Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for the add. I ride 2 Doo's, one for the hills and one for the prairies. 2016 Summit SP 163 currently getting Avid drivers, 165 Ice Age rails, and a 3" 3.5 pitch track as well as a 2009 Summit Everest 146. The XP has a few things I'd like to address to get it where I want it to be.

First being: front end. Having issues sourcing a used 36" off a late XP or XM for a reasonable price, and not interested in spending $1,100 (Canadian) on the S-36 kit from the dealer on a $3,500 sled. The shocks are the harder to find/expensive part, has anyone ran 36" arms with the factory early XP shocks meant for the 40" front end? Keeping in mind this is a prairie sled only and approach angle doesn't matter. Anyone done this and/or know the lengths of both shock types?

Second: steering. Looking at the Specialty Motorsports (C3) post forward kit (for both sleds). Anyone ran this kit and have input?

Next: bars and switches. Anyone done XM handlebars and switches (RER, lights, handwarmers) on an XP? I found a thread detailing how to do it with generic switches, wondering if anyone has made it happen with the XM parts. If not, what switches is everyone using to clean up the cluttered XP bars a bit?

Finally: skis. Obviously XM skis will fit the XM spindles if I find a front end, do Gen4 skis fit the XP and/or XM spindles? They're sometimes easier to find.

Thanks everyone, happy riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi everyone, thanks for the add. I ride 2 Doo's, one for the hills and one for the prairies. 2016 Summit SP 163 currently getting Avid drivers, 165 Ice Age rails, and a 3" 3.5 pitch track as well as a 2009 Summit Everest 146. The XP has a few things I'd like to address to get it where I want it to be.

First being: front end. Having issues sourcing a used 36" off a late XP or XM for a reasonable price, and not interested in spending $1,100 (Canadian) on the S-36 kit from the dealer on a $3,500 sled. The shocks are the harder to find/expensive part, has anyone ran 36" arms with the factory early XP shocks meant for the 40" front end? Keeping in mind this is a prairie sled only and approach angle doesn't matter. Anyone done this and/or know the lengths of both shock types?

Second: steering. Looking at the Specialty Motorsports (C3) post forward kit (for both sleds). Anyone ran this kit and have input?

Next: bars and switches. Anyone done XM handlebars and switches (RER, lights, handwarmers) on an XP? I found a thread detailing how to do it with generic switches, wondering if anyone has made it happen with the XM parts. If not, what switches is everyone using to clean up the cluttered XP bars a bit?

Finally: skis. Obviously XM skis will fit the XM spindles if I find a front end, do Gen4 skis fit the XP and/or XM spindles? They're sometimes easier to find.

Thanks everyone, happy riding.
I think running longer shocks would give you too much ski pressure. This might be nice on trail, but off trail it would suck especially when you're not in 2' of fluff. Would make it harder to pull over.

I put a C3 post forward on my XP, very worthwhile mod. Although it didn't seem to work with the stock post. I did it to 2 sleds and on both a made a straight post out of the stock post and used a heat gun to push the airbox in for clearance. This might not be everyone's experience as both were beat up mountain sleds that weren't straight anywhere. But I'd be prepared for that if I were to do another.

As far as the XM post goes I never bothered with mine. The XP post forward puts the post close to where the stock XM one is. I never felt the need to move it forward. With my XP post forward and XM I put the riser inline with the post and never touched it again.

On my XP I deleted all the Doo switches off my bars. I was forever bumper the RER and heater switches, pissed me off.
I put the headlight and heater switches down on the console behind/beside the steering post using toggle switches. On the bars I used motorbike kill switches for the kill switch and RER switch.
If I were to do it again I'd seriously look at using the X model gauge and XM switches (with the exception of the kill switch, that'll be my kill switch on every sled I own).
The X model gauge controls the heaters similarly to the XM, so with the X gauge and XM RER/hi-low switch and the XM dash rocker switches it should work.

I had Polaris Grippers on my XP and was very happy with them. They did require some modifications to work. I liked how nice they were to walk on when in the deep. The ski bushing situation was kind of a pain in the ass though. So if I were to do that again I'd just run a Doo DS2 or 3 whatever the XMs have. Those skis with a Munster bushing saver and you're set.
I'm pretty sure you could interchange skis from and XP all the way up to a G4, maybe even a Rev, but you'd have to check into that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jack-danels. Ended up finding an RAS2 front end off a 2015 Summit X T3 this morning but he already had the shocks sold. After looking, it appears that RAS2 shocks were 16.8" (vs the S36 16.5") and the stock early XP ones were 17.0". For what I'm doing with this sled I'm going to try and run them with the 2/10ths difference and see what happens. If I don't like it I'll probably end up buying some upgraded shocks for my XM and put the XM HPG's on the XP.

As far as the cluster goes, I've had my eye open for a X model cluster for a while, and yeah that makes sense how it would behave similar to the XM.

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Plus with the X model gauge you can display pcodes, so you don't have to take it to the dealer for a CEL.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yea, I think an X cluster is an X cluster. At least with the XPs. As far as that goes an XM cluster might work. The XP X model cluster is standard in the XM chassis

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'd just relocate the switch pod to the riser, i've re wired switches a couple times and it's always a pain in the butt. I put a 36" kit on my 08 summit and would not run the stock shocks, destroys the handling of the sled. i'd keep it stock until you acquire the appropriate shocks. i'm sure there are some cheap take off XM shocks around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'd just relocate the switch pod to the riser, i've re wired switches a couple times and it's always a pain in the butt. I put a 36" kit on my 08 summit and would not run the stock shocks, destroys the handling of the sled. i'd keep it stock until you acquire the appropriate shocks. i'm sure there are some cheap take off XM shocks around

I disagree on the wiring, I didn't find it to be a pain in the ass. It takes a little bit of time to do it nice, but in the end it looks way better than relocating the whole thing

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I disagree on the wiring, I didn't find it to be a pain in the "edit for bad language". It takes a little bit of time to do it nice, but in the end it looks way better than relocating the whole thing

looks may be the only advantage, and that's subjective. if you mount them between the risers like RSIs you barely notice it. Make sure you acquire the appropriate switch type to match your cluster, it also makes removing the console more difficult in the future and more expensive.

If you do new switches i'd just copy the RS sleds, good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts