Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with an electrical problem on a 94 Formula STX 583cc.

Everything was working fine before lending the machine to a buddy.

None of the lights work. The headlight does not work on high or low beam, the tail or brake light does not work, the instruments back lights are not working and the thumb warmer and hot grips have stopped working as well.

The machine has electric start that is still working and it will fire and run fine.
Any ideas of what the problem is??

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
is the battery holding a charge???you may have a bad voltage regulator..check the connection on it, as well as other connections in sight. did hey say how/when it happened??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 94 STX and lost my lights. I found a burnt wire connector. You could not tell by looking at it. It was on the chain case side just back from the motor,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shawman20 said:
Sounds like it could be a simple blown fuse. Or maybe a short some where but I would look for fuses first.
[snapback]698076[/snapback]​
I check the 30amp fuse on the left side just behind the key. It was fine. Where are the other fuses??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iansmxz said:
is the battery holding a charge???you may have a bad voltage regulator..check the connection on it, as well as other connections in sight. did hey say how/when it happened??
[snapback]698150[/snapback]​
Yes the battery is holding a charge.
I have not got the details from my buddy yet on when/how it happened.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great question....I have the same problem on my wife's 99 Touring SLE. It started with a dead battery. When I replaced the battery, it started, but no lights, hand warmers, etc. I did notice that when I turned off the machine, the lights would flicker. When I disconnect the ignition switch, the machine runs, lights and handwarmers work. I figured it must be the switch, so I bought a new ignition switch, same problem - starter works fine, but no lights or handwarmers. So I have unplugged the ignition, just have to pull start. Waiting for someone to point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
831 Posts
MNDood - Your problem is an AC short circuit to ground. Seen it, found it, fixed it. My issue wasthe temp sender on top of the head.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
500ss man said:
If I`m correct doesn`t a relay control all those functions!
[snapback]698162[/snapback]​
I'm not that much of a techie, where is the relay control and how would I test it?
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
700GSE said:
Look for chaffed (sp?) and/or crushed wiring - shorting out. Maybe a broken wire also.
[snapback]700195[/snapback]​
Thanks for all the response.
What is a "chaffed (sp?)"

I know what a short is and just hate finding them but this chaffed thing is interesting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
700GSE said:
MNDood - Your problem is an AC short circuit to ground. Seen it, found it, fixed it. My issue wasthe temp sender on top of the head.
[snapback]702396[/snapback]​
For the past few years I have always had grease come out of the opposing hole on the plastic gearing at the back of the Speedo. I live in Belleville, Ontario, Canada and have my Speedo on the kms side. Grease always comes out of the other side. I regularly grease the bearing of the front drive, on the left where the Speedo hooks in. I just assumed that it was extra grease coming up the cable and out the hole. When it does come out it lands on the temperature sensors (I clean it up as soon as I notice it). The machine has an electric temperature gauge that is always working.
Could this grease landing on the temperature sensors caused a short or other problem??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rest of my story!

The company I work for has sent me to Brazil from January to May this year. I'm trying to diagnose this from Sao Paulo Brazil. I told my buddies that they could use my 94 STX but I did tell them not to touch my 04-600HO Gade. I did feel guiltily about that but I have had my share of problems lending my equipment out. I thought that the STX was all they needed. Besides that I'm in Brazil and will miss an entire SKI-DOO season. YES, it was a tough decision but when I'm on the beaches here looking at all the beautiful
scenery
the snow is far, far away…………..(I did bring all of my snowmobile magazines with me to read on the beach).
Lets get back on topic. I'm back in Canada for two days a month (NO I can not go snowmobiling) the divorce lawyers would be all over me, but I did manage to start the STX on the weekend and all said is true. (I'm now writing this from Brazil).
The point of all this is to be patient with my responses as the connection speed at my flat in Brazil sucks.
Oh, by the way, beer is 50 cents Canadian and vodka is only $4.00 for a 24oz.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Swampy,

No, the grease won't cause a wire to short circuit since it's a poor conductor. Chaffing is when a wire rubs on something and the insulation (outer coating on the wire) wears off and the actual wire is exposed. This is bad, and will cause a short circuit if the now exposed wire touches anything that conducts electricity--metal being a prime suspect. This type of malfunction can be tricky to troubleshoot because engine vibration can cause the faults to be intermittent; say the wire shorts, vibration moves the wire away from the conductive object, ect. There is your basic electricity lesson for the day.

P.S. A relay is an electrical "transfer device" meaning it's similar to a switch in the sense it routes current to a pre-determined component (s) but it's actuated by a coil, and can contain numerous contacts to operate numerous different accessories. A common method to control actuation (current to the coil or ground potential) of relay's is thru switches. At this point I'm sure it's as clear as pea soup! Didn't mean to steal the thread, trying to help. Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks mbret2004,

No, the grease won't cause a wire to short circuit since it's a poor conductor. Chaffing is when a wire rubs on something and the insulation (outer coating on the wire) wears off and the actual wire is exposed. This is bad, and will cause a short circuit if the now exposed wire touches anything that conducts electricity--metal being a prime suspect. This type of malfunction can be tricky to troubleshoot because engine vibration can cause the faults to be intermittent; say the wire shorts, vibration moves the wire away from the conductive object, ect. There is your basic electricity lesson for the day.

Yes, I have troubleshot short circuits before and by the sounds of it I will be doing it again.
Any suggestions on where to start?
Thanks for your great explanation.

P.S. A relay is an electrical "transfer device" meaning it's similar to a switch in the sense it routes current to a pre-determined component (s) but it's actuated by a coil, and can contain numerous contacts to operate numerous different accessories. A common method to control actuation (current to the coil or ground potential) of relay's is thru switches. At this point I'm sure it's as clear as pea soup! Didn't mean to steal the thread, trying to help. Mike

This one is as clear as pea soup, I think I get your meaning (really). I guess I've had one two many beers for this explanation. Lets keep it simple. Do you think I need a new relay?

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
If I had a wiring diagram, I could tell you exactly what to do, since I don't it's hard to say. See if there is a duplicate relay on the sled, and swap them. See what happens. If not, keep the suspected bad relay installed in it's original spot, take a screwdriver and lightly tap the relay housing with the handle. That might unstick the contacts. Let me know what happens. The bad thing about buying a relay is there is no return on electrical items, and I believe they will rape you for one.

P.S. Have a few cold ones for me! Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts