Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The results were unreal!

First a little history. I have a 2014 Renegade 1200 that I knew needed some clutch attention. I was going to just put a PB 80 on it but I did not like some aspects of going that direction. So I pulled the clutches off including the driven shaft which was super easy to pull.

After inspecting everything, I thought the design of the Edrive was actually quite good. I made some calls to some of my past contacts to gather up some of my other buddies thoughts. I was a past oval racer, drag racer, speed runner and worked as a mechanic directly with the skidoo race department on clutching and setting up cross country sleds during 96 to 98. My clutching shinning moment was coming up with the CF1 ramp system on the 97 mxzx's. That ramp was intended as a drag racing ramp. I recieved it early in its life and found out I could make it work great, in many sleds applications.

Efficency is key! I am solidly in the camp that a driven compression spring is a step backwards for efficiency. My phone calls proved this. Torsion springs are a step above compression! Race sleds run torsion springs!

My Edrive needed new rollers, o rings and buttons after 4000 miles and you have to order them separately as the maintence kit uses the newer style (2016) sliders. I installed the Dalton wh/yl primary and the wh/si torsion secondary at 20 to 18lbs.

The results were so dramatic that it is was hard to believe I was on the same sled! Pulled wicked! 8200 to 8400 rpm depending on traction. A 15 mile an hour increase in top end and it lifts the skies alongggggg way! It would barely lift them before! Clutches was very cool after running five miles WFO across Kevlar lake at 110mph.

I think it could use a higher start rate on the helix but I want to put the MBRP header in this weekend and do the muffler mod and raise the rpm limiter, before I buy the helix that I think it will pull! I plan to grind the weights to make it shift what I am looking for and plan to go no higher than 8700 rpm. Clutch efficency gets worse the faster you spin it! Those that take the time to find the sweet spot of efficency prevail. No reason an Edrive can't be used! I don't buy that!

So in my initial testing for those that don't want to go the (closed faced non adjustable ramp) PB80, then rebuilding an Edrive and putting good springs in it will be very pleased with the results. It is easy to do and under $200 can. for everything. I will continue on my quest to make this Renegade the best efficient and speedy monster that it is. I will keep ya posted on my results. So far it is great!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm wondering if you can use the new flat sliders in your Edrive. I'm going to pull my son's 16 in the spring and report my findings then.
My round rollers flat spotted in under 900 miles in my 14.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,356 Posts
Good to hear. If we had any snow I'd probably do the same thing.

Reactions: DooDown87

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, Dalton white/silver. Perfect backshift. So good I have no reason to do further testing the spring preload until all the mods are done. Grabs the belt like a champ!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I've been looking. Where in u.s. Sells that secondary spring? I see many vendors with the primary springs

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,255 Posts
I use drive power two weeks ago for my 900 Springs it was $86 Canadian but after the USA exchange it cost me $62.18 for both springs primary and secondary delivered here in Maine

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rockerdan, could you elaborate on why i shouldn't expect resonable results above 8500 rpm? Did you have a failure?

It will be only for the remainer of the year (April). I plant to use a P drive next year!

·
Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
You mean yellow/silver?

*[email protected] 61mm *[email protected] 35.2mm

Black with Yellow/Silver DPSS-B/Y/S 49 lb. 78 lb.
Black with Yellow/Red DPSS-B/Y/R 80 lb. 125 lb.

Yes, Dalton white/silver. Perfect backshift. So good I have no reason to do further testing the spring preload until all the mods are done. Grabs the belt like a champ!

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Thanks for posting your results. I just installed the B/Y/S secondary spring and the W/B primary but I also have the W/Y to try.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
I've been looking. Where in u.s. Sells that secondary spring? I see many vendors with the primary springs
You can order them right on the Dalton site. I bought all 4 springs they offer for the Doo 4-strokes and with the excchange rate it worked out to $26.50 a piece including shipping.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was on the Speedo. I know its reads high, but it is giving the info I was looking for. I was Following a couple of tracks made a few days earlier. I live in the wilderness. Huge improvement in speed and pull!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts