Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
301 - 320 of 408 Posts

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts
Interesting article....

Wait until they start adding in a road tax along with all the other fees and such and the added expenses as price of electricity keeps going up to pay for the green stuff. Going to be pricey and I'm sure just the start of it...

-grover

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
7,508 Posts
Wait until they start adding in a road tax along with all the other fees and such and the added expenses as price of electricity keeps going up to pay for the green stuff. Going to be pricey and I'm sure just the start of it...

-grover
For sure.

It's pretty easy to see where this is headed and it isn't good for any of us.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So what happens when you have a huge snow storm and a family gets stranded in there EV? Does the heat work ? Does anything work with out the electrical system ? This family now perish and we start lawsuits with the maker of the car company. Soon the car co is out of business and all that money spent is gone and we are no better off !! This is getting pushed on us form all sides for the purpose of making money for the rich ! We will be the Ginny pigs and they could care a less . Someone please find me an article explaining the safety of this in our snowy environment.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I had read an article recently about the percentage of people that had got EVs and gave them back and went back to gas.

The above comment by DGZRT is valid, we all know that anything with an element sucks power like crazy, if the heater relies on this it could be a factor. Do the given estimates of how many km on a charge even take into account winter driving with heater on plus the extra force needed to pull a vehicle in heavy snow conditions? How about people perhaps with just enough juice to get home but get stuck in gridlock from an accident in the winter? Just sounds like possible nitemare. Buying an Electric Car for a Cold Climate? Double Down on Range.

Again, I am not against electric, just they are likely not for everyone or every type of condition. Let those who they suit buy them, and if they get good enough they will expand. The above article states mileage could be cut in half during cold temps! That’s huge. What about after your batteries are a bit older? Another article says batteries are made to last but ultimately lose capacity over time like a cell phone can. Great, my 150 mile range battery can only do 75 in the cold, then after a few years that get cuts more, then I get stuck in a traffic jam……this sounds like a joke that we are all supposed to be driving these.

Hey, setting out with a full tank of gas, there are absolutely no doubts other than ofcourse a breakdown that can happen to anything, but in general cars and trucks are very reliable and have been for many years. Sounds like a lot of worry and planning and BS driving electric - other than if you have a relatively short commute, in which case they are likely ideal. Do you want to set out in January on a trip across the country, not sure where your next charge will come from? You arrive at your planned charging spot and spots are all taken and backed up, charging station is down etc. etc.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Look what happened to Diesel Fuel when diesel cars and trucks where all the rage! Like Grover stated above, electricity prices are going to go up and you will pay more for ALL of the electricity you use. Gasoline will become very expensive due to low volume production same as all petroleum products. Just stop and think, there is almost nothing we have today that is not part of a petroleum product. Like I have been saying, hang on to your hat. The ride is going to get real rough and our life style is going to change dramatically.

Bob

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I do not believe that speaking our minds need to be political. This is something that we have been taught between family members and friends that has been grossly misleading. Does it really matter what your brother in law believes? He is not posting on this forum. This thread is not a family gathering where all hell breaks loose. In other words we don't need to worry about the political nonsense.
Your Idea of politics, and mine are different I do believe. Correct me if I wrong, We are actually talking about politics right at this moment.
This threads topic is driven by Govt change, and group believe’s. So If Canada goes ahead and bans the sale of the ICE in 2035, What I was referring to in my last post. With that Govt announcement, do you honestly believe, the ICE will last to 2035 in the powersports industry? I dont, its a unnecessary or non essential item that adds to the carbon footprint. California emissions standards dictate all of North America, people should be taking note as to what’s going on in our country and others. Especially with the UN. Politics are driving this change, and should not be ignored.
This is my opinion and no one else’s, it just seems no one is talking about it, or maybe is afraid to? Maybe some prefer to look a blind and keep their head in the sand, cause they do not believe it will affect them.
I see major change coming, and I Dont like what I’m seeing. Look at the price of gas right now, and it’s going to go higher this year until a correction is made. Guaranteed there are people thinking right now that electric is cheaper than gasoline.

When I retire I would like to buy a motorhome and travel, announcements like the one recently, will have a major affect on those plans and that date is not that far away.

Disclaimer, I have no Idea if this post actually violates the Dootalk policy with certain keywords used in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Z7* and bar549

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think what point in life your in has a lot to do with your perspective. And certainly living in the greatest country in the world shapes my perspective as well.

* how ironic on a site called doo talk in some cases your constitutional rights are removed without consent.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I read this morning that North America looks like a giant ash tray from above due to fires. They showed some photos, and compared to other years. Maybe they could focus on some miraculous new fire fighting and prevention measures. Seems like this is producing more air pollution than vehicles. I know it’s impossible to control completely but maybe room to improve.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
do you honestly believe, the ICE will last to 2035 in the powersports industry?
Yes I do honestly believe ICE will keep going for the foreseeable future. This goes for both cars and snowmobiles.

Correct me if I wrong, We are actually talking about politics right at this moment.
Driven by politics, yes. About politics, no. The difference compared to a heated family dinner is that we are focusing on the technology and issues that surround the ever growing use of EVs.

Lithium is still in its infancy. If we can't even work an argument for Lithium batteries being anywhere near cost effective as leaded flooded batteries for battery banks, how can they be expected to replace even 25% of ICE in the next 10 years? This is only one aspect as there are myriad of road blocks that will prevent this from happening. We can sing and dance about EVs, and make all kinds of fancy graphs with forecasts. None of that will make it happen.

This was my point with useless family type debates that spend 95% on what has not yet happened, and less than 5% on the actual technology, infrastructure and roll-out. The two most important words for the feasibility of EVs reaching anywhere near 25% of new car sales in the next 10 years, or 50% in the next 20 years are viability and sustainability.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
* how ironic on a site called doo talk in some cases your constitutional rights are removed without consent.
The same happens at family dinners. We are given an allowance until mom or dad decide it is time to set aside our differences and enjoy dinner. If you are the one hosting, then how long will you allow these so called rights if your guests get out of hand around kids?

·
Registered
937 Posts

-grover
EV’s aren’t going to be cheaper for most. If regulations force them into the market, they definitely won’t be cheaper (I don’t think they will ever be cheaper regardless). Charging stations will take advantage of the forced demand if they are forced in. It’s one of the big reasons EV’s must compete in the market on their own merit.

The tax is what it is. Roads needs to be maintained and that costs money. If EV’s are forced on us, charging stations will quickly find a way to make quick charge cost as much as a gas fill up at $3/gallon.

Reactions: Daag44

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
EV’s aren’t going to be cheaper for most. If regulations force them into the market, they definitely won’t be cheaper (I don’t think they will ever be cheaper regardless). Charging stations will take advantage of the forced demand if they are forced in. It’s one of the big reasons EV’s must compete in the market on their own merit.

The tax is what it is. Roads needs to be maintained and that costs money. If EV’s are forced on us, charging stations will quickly find a way to make quick charge cost as much as a gas fill up at $3/gallon.
That's another reason why EVs are decades from reaching 100% of new sales. Did you read the
latest about the company that was picked for the U.S. Postal Service delivery truck? I am next to the border so I picked it up yesterday on FM 107.9, but it's already online in podcast and transcript format.

EVs have an undoubtedly large role to play in the future to lower smog. It's the complexities for such a transition that are mind boggling. Daily commutes to metros is where I believe they are most needed. The majority of those commuters live in suburbs and rural areas that are much less density populated and easier on the grid for increase use of electricity. Most homes in my neighborhood have two cars, so switching one of them to an EV in the next 10 years makes a lot of sense. The EV will likely be the one of the two cars used for daily commutes. Of those EVs, the majority will have more than enough capacity on a full charge to make into the city and back since an hour in traffic with an EV requires little to no capacity.

The perspective of how EVs will fit the growing demand for a low carbon footprint is what I believe will change as soon as in the next year. The EVs will dramatically change how we commute, but it will be different then how we are lead to fear the impact on ICE, and how we are lead to fear rash decisions. The postal delivery trucks is a perfect example of being at least decades from an EV only solution. Considering that ICE could be banned in the near future is to me not the best way of looking at it. I prefer to examine if the EV can replace ICE and the answer today is not a chance. I can fear a whole bunch of things, but a ban on ICE is not one of them.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
View attachment 1972854
This was last year in the UP ! What happens if my battery dies trying to get out ?
That's simple, all EV sold in the snow belt states will come with a snow shovel and a longer charging cord. LOL

Seriously, this has been my concern since day 1, I can see EV being good in some areas like big cities, burbs and etc, but not rural America or Canada.

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts
^^^ Amen. Thats been a big part of my issue since the beginning - what works for some will not work for others. Why does EVERYTHING have to be an all or nothing deal?

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Oops, maybe you can't charge them over night...

Oops, maybe you can't charge them over night...

Every time I climb in my gasoline powered F150, this feeling of comfort and security comes over me because I know that the gasoline that powers my ICE is safe and my car is not going to catch fire going down the highway and explode on the side of road (
), refueling it at the nearest gas station is a completely safe experience (
), and when I pull it in my garage at night I know my family is safe and my truck will be waiting for me in the morning (
). And, if the worst should happen and I'm in a collision, I'm certainly not going to meet a fiery death (3 killed, including toddler, in fiery wrong-way crash on Westpark Tollway).

All I have to worry about is my F150 completely going dead while I'm driving down the highway. Yep, this is a common problem with F150's.

Nothing is perfect. Everything has it's problems.

Reactions: Daag44
301 - 320 of 408 Posts