I think there is a difference in how the sway bar is held in place on the 05 compared to the 04. The 05's sway bar is only held on via two external clamps, near the a-arms and the blocks that are bolted directly onto the lower a-arm. The 04 Gade may have clamps inside on the frame as well as the external clamps.

1: remove the external clamps that hold the sway bar
2: remove the blocks on the lower a-arm
3: remove the sleeves on the sway bar by putting a wrench that just fits the width of the sway bar and tapping the sleeves off with a hammer.
4: unfasten the steering rods to both spindles - at the spindles
5: (standing in front of the sled) unfasten the left top a-arm so that you can swing that arm up. There are two connections, one is a pressed in bushing (sitting vertical ) that cannot be easily removed the other is a horizontal bolt that goes through the a-arm...back the nut off horizontal connector and release the upper a-arm. You don't need to mess with the vertical connection.

Now, slide the sway bar back and forth and pull it so that the ends of the sway bar are pointing up. You can get it past the lower a-arm on the both sides, but getting it past the shock and upper a-arm requires one side of the upper a-arm to be released. Work the sway bar so that the ends of it are pointing up and can be swung up against the body of the sled.

I then put the clamps back on that hold the sway bar in place and then held the sway bar against the sled and drilled a small hole on each side of the sway bar ends. I then put zip ties through the holes and around the sway bar. Pull them tight and clip off the ends. The sway bar is held up and out of the way of the a-arms.

put the left a-arm back together and re-attach the steering rods.

No more sway bar. I will keep the blocks with me and extra zip ties, just in case I want to put it back on. I would say it is a 15 minute or less job once you do it the first time.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I don't know about the 04's, but I'm pretty sure the 03's and the 05's are the same, just have to unbolt the brackets holding the bar to the chassis (2 bolts each side), unbolt the slider thingies on the a-arms, then pull the bar out, with a little bit of stick handling involved. Not really that big a deal. Or am I wrong? Just wondering because I've got an 03 setup to bolt on my 05, when I get around to it, and this is pretty much what the 03 manual said.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After I had removed the clamps and the blocks on my 05, I tried to remove the sway bar. from what I could see, two things two things kept it from coming out. First, I have a full skid plate and a grill kit that are each riveted on and would be a hassle to drill out everytime I wanted to change the setup. Second, there is a small bolt that is in the frame, but sits directly above the sway bar. That bolt would have to come out in order for there to be any play to swing the sway bar out between the tight angles where the sway bar sits. To completely remove the sway bar I would have to drill out the rivets on the skid plate and grill kit and then remove that bolt, which may or may not require me to remove my muffler pipe. The way I did it was amazingly easy. Plus, leaving the sway bar on the sled and carrying the blocks gives me the option of putting it back on within 15 minutes trail side. A great option for days in the mountains when the heavy clouds roll in and ruin off trail visability.

(I will post a picture)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
OK, guess I've got more to think about. I'll find out for sure when I try to thread the bar thru, whenever I get around to that.
Got a pic of your disabled bar?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rev me up said:
There is a way to eliminate the sway bar while not cutting it or removing it. I think there is a difference in how the sway bar is held in place on the 05 compared to the 04. The 05's sway bar is only held on via two external clamps, near the a-arms and the blocks that are bolted directly onto the lower a-arm. The 04 Gade may have clamps inside on the frame as well as the external clamps.

1: remove the external clamps that hold the sway bar
2: remove the blocks on the lower a-arm
3: remove the sleeves on the sway bar by putting a wrench that just fits the width of the sway bar and tapping the sleeves off with a hammer.
4: unfasten the steering rods to both spindles - at the spindles
5: (standing in front of the sled) unfasten the left top a-arm so that you can swing that arm up. There are two connections, one is a pressed in bushing (sitting vertical ) that cannot be easily removed the other is a horizontal bolt that goes through the a-arm...back the nut off horizontal connector and release the upper a-arm. You don't need to mess with the vertical connection.

Now, slide the sway bar back and forth and pull it so that the ends of the sway bar are pointing up. You can get it past the lower a-arm on the both sides, but getting it past the shock and upper a-arm requires one side of the upper a-arm to be released. Work the sway bar so that the ends of it are pointing up and can be swung up against the body of the sled.

I then put the clamps back on that hold the sway bar in place and then held the sway bar against the sled and drilled a small hole on each side of the sway bar ends. I then put zip ties through the holes and around the sway bar. Pull them tight and clip off the ends. The sway bar is held up and out of the way of the a-arms.

put the left a-arm back together and re-attach the steering rods.

No more sway bar. I will keep the blocks with me and extra zip ties, just in case I want to put it back on. I would say it is a 15 minute or less job once you do it the first time.
[snapback]279093[/snapback]​
Thanks--I was thinking that was a possibilty when i had a good look at it but i just thought i would check as it did seem i would have to remove other things-now i know which other things!!Great

1 - 6 of 6 Posts