Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
1973/75 Elan 250E Single
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 1974 Elan 250E single and started standard maintenance. Opened my chain case access hole to change oil and saw grease all over the inside case. Can someone tell me if it's grease or very old chain case oil. Suspect previous owner had chain case oil leaks and decided to put bearing grease instead. Any input appreciated.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sculpture Rim Circle

Registered
IMO that is grease thinned somewhat from leftover oil.
Agree with you that he was likely trying to seal up some leaks.

Registered
Not an expensive job, just a bit time consuming. I would think new bearings would be a good idea also.

Registered
Low gearing would help with pulling groomer. I would fix clutch before it shreds belts.

Order parts, get after it. Seek mechanic if need be..

Registered
1973/75 Elan 250E Single
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Understood, will park it until bottom chain case seals and bearings come in. Should I worry about upper chain case bearing cones and seal? Are they lubricated by chain case oil?
Any suggestions for parts in order to lower gearing?
Thank you!

Registered
Understood, will park it until bottom chain case seals and bearings come in. Should I worry about upper chain case bearing cones and seal? Are they lubricated by chain case oil?
Any suggestions for parts in order to lower gearing?
Thank you!
Yes, cone bearings lubricated by chain case oil but are quite durable.
The front axle bearing (housing side) gets lubed via chain case oil flowing through hollow front axle so wonder if grease is making it there?

Reactions: nm9stheham

Registered
have you done axle bearings and seals before? Its not that hard, I made a guide about it a few years ago..

To lower gearing in the chain case can increase the teeth on the lower sprocket or reduce on the upper sprocket, but you have a single and it is torky already, I would focus on getting the clutch working well, or even replace it with a comet duster (94C I think is the model), where you can tune it for low end or high end performance with different weights if you want.

Registered
1973/75 Elan 250E Single
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have you done axle bearings and seals before? Its not that hard, I made a guide about it a few years ago..

To lower gearing in the chain case can increase the teeth on the lower sprocket or reduce on the upper sprocket, but you have a single and it is torky already, I would focus on getting the clutch working well, or even replace it with a comet duster (94C I think is the model), where you can tune it for low end or high end performance with different weights if you want.
Agree with you about gearing. My groomer is quite small and drag is not that much, also don't use it often. Will take a good look at the clutch and post pictures when opened.
I completely rebuilt a Safari moteur a few years back with good success but by no means a mechanic. Thank you for the guide! Will definitely use it

Registered
Any suggestions for what type of lube to use for the clutch maintenance? Skidoo clutch lube for Elans is impossible to find
Keep an eye out for Halvor-Lube as it was made by the same company and from what I can see is the same product.

Beverage can Liquid Aluminum can Fluid Tin can

Reactions: northernthing

Registered
I bought a '74 Elan single last summer, it has one of those two roller clutches; the brass bushing that the inner part slides back and forth on was all worn out so that inner face was wobbling around. I was able to pick up a replacement from my parts guy near Masham, QC. I cleaned it up and lubed it with a bit of ceramic automotive brake caliper lube seems to be working ok.

Registered
1973/75 Elan 250E Single
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Removed the drive clutch to do maintenance and noticed wear on the arms inside the governor cup. The arms made marks inside clutch. Not sure of the term, but where the arms engage seems well worn down.

Is this clutch gone or salvageable???
Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Gas Automotive wheel system Metal Rim Kitchen appliance

Also found a washer that dropped from the clutch when I opened the governor cups. Suspect it was in the location on the image bellow in red. Maybe to compensate for the arm/clutch wear ? The parts diagram doesn't show that washer, unless I'm missing something...
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Registered
That looks like a clutch from an older model. I have one of those on my Olympique with a '68 299 motor. I put a thin layer of grease on any of the parts that rub together always thinking that none can get on the belt surfaces. Make sure the rivets that hold those weights are not worn to badly (the weights will be very wobbly side to side) they could separate. I would look for a replacement clutch in better condition from a boneyard or invest in a new Comet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts