Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put stiffer springs in the sled last night. 503-189-992 and 503-189-994. they are 11.1 and 73*. On the softest setting they act like the stock spring on the stiffest setting. I recommend these for anyone that is over 200#. I am 210 and on the softest setting the coupler blocks sit where they are supposed to, right in the middle. I haven't had a chance to try it out on the bumps yet but I can tell that it will NOT act like a bucking bronco on the trails. Another thing. If I were to put these on the stiffest setting, I bet I could jump the sled off the roof without it bottoming..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock was square

the new ones are round.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,339 Posts
Hope it works well for you, personally I am 220lbs and the rears springs are not an issue because I am riding on the center shock. As long as the rear shocks are fresh and fully charged the sag is a non issue, everyone is just freaking out about because on the zx chassis it was important.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeb, this is a case of " If you have nothing better to do" belive me, If there were snow to be ridden on..........none of this would be happening..
 

·
Big Member
Joined
·
984 Posts
Why didn't you go with the BRP recommended stiffer springs for your sled? Just wondering because the recommended stiffer springs on the spring chart have the same 11.11 wire diameter as the ones you installed but also have the same 80 degree open angle as the stock springs where as yours are 73 degrees. I am thinking about swapping mine out because I’m about 260 and I will be using a 1+1 from time to time so I’m curious as to why you changed the open angle instead of just the wire diameter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did this on recommendation from another member that helped me out with my shocks. I went with a thicker diamater wire and also increased the preload a little to be sure that they would be stiffer. If you are 260 I would recommend these springs for sure. I am 210 and it feels "just right" on the (softest) setting now, As before it felt (soft) on the stiffest setting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
BARBARIAN-X said:
Why didn't you go with the BRP recommended stiffer springs for your sled? Just wondering because the recommended stiffer springs on the spring chart have the same 11.11 wire diameter as the ones you installed but also have the same 80 degree open angle as the stock springs where as yours are 73 degrees. I am thinking about swapping mine out because I'm about 260 and I will be using a 1+1 from time to time so I'm curious as to why you changed the open angle instead of just the wire diameter.
[snapback]265265[/snapback]​
The "Optional" heavier sprrings doo lists are the 2up sled springs. They are really stiff. I know some guys like a stiff setup, but I only weigh 160Lbs and those were WAY too stiff for me. On the softest setting all I got was chatter and springboard bouncing. I couldn't even flex them enough to hardely move them.
They'd work good for a big guy though for sure.

Theres a great post on here currentely talking all about this spring stuff, check it out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, 160 pound rider and these springs will not be to your benefit. What thread are you refering to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
saltalarev said:
I agree, 160 pound rider and these springs will not be to your benefit. What thread are you refering to?
[snapback]265374[/snapback]​
Do a search on Torsion Springs...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absopure said:
saltalarev said:
I agree, 160 pound rider and these springs will not be to your benefit. What thread are you refering to?
[snapback]265374[/snapback]​
Do a search on Torsion Springs...
[snapback]265452[/snapback]​
well, I would but I am sure about 100 posts will pop up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
saltalarev said:
I agree, 160 pound rider and these springs will not be to your benefit. What thread are you refering to?
[snapback]265374[/snapback]​
Tweeners "lesson is torsion springs".
Its still active on here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
My dealer put a set off an 03 BM on mine last year after replacing the originals and it being no better. Last weekend was the first trip out with them, i set them to 3rd stiffest (I ran last years full stiff and bottomed all the time) Alot stiffer than last year, too stiff, never bottomed but beat the sh&% out of me on rough trails, have to crank them down a bit for sure. they're round stock compared to the square garbage that comes on the Trail models. I go about 175 before gear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
saltalarev said:
I put stiffer springs in the sled last night. 503-189-992 and 503-189-994. they are 11.1 and 73*. On the softest setting they act like the stock spring on the stiffest setting. I recommend these for anyone that is over 200#. I am 210 and on the softest setting the coupler blocks sit where they are supposed to, right in the middle. I haven't had a chance to try it out on the bumps yet but I can tell that it will NOT act like a bucking bronco on the trails. Another thing. If I were to put these on the stiffest setting, I bet I could jump the sled off the roof without it bottoming..
[snapback]264965[/snapback]​
did youo change the front coil over shock spring too or just the rear springs. i have a 1+1 gsx and the 1+1 springs are not stiff enough for two 200 lb riders so i wanted to put heavier springs in and the dealer sai i could'nt change the rears without changing the front coil spring over the shock...which i did and now the front spring is way to stiff for me. like a buckboard now so i have to remove the front spring and put the stock one back in and see how that goes.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top