Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never before have I had a sled with an electric temp gauge. I've always had the idiot lights. I have a feeling that the previous owner added it, and may have used the sending unit that was for the idiot light. Does anyone know if the sending units are the same? What are some other things that I should look for? Thanks for any advice.

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
The sending unit is different.The idiot light uses an off/on sensor and the gauge uses a variable voltage sensor.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes, the sending units are different.i just installed a koso slimline sensor, 50$ eBay, comes with new sensor, and everything is included. Not a bad deal if yours is finished

·
Mr Top Whore
103,099 Posts
Check all the wiring to the sending unit and the back of the gauge, make sure nothing came loose or none of the wires got frayed. You can get an ohm meter and remove the sending unit and heat it up and check for voltage change, that way you can rule out if the unit is junk.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did 2 last summer on my 98 and 97 mxz's. you'll need to replace your sending unit like they said already and unplug the idiot light. if u r using a doo gauge just plug it in and then connect the purple wire from the idiot light to the green wire on your gauge. if u need more help feel free to pm me or there r some great threads here u could read. good luck

·
Registered
460 Posts
check the resistance across the sensor. also sometimes the post on the back of the gauge get rusty, take the nuts off and clean the studs with a wire brush

·
Registered
460 Posts
The studs don't conduct any current, they just hold the gauge in the dash.
yes they also hold the gauge into the dash. if you remove the gauge mount there is another set of nuts on the studs that hold the ring terminals for the 2 wires that go to the sending unit. this is where the studs need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
890 Posts
yes they also hold the gauge into the dash. if you remove the gauge mount there is another set of nuts on the studs that hold the ring terminals for the 2 wires that go to the sending unit. this is where the studs need to be cleaned.
I stand corrected. Senior moment. :rolleyes_old:

·
Registered
535 Posts
most important aside from correct sending unit is to unplug idiot light!

cheers

t

·
Registered
890 Posts
most important aside from correct sending unit is to unplug idiot light!

cheers

t
Probably the most important things that get overlooked, at least on a ZX. Now on an S chassis there is the issue of swapping wires in the connector that is near the rewind.

·
Registered
180 Posts
newbie here ..i have a 2002 mxz 700 that i believe when i got it someone had taken and put a temp gauge inand it doesnt work .. just looking things over where is the sending unit located ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
How could I tell if its the correct sending unit for the gague and not the light. I checked today and the light was also not unplugged

1 - 20 of 20 Posts