Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
341 - 360 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
The Lightning is the first EV that has my attention. Then again since I've retired I don't need the 700 mile range (you read that right) of my F150 EB.

Range on my Super Duty varies a bunch, as 95% of it's miles are truly work miles. Last week it was towing my dump trailer with over 4 ton of stone. Could my F150 have pulled the same load? On paper sure it could have, the SD just does it without drama. Even with the SD I needed 4 wheel drive coming out of the quarry, it's a pretty steep climb.
I like the lightening but would like it a lot more if the range was 400 miles.

Reactions: MX-Z Man

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts
My brother and I were talking about EVs today when a question came up; what happens when you come home with an "empty" EV that needs an 8 hour change and then a family emergency hits and you need the car?
He had a family medical deal today, which is what brought up the question. It's a real world situation that really is an issue with an EV.
Not a problem with an ICE...

Reactions: Caper11

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Thats one issue. Even though batteries for cordless tools have become so much better, one can still get caught half way through a job and the battery dies, so you have to wait. Yes I know, spare batteries etc. but it can still be an issue. Same will happen with electric cars. Either through poor planning or unforeseen circumstances, an out of service charging station on your road trip etc. stuff will happen.

Another issue brought up is what about people living in the city with no yard, and park on the sidewalk? How are they supposed to charge, maybe their work has charging maybe not, they will have to go to a charging station somewhere but oh it just sounds like a PITA. I think as Dagg mentioned the plug in hybrid sounds like the best option, something with a back up. Unless they develop some other kind of self charging electric, why not a roof with a built in solar panel? Here’s an emergency back up plan Blink Introduces Portable, Mobile EV Charger for Roadside Use Carry a generator in your trunk, oh wait, that burns gas.

I could see myself happy adjusting to a plug in hybrid. Otherwise, my 400 mile range electric that drops to 200 mile range in the deep cold of winter, and as battery degrades after a few years drops to 150 and I am stuck in traffic due to an accident on the 40 on a Friday afternoon in January? Doesn’t sound very practical for me.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
For everyone that is worried about not having the mileage to make it out snowmobiling in an electric vehicle some day a decade or more from now...... how do you think you are going to pull a trailer with this ?
By the time we really need to worry about having an EV forced upon you, you'll be seeing these things around.

The link does not seem to want to work here. If someone knows how to fix it, the post is on the Blackfly flying car at the Oshkosh Airshow next week.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daag44

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
For everyone that is worried about not having the mileage to make it out snowmobiling in an electric vehicle some day a decade or more from now...... how do you think you are going to pull a trailer with this ?
By the time we really need to worry about having an EV forced upon you, you'll be seeing these things around.

The link does not seem to want to work here. If someone knows how to fix it, the post is on the Blackfly flying car at the Oshkosh Airshow next week.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Is this a tech from 2018? If so I linked a YouTube video below. I don't follow the aviation too closely other than what I see posted on DooTalk or what I get on my YouToube feed, so I don't much about this. However, I have wondered what can be expected from the from the advancement in aviation by the elusive 2035 date. There is no doubt that aviation as a whole are pushing hard to show the future with the like of The Jetsons. To be honest, I thought this was improbable until I began to see an increasing number of YouTube videos showing areal shots with drones. While folks worry about EVs, I have long been worrying about other things including drones and mobile phones. It is a question of perspective. I see EVs as an insignificant part of the future that us older generation will need to adjust for.

BlackFly Ultralight Attracts Attention in AirVenture's Innovation Showcase

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My brother and I were talking about EVs today when a question came up; what happens when you come home with an "empty" EV that needs an 8 hour change and then a family emergency hits and you need the car?
He had a family medical deal today, which is what brought up the question. It's a real world situation that really is an issue with an EV.
Not a problem with an ICE...
Or maybe what happens during a power outage. We had a power outage yesterday just before a major thunderstorm. The wife had to start thinking of getting the generator running just for a simple thing like a sump pump.

Maybe A gas generator running in the trunk of the EV. For emergency use only, lol
Same as a plug in hybrid, the engine starts up to charge the battery. Still need the hydrocarbons to make the dream work.
When supreme grade gas hit 2.00 a litre this winter who could afford to sled. Gotta love the carbon tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
That is my concern. With the push away from gas vehicles, natural gas heating and most surely even new high efficiency oil furnaces, I think fuel prices will just continue to rise until they are just not affordable to run.
I was speaking EVs with a group of guys the other day, one mentioned a sales rep or something that came to him was driving a Tesla, and that the cost of operating had dropped from somewhere around $1200 to under $200. Thats pretty impressive, I guess we can dislike change but not many can dislike saving money.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Is this a tech from 2018? If so I linked a YouTube video below. I don't follow the aviation too closely other than what I see posted on DooTalk or what I get on my YouToube feed, so I don't much about this. However, I have wondered what can be expected from the from the advancement in aviation by the elusive 2035 date. There is no doubt that aviation as a whole are pushing hard to show the future with the like of The Jetsons. To be honest, I thought this was improbable until I began to see an increasing number of YouTube videos showing areal shots with drones. While folks worry about EVs, I have long been worrying about other things including drones and mobile phones. It is a question of perspective. I see EVs as an insignificant part of the future that us older generation will need to adjust for.

BlackFly Ultralight Attracts Attention in AirVenture's Innovation Showcase
In 2018 the company "went public" at the Oshkosh air show after years of secretive development. This year they will be showing live test flights to the public for the first time at the same show. After a decade of R&D, and tens of thousands of hours of flight time, it will be on display in use next week.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: stevo9

·
Registered
937 Posts
That is my concern. With the push away from gas vehicles, natural gas heating and most surely even new high efficiency oil furnaces, I think fuel prices will just continue to rise until they are just not affordable to run.
I was speaking EVs with a group of guys the other day, one mentioned a sales rep or something that came to him was driving a Tesla, and that the cost of operating had dropped from somewhere around $1200 to under $200. Thats pretty impressive, I guess we can dislike change but not many can dislike saving money.
There are some people they already work great for. For others they simply don’t and there is no line of sight to that happening.
Couldn’t believe it when someone above said premium in Canada was $2 per liter. If my math is correct (unlikely), that makes it roughly $10 per gallon US.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Or maybe what happens during a power outage. We had a power outage yesterday just before a major thunderstorm. The wife had to start thinking of getting the generator running just for a simple thing like a sump pump.

Maybe A gas generator running in the trunk of the EV. For emergency use only, lol
Same as a plug in hybrid, the engine starts up to charge the battery. Still need the hydrocarbons to make the dream work.
When supreme grade gas hit 2.00 a litre this winter who could afford to sled. Gotta love the carbon tax.

In a power outage, you’re going to be able to power your house with your vehicle. I know the next question well what happens if you’re car isn’t charged. EVs will take a different approach than ICE vehicles in that the idea is to always return them to 80% charge (100% for a long drive). When you get home, you always plug it in. When you get to work, you plug it in. Stop for lunch, plug it in. With an ICE you wait to fill until it’s necessary. The idea with EV’s for them to be charging as often as possible when not in use so. You’ll have a full charge much more often than you would have a full tank of gas. If you go for a long drive and run the battery low, then come home to a power outage, obviously that is an issue, but it’s not like the gas station is pumping gas in an outage either. Just like an ICE, your options are more limited if you run them to empty.

Again, they simply don’t work for everyone. For many people, that works just fine. Make them compete with ICE rather than ban ICE.

Reactions: DGZRT and jcjc

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Right now super is around 1.45-1.50 here. Regular is around 1.25-1.30. I can see it steadily going up. The problem with all these increased costs is that a lot of people are not able to make any more to cover the increased cost to live, Obviously a lot of people have a lot of disposable income and its not a big deal as proved by the way people have been spending lately. For a lot of us though that are stuck in the middle times are kinda tough. Not rich enough to be comfortable yet not poor enough to be collecting benefits.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
In a power outage, you’re going to be able to power your house with your vehicle. I know the next question well what happens if you’re car isn’t charged. EVs will take a different approach than ICE vehicles in that the idea is to always return them to 80% charge (100% for a long drive). When you get home, you always plug it in. When you get to work, you plug it in. Stop for lunch, plug it in. With an ICE you wait to fill until it’s necessary. The idea with EV’s for them to be charging as often as possible when not in use so. You’ll have a full charge much more often than you would have a full tank of gas. If you go for a long drive and run the battery low, then come home to a power outage, obviously that is an issue, but it’s not like the gas station is pumping gas in an outage either. Just like an ICE, your options are more limited if you run them to empty.

Again, they simply don’t work for everyone. For many people, that works just fine. Make them compete with ICE rather than ban ICE.
That wont help, the original comment was, what would a person do in a emergency with a low battery on a EV.
I have about 60l of gas in my shed, I do not think I will have the ability to change out a dead battery.
I always have a full tank of gas, I stop for gas before I head home, everyone should especially in the winter. After being a part of a evacuation, I definitely know the importance of having a full tank of gas. You cannot rely on electricity.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I think for many of us, a plug in hybrid is about as far as we could safely go. They make sense to me. Full electric does not seem like it can fully take over unless they have some form of self sustainability. Of course, for many situations a full electric will be ideal.

·
Registered
937 Posts
That wont help, the original comment was, what would a person do in a emergency with a low battery on a EV.
I have about 60l of gas in my shed, I do not think I will have the ability to change out a dead battery.
I always have a full tank of gas, I stop for gas before I head home, everyone should especially in the winter. After being a part of a evacuation, I definitely know the importance of having a full tank of gas. You cannot rely on electricity.

Serious question. Do you really stop for gas every day before you go home? No judgement. Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Serious question. Do you really stop for gas every day before you go home? No judgement. Just wondering.
Yes, I do not work locally. 2hr commute one way when Im on shift. If I worked locally its a little excessive, if thats what you were thinking. In our geological location, its a long drive to the next town.
I always have at least one Vehicle (we have three) is full of fuel during the summer, during wildfire season, its usually my truck.
A person changes their thinking when faced with a emergency. I was in Fort Mac working during the fire.

Wintertime all of them are full, you don’t want moisture in your fuel tank from warm cold swings.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
I think for many of us, a plug in hybrid is about as far as we could safely go. They make sense to me. Full electric does not seem like it can fully take over unless they have some form of self sustainability. Of course, for many situations a full electric will be ideal.
I'm with you on a PHEV. The most difficult decision for me will be between a 600 E-TEC or a rotary. The only ban I want to see is on four strokes. Hail to the immortal two strokes! lol

This discussion has me seriously consider building our own PHEV. We won't have access to a rotary, so that leaves the E-TEC. For batteries we could use either FLA or AGM. Forget Lithium as this is about to be severely regulated.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
Yes, I do not work locally. 2hr commute one way when Im on shift. If I worked locally its a little excessive, if thats what you were thinking. In our geological location, its a long drive to the next town.
I always have at least one Vehicle (we have three) is full of fuel during the summer, during wildfire season, its usually my truck.
A person changes their thinking when faced with a emergency. I was in Fort Mac working during the fire.

Wintertime all of them are full, you don’t want moisture in your fuel tank from warm cold swings.

It is good to see the daily travels you make. Much appreciated. I for one would not vote to force anyone into an EV or even a PHEV. I think it would work for you sometime in the future, but again why vote to force someone when it is already on its way to being adopted by the masses? For all intent and purposes, if it is right for you then you will adopt it on your own.

Think of all the people who are or will be jumping on the EV bandwagon in the next few years. It will quickly drain the available resources to make the batteries. The amount of mining necessary to convert all cars to EV is surreal, not to mention how everyone is adopting Lithium for just about anything right down to a lawn mower. That in itself is a problem, and it's from consumer demand.

·
Registered
937 Posts
How neat would that be. It would address range concerns and the hassle of going out of your way to find a charging station and then waiting to charge. It would also reduce the need for huge batteries to provide range, which then add weight and reduce efficiency. Still doesn’t make EVs usable for everyone but would address a lot of shortcomings.

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
7,508 Posts
How neat would that be. It would address range concerns and the hassle of going out of your way to find a charging station and then waiting to charge. It would also reduce the need for huge batteries to provide range, which then add weight and reduce efficiency. Still doesn’t make EVs usable for everyone but would address a lot of shortcomings.
I can only imagine the new "infrastructure" tax that'll be required to fund this and similar projects. 🙄

It all sounds cool but someone's got to pay for it.

341 - 360 of 408 Posts