Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Elan chain case full of grease or old case oil 😳

4K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  northernthing 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 1974 Elan 250E single and started standard maintenance. Opened my chain case access hole to change oil and saw grease all over the inside case. Can someone tell me if it's grease or very old chain case oil. Suspect previous owner had chain case oil leaks and decided to put bearing grease instead. Any input appreciated.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sculpture Rim Circle

See less See more
#39 · (Edited)
While greasing all my bogie wheels and back drive bearings notice the chaincase seal was popped out slightly on the clutch side. Repositioned and added Kubota hydrostatic/gear oil (had on hand) and looks like it fixed the leak. Will run it a bit and then change the oil a few times to try and remove any water that got in. Should all help washout some of the grease that was added to the inside chaincase by previous owner. Still trying to find a replacement drive clutch. Might have found a used one close by. Any idea approximately how much those are worth? I also have the option of a new Comet clutch, balanced and ready to go for $340 +tax... any thoughts? Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.