Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
K, for 5 days I asked this guy how much shipping would be for the hood, I looked at others similar and they were all around 55$-75$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-ski-do...bayphotohosting

I ended up bidding and just winning it, now after the bids over, he tells me he wants 150$ for shipping from Michigan to Minnesota.

Thats not right, is it? Why are all the other S-Chassis hoods and CK3s costing around 60$ to ship, but this guy wants 150$ to ship this one???

Can anyone tell me if this is what it should cost to get this hood shipped? A fast reply would be helpful, as he is waiting for my payment. The auction says he wants to use paypal for the deposit and stuff right? Now he wants me to use a money order instead?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
that's a pretty classic ebay 'scam' although it's hard to really say it's a scam, that's the fee he's charging to put it in a box, take it to the shipping place, talk to the people at the counter and have it shipped. Never bid without shipping cost info, I learned the hard way too. I once won and item that should have been about $35 to ship and the guy sent me an itemized list for the box and packing materials, etc he had to buy, it ended up being closer to $75 than $35... He charged me for everything but the gas in his car to drive to the place where he shipped it...

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
Sorry to say, but he's ripping you off..however...you chose to bid without knowing the shipping rate...tell him you have a friend nearby that will come and pick it up...see what he says.
Gotta be someone on here thats close to this guy that could go get it and ship it to you for a normal fee.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I started sending him PMs everyday, from when there was about 5 days left on the auction, up untill the last day, asking what shipping price will be, and he never replied. The day after it was over, and after I won the auction, he said the shipping price will be $150.00, which is insane looking at shipping prices on other hoods around that size.

I looked at the guys feedback, and its 100% with like 50+ transactions, so thought it would be safe to just bid without knowing shipping details, guess I was wrong.

If anyone that lives near it would be able to assist me with the shipping, I would be able to pay shipping & then some, just as long as it isnt some 150$ crap like this guy is trying to get out of me, lol.

Really need to get this hood, cant go riding untill I Doo!

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
If the aution said paypal, and now he wants a money order it might be a total scam and you might never get the hood. There's your out right there, contact ebay and let them know this guy put paypal on the aution and now he won't take it.

Where in Michigan is this guy located?

·
D17
644 Posts
i have sold hoods b4 and 150$ is not outta the question if he goes to a UPS store or one of those places that really puts it to ya for irregular shaped/sized items. it was gonna cast me $115 to ship a REV front bumper to Canada once. I have alot of ebay dealings, on both sides. and shipping is always hard t oquote, and i do not like to quote it myself till after bidding.

Anyway, what i have done for shipping hoods, and other large items, and this works, is go to a Greyhound Bus station. Get a tickek for 50$ and put your hood on the bus. They are cool about doing this cuz not 2 many ppl ride the bus anymore, so any $$ they are happy to get. you may get lucky and the bus ppl might love snowmobiling and hook ya up better.

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
I've shipped outboard motors from NY to SC for under $50..several times..

Even taking that hood to one of those "Rape you while you wait" pack & ship places wouldn't be that much and all he'd have to do is drop it off.

·
Registered
863 Posts
sorry to hear about that.. Carp lake is about 5 hours from my house so i cant really help ya out. That does sound crazy at 150 you might just want to send him an email and ask him why his price is so high. If it was me and he didnt lower the price I just wouldnt pay. 1 negative feedback wont hurt you to bad. Then you could just leave him one and be even. I think there is a way to post a response of your own under your negative feedback so you could say that he wanted 150 bucks to ship a 30 # object.

Just my $.02

Zack

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
The way I have sent a few hoods is to "roll" the hood and tape it together. That way you can get it in a much smaller box. He'd have to take the windshield, gauge pod, and the vent screens off to be able to roll it up. The only thing I have had happen to them is the Bomby logo on the front likes to pop off, otherwise there isn't a problem.

The hoods that I have sent before that I sold through eBay only cost me $25 to send with UPS (I have sold 2 CKIII's, 3 F's, and 5 S's over the past few years). If he's going to one of those retail shipping stores, I wouldn't doubt that they will charge him $150. The store like that around here wanted $125 to send a S-chassis hood (it was brand new, no shield/gauges, no stickers..)

I would also ask around and see if someone on Dootalk (or anyone else you might know) would be interested in dropping by to pick up the hood on their trip back from the UP. Offer them like $55-75 to pick the hood up for you.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
popular eBay scam...

offer a low price then f'em on the shipping~! (although this one sounds even worse than most)

eBay sucks! I realize not all of it does but the vast majority of sellers are just scammers!

caveat emptor- lives!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah, I would tell that a-wipe to pound sand. There's no way your getting me to pay that...leave me bad feedback, I don't care, but at the end of the day you lose, cuz I aint payin your outrageous shipping fee!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here is eBay's policy on shipping ... I would send a copy of it to the seller and ask to justify his costs ... you may be able to use his response against him if you have to complain to eBay.

Excessive Shipping & Handling

eBay encourages sellers to clearly describe the item and terms of shipping and delivery in their listings to avoid possible confusion.

A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. However, shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring reasonable shipping charges that may also include handling fees.

In the case of disagreements between buyers and sellers regarding shipping charges, eBay encourages the parties to try to work the matter out.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need this hood in order to use my sled, so I will just pay the darn 150$ shipping, live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Velislide said:
I need this hood in order to use my sled, so I will just pay the darn 150$ shipping, live and learn I guess.
[snapback]703849[/snapback]​
Did you ask him to justify his shipping cost??

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've asked him alot of things, yet to get any reply from him, hes only replyed to me once saying to send a moneyorder to his address which was in the message, other then that I havent got a single word out of him, he wanted a 100$ deposit via paypal, so asking him if I can just pay the 350$ with paypal, that way he can screw me over if he doesnt send the hood, and would be able to get my money back.

Its been 9 days of sending him messages, from right when he put that hood up for sale, till now, sent him roughly 6-7 PMs, got one responce AFTER the auction ended, for what the shipping will be.

Grrrrrr, lol, I wanna get this dang hood!

·
Super Moderator
29,368 Posts
Once the hood arrives I'm thinking maybe some negative feedback might be in order. I hate doing that, and have only done it once, but there is a time for everything - and this might be the time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MX-Z Man said:
Once the hood arrives I'm thinking maybe some negative feedback might be in order. I hate doing that, and have only done it once, but there is a time for everything - and this might be the time.

[snapback]704388[/snapback]​
I might just leave neutral feedback explaining what happened, IF I get the hood lol, I got a message this morning and he said he would check with UPS about the shipping costs again.

·
Super Moderator
29,368 Posts
Thats a start. Hopefully it will all work out in the end.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts