Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Nice idea, but in the video, from the 1:45 to 1:55 mark, I'm not buying what he's selling. It's these kind of statements that make me question everything that comes out of his mouth. By the looks of the stock price from the original announcement to today it looks like I'm not the only one.

He says there are currently natural gas filling stations "all over the US". I just looked, according to energy.gov there are currently 860 of them in the US. Yes, that's a few, but certainly not "all over the US". If he means many concentrated in some areas he's 100% correct. If he means Montana or the Dakotas he's not. ;)

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/natural_gas_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=CNG

Buy comparison, according to fueleconomy.gov there are 168,000 gas stations.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/quizzes/answerquiz16.shtml

Serious question though - why bother with burning gas to make electricity just so they can burn the electricity? Why not just go straight to a CNG vehicle??? Our first MH was a 1980. The first gas crisis was still a thing then and that MH would run on either gas or propane - it actually worked quite well. I know one school locally has a bunch of small block GM engines running on natural gas making power. They run clean and, from what I've been told, pretty much maintenance free.

Oh wait, thats right, natural gas is bad now too - just ask California.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/13112020/san-francisco-natural-gas-ban/

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
https://electrek.co/2021/04/07/norways-gas-car-sales-crashing-world-follow/

Interesting to see how fast the change to hybrid and electric is happening in Norway.

ICE and diesel make up only a small percentage of new sales.
It won't happen here at those rates for many reasons, but it's interseting to watch as they transition. Multiple power sources will coexiest for a couple decades here yet, for those whose needs are greater then current electric can provide.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
they can't make us want to drive em, unless the price of gas goes stoopid high, hello, somebody is eliminating 62 billion subsidies, gas companies are going to make it up somewhere, 5 dollars a gallon within 2 years, and all of a sudden we can't afford to not go electric. fkrs have a plan. just like red october, how do ya get naval men off a nuclear sub, yo make them want to get off.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Electricity is an amazing source of energy.....problem is it’s a form of energy that needs another form of energy to produce, it suffers heavily from transmission losses and loses efficiency in storage at lower temps.Unfortunately there is no free lunch in the laws of physics. An Imperial gallon of gas has 125,000 btus of heat energy and weighs 7 lbs. It had the same energy a million years ago and will in another million years, regardless of the temperature. You can replenish a million btus worth of energy in your truck in a minute and a half with gasoline. It’s to bad they stopped teaching science and physics in high school, there is a lot of young people and now politicians that don’t understand energy. Turning a tap doesn’t heat water and flicking a light switch isn’t what makes electricity. Fools.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Here is something to ponder, if electric is to replace ICE, why isn't everyone driving a hybrid right now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Electricity is an amazing source of energy.....problem is it's a form of energy that needs another form of energy to produce, it suffers heavily from transmission losses and loses efficiency in storage at lower temps.Unfortunately there is no free lunch in the laws of physics. An Imperial gallon of gas has 125,000 btus of heat energy and weighs 7 lbs. It had the same energy a million years ago and will in another million years, regardless of the temperature. You can replenish a million btus worth of energy in your truck in a minute and a half with gasoline. It's to bad they stopped teaching science and physics in high school, there is a lot of young people and now politicians that don't understand energy. Turning a tap doesn't heat water and flicking a light switch isn't what makes electricity. Fools.
While everything you say may be 100% true, the source from which that gasoline is derived has been extinct for many millions of years. I would also not expect in the next million years, that a scenario would reoccur in which that source would repopulate this planet.
Few things in this world are perfect. Almost everything is a compromise, and a balance between the pros and cons.
There is no denying this applies to the use of electricity in high demand uses such as transportation.
While the laws of physics can't be rewritten, technology will continue to improve and there will still be a source for generating that electricity for free in a million years.
New home construction is also in the earliest stages of net zero, and will change the industry standard over time.
We have been very comfortable in our ways, and will continue to be for some time, but a new normal will exist in coming decades.
For many reasons North America will be behind other parts of the world in this transition, so for those completely opposed to any of it, there is little to worry about for a long time yet.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Here is something to ponder, if electric is to replace ICE, why isn't everyone driving a hybrid right now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Perhaps it's that there are few hybrids available in the North American market.
This chart from a previous article shows how the transition is happening in Norway. I wouldn't expect we will see those kind of numbers here for another 15 years or more. By comparison EV sales in the U.S. were about 2%.
Nothing to panic about for a long time.
79a5bc08c84c5ba4bdca0bd95f83fc14.jpg

Reactions: joevella and Daag44

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
While everything you say may be 100% true, the source from which that gasoline is derived has been extinct for many millions of years. I would also not expect in the next million years, that a scenario would reoccur in which that source would repopulate this planet.
I tend to think there is another answer, one far more plausible - as the core of the earth naturally heats and cools new pools of oil are formed. To think the billions of barrels of oil we continue to harvest all came from a few dead dinasours is a bit laughable when you think about it rationally.

If it truly was a "fossil fuel" why don't we just make more? We're building pearls and diamonds in a lab now, why don't we do the same with oil? Because we don't need to. ;)

Another question - already mentioned, when I was 6 years oil we were told we would run out of oil in 10 years. Here we are 50 years later, we're using more than ever in history, and there is no end in sight. 50 years ago the greenies tried to scare us with the "we're going to run out!" BS - that was obviously a lie. Now they're trying to scare us with some carbon gas BS, only now they've figured out they can tax us on something you can't see, smell, taste, or touch, yet sheeple are scared of it.

Kind of silly actually.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Perhaps it's that there are few hybrids available in the North American market.
This chart from a previous article shows how the transition is happening in Norway. I wouldn't expect we will see those kind of numbers here for another 15 years or more. By comparison EV sales in the U.S. were about 2%.
Nothing to panic about for a long time.
79a5bc08c84c5ba4bdca0bd95f83fc14.jpg

Or like in my brothers case, it was the most unreliable vehicle he ever owned. It would just stop working and no one could figure out why. His was so bad he gave back the rebates and tax incentives to be rid of it. :shrug

Reactions: Caper11

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I tend to think there is another answer, one far more plausible - as the core of the earth naturally heats and cools new pools of oil are formed. To think the billions of barrels of oil we continue to harvest all came from a few dead dinasours is a bit laughable when you think about it rationally.

If it truly was a "fossil fuel" why don't we just make more? We're building pearls and diamonds in a lab now, why don't we do the same with oil? Because we don't need to. ;)

Another question - already mentioned, when I was 6 years oil we were told we would run out of oil in 10 years. Here we are 50 years later, we're using more than ever in history, and there is no end in sight. 50 years ago the greenies tried to scare us with the "we're going to run out!" BS - that was obviously a lie. Now they're trying to scare us with some carbon gas BS, only now they've figured out they can tax us on something you can't see, smell, taste, or touch, yet sheeple are scared of it.

Kind of silly actually.
I certainly don't know any more than any scientist so I'll just go with the common assumptions.

Reactions: Daag44 and jcjc

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm at a disadvantage in believing the scientists so I'll allow you to believe what you wish.
Did you also believe all this nonsense when it was shouted by scientists?

1960s - Scientists claim oil will be gone in 10 years! - Wrong.

1970s - Another Ice age coming in 10 years! - Wrong.

1980s - Acid rain will destroy all crops and we will all die in 10 years! - Wrong.

1990s - The Ozone layer will be destroyed in 10 years! - Wrong.

2000s - The Ice caps will be gone in 10 years! - Wrong.

2010s - Only 12 years before we are die of climate something - Wrong

Can't wait to see what the 2020s will be.... My favorite so far is Glacier National Park having to take down the signs that read Goodbye to the Glaciers by 2020. Wrong, again and again. Scientists for the win!

·
Registered
240 Posts

interesting vid on the stagnant state of battery tech but profiles the breakthroughs of two companies that will drastically improve charge times and energy density. the first 4 minutes are just about battery history and construction. the second company mentioned has a 200 million dollar investment from VW so that's a pretty impressive vote of confidence.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
200 million? pfft, nothing compared to the 2.8 billion they paid for emmisions tampering, in the grand scheme, it was probably a felel good pr stunt f to make em look like they care. to the above poster that thought fuel comes from dinosaurs, ha, no, fossil fuel just term for the era in which it comes from, the era where plants ruled the world and put down layer upon layer of organic cpnds that over time turned to coal, natural gas, and petroleum's........ roughly speaking, oil isn't dino juice concentrate!

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Here in Alaska batteries don't do very well. Something that has a 100 mile range in California might get around 60 miles here in the winter.

I drive a hybrid car in the summer. I drove it in the winter as well a few years back, but the engine was always running and the weight of the battery made it tough to stop or tough to get going through snow.

That aside, here in the interior 95% of our electricity comes from diesel fired power plants. It used to come from Coal Fired, but the environmentalist stepped in and shut that down. Now, Usibelli Coal mine (one of the largest in the US) ships most of their coal to Taiwan so they can burn it instead. Wind is an option, but last report I saw was that it takes about 25 years for Wind Turbines to make up the environmental loss that went into making them, at which post most would either need to be replaced or repaired to a point of using almost as much environmental cost as the original.

Solar would work great if we had sunlight when we really needed it. Fact is, in the middle of winter we get 3-4 hours of daylight and that is when the most electricity is needed. With no effective way to really store it, Solar just does not work very well up here. The cost is to high and the return is to low.

Tough to get Hydroelectric going when the water is frozen for 5 months of the year. Sure it flows under the ice, and they've actually done studies around the Matanuska river, but the greenies stepped in again and shut that down due to the canyon having some rare owl in there. (owl is rare, but all over in south east). Part of the studies focused on harsh winter weather issues and break up.

Our best option up here in the Clean Coal power plants. The University has one and there is one down in Healy, but I think the Healy plant is not providing power at this time. Healy is where Usibelli Coal Mine is located at. Our electricity cost would be 1/4 of what they are now if we could use coal instead of diesel.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
I've posted before in the early 70s the scare was a coming ice age. In the late 70s coal scrubbers were mandated. If you want to claim man made "global warming" I say we cleaned ourselves into it. The coal particulate acted as a filter for the sun, we removed the filter. Many (most?) think that was crazy.

Well, well, well...look what the hero Bill Gates is proposing;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.interestingengineering.com/bill-gates-dim-sun-harvard

Wouldn't it just be easier to get rid of the coal scrubbers and go back to what we were doing before we "fixed" the last problem of the coming ice age?

Oh wait! That wouldn't cost the taxpayers anything and there wouldn't be any boogie man carbon to tax.

And let's add this, we want solar power but we need to dim the sun??? Does that make any sense to anyone???

This whole thing is so stupid...

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
1 - 20 of 386 Posts