Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Trucks won't be useful either with battery power. But yes they will build junk electric trucks to park next to the junk electric cars. Lol.

No real worker will ever want an electric work truck. I can't even believe anyone that's ever worked and understands deadlines and need for power to move trailers or equipment or plow snow would even contemplate using this electric crap that's being produced to get anything done

Not in our lifetime. You can say how great it is and lie to yourself if you want but when it's all said and done real
Great ideas catch on by themselves and don't need to be propped up by the government

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
While I think electric vehicles are a good idea, and I hope they work out for a lot of applications, the whole situation with the environment puzzles me. I see headlines daily on climate change and reducing emissions across he world, yet things are going on every day that are detrimental and government just turns a blind eye or passes the responsibility to another level or department. As I mentioned in another thread, forests are being clear cut here regularly and there is zero, zero replanting done. No one cares, or makes the link between the filtering and oxygen producing effect of these trees. We lose all that, thats OK but we need to have electric vehicles to reduce emissions, pretty soon the only way we will be allowed to heat our homes will be electric, even propane is being shunned.

After a long legal battle, a company here has been given the go ahead to build a huge cement plant. Our local council and closest neighbouring township voted against it, but other municipalities in our group of "united counties" that are far enough away to not be affected voted for it, based solely on the economic benefit . This plant will have a 450 foot stack that will emit "acceptable" levels of pollution ( when things are working as they should - we all know dust collectors, filters do not always work as they should and sometimes run for days before being fixed). This plant is also located along the Ottawa river, will use pet-coal as a fuel and put 200 heavy trucks on the road daily(which alone will bring a lot of exhaust emissions into the air) not to mention other factors. From want I understand all the product will be going to the port and sent to Europe. Sure, there may be some financial gain to be had by employment and taxes collected, but at what cost? Pet coal - really? Can't be much carbon footprint there.

Just to say it boggles my mind how we can be talking so much about climate change and the environment, and still allow new polluting industries to set up, and allow the loss of so much forest with zero replanting. Its all about money.

I guess I take some solace in the electric push, atleast it should help some to offset things with the issues they should be looking at. It's like getting surgery on the left hand while you are getting the right one hacked off, or cleaning up pollution in one lake while you continue to dump in another, atleast you are doing something good I suppose.

·
Premium Member
27,922 Posts
Most pickups that I see on the roads have no load, no trailer and no snow plow. Coal is the way roll.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any opinions on safe nuclear power plants to power electric vehicles? Just have to bury the plutonium. I watched a special on TV a few years ago. One "safe" method was to put a giant water tower over the reactor. Anything goes wrong, the water tower dumps on the reactor. No pumps needed; just need gravity to not quit working. I haven't read up on this, so I can't really give a good argument one way or another.

Technology always takes time to reach the masses. Not sure how long it took for black and white TVs to go away. I remember digital cameras coming out with their 1MB resolution pictures that looked like crap. Now look where cameras are. No doubt electric vehicles will take longer, and it depends on a clean, safe, inexpensive power source, which doesn't exist today. I personally wouldn't get an electric vehicle today, but would in the future when they are actually green; from production, use, to recycling.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Perhaps someday there will be wireless induction chargers in the expressways and rural highways charging our vehicles as we travel, all powered by nuclear fusion power plants. Safe green power, and no range of miles issue.

Reactions: skof

·
Super Moderator
29,357 Posts
^^^ That'll never happen - not enough $$$ to be made!

As fir the nuke question, absolutely, bring it on. Done right nukes can offer the safest, cleanest power around.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Most pickups that I see on the roads have no load, no trailer and no snow plow. Coal is the way roll.
After 2021 most people will not have the means to purchase a diesel truck with the new Canadian luxury tax, BC will have it even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tugnut

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
and it will get a lot worse .
I Agree, I do not see the recreational industry surviving this new trend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
More on the "we have a long way to go", this time from actual now former owners...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-5-electric-vehicle-owners-164149467.html
The article says 70% of people who bought an EV didn't have access to a level 2 or better charger. You would have to be a complete idiot to buy an EV with no access to a level 2 or better charger. It literally takes days to charge on a standard outlet. That would be like buying a ICE vehicle with not gas stations within 100 miles. Who are these people the article is referencing? Just doesn't make sense but it is yahoo news...

·
Super Moderator
29,357 Posts
The article says 70% of people who bought an EV didn't have access to a level 2 or better charger. You would have to be a complete idiot to buy an EV with no access to a level 2 or better charger. It literally takes days to charge on a standard outlet. That would be like buying a ICE vehicle with not gas stations within 100 miles. Who are these people the article is referencing? Just doesn't make sense but it is yahoo news...
Agreed - uninformed customer, over zealous salesperson, or a combination of both?

For clarification, the article originally came from Business Insider, Yahoo news was just reposting it.

My son-in-laws father just leased a new electric car. He was laughing about the "free use of chargers" that come the lease. The car has "up to" a 250 mile range, the nearest "free" charger is 50 miles away. (The salesman is a friend if his, he said 200 miles was far more realistic)

Needless to say we have a long way to go.

He did say it was a nice car and fun to drive, I'll get a chance to drive it sometime in the fairly near future.

·
Super Moderator
29,357 Posts
On a side note, the garbage truck picked up the neighbors trash today; it was thinking that might be a good application for electric. Short range, lots of stop and go.

·
Premium Member
27,922 Posts
Agreed - uninformed customer, over zealous salesperson, or a combination of both?

For clarification, the article originally came from Business Insider, Yahoo news was just reposting it.

My son-in-laws father just leased a new electric car. He was laughing about the "free use of chargers" that come the lease. The car has "up to" a 250 mile range, the nearest "free" charger is 50 miles away. (The salesman is a friend if his, he said 200 miles was far more realistic)

Needless to say we have a long way to go.

He did say it was a nice car and fun to drive, I'll get a chance to drive it sometime in the fairly near future.
I have no doubt there is a long way to go. I am confident that 50% of autos could easily run on electric alone. Perhaps even 50% of pickup trucks, who knows. I do know that I could do everything I needed with an electric car even at -30C with the longest rides, and I live in the country. I figure that I could even get away with charging a car with a 120 Vac outlet. So instead of thinking everybody needs to change, why not say at least 10% of ICE cars should change to electric in the near future? And maybe another 10% in the not so distant future? Within 10 to 15 years, why not have near 50%?

What I don't get is why do we need to think of a radical change that gets everyone upset when the technology can only accept a slow but constant change in the fist place? The way I see it many would benefit, especially the smog filled metros. Getting stuck in Montreal traffic within a cloud of emissions is not my idea of a good time.

·
Premium Member
27,922 Posts
Has anyone done a google image view of <emissions from satellite view>? Electric cars and how to produce the electricity to charge them is the least of my worries when it comes to technological advance. I suggest putting all the effort against EV into the far more pressing matters.

·
Super Moderator
29,357 Posts
I have no doubt there is a long way to go. I am confident that 50% of autos could easily run on electric alone. Perhaps even 50% of pickup trucks, who knows. I do know that I could do everything I needed with an electric car even at -30C with the longest rides, and I live in the country. I figure that I could even get away with charging a car with a 120 Vac outlet. So instead of thinking everybody needs to change, why not say at least 10% of ICE cars should change to electric in the near future? And maybe another 10% in the not so distant future? Within 10 to 15 years, why not have near 50%?

What I don't get is why do we need to think of a radical change that gets everyone upset when the technology can only accept a slow but constant change in the fist place? The way I see it many would benefit, especially the smog filled metros. Getting stuck in Montreal traffic within a cloud of emissions is not my idea of a good time.
I agree with this 100%.

The reason we are thinking about it as a radical change is that is how it's being driven. Look how many states are banning the sale of ICE vehicles in the not-to-distant future. Look how many manufacturers have announced they will no longer build ICE vehicles by 2035, or sooner. Its coming FAST.

Also, keep in mind if these manufacturers have decided they're no longer going to build ICE vehicles by then they're going to stop the R&D on them much sooner.

Good timing - the news just said "coming up, see what President Biden is doing today and what effect it will have on the future of cars".

Lets see what it actually is before jumping to conclusions.

**Update** It was, as with most things on the news today, basically nothing. Hes going to the Ford plant where they're building the electric stuff, including the new Lightning truck.

Reactions: Daag44
41 - 60 of 386 Posts